The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

limecat
Lazy totalitarian

The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Post by limecat »

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Post by Twist »

Good! Surprised they left if so late to decide though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Glad to hear it

Although 3 bonus points for the slam seems like an odd number
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You can finish 2nd and have 22 points so the extra 3 for the slam takes you to a minimum of 23 and therefore the campionship.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote:You can finish 2nd and have 22 points so the extra 3 for the slam takes you to a minimum of 23 and therefore the campionship.
That's exactly it. You don't want a scenario that a team has a Grand Slam and loses the Championship. Very positive development but the one thing on my mind is Italy - if you get them early they're a very different proposition to if you get them in the last game having lost 3 or 4.....it also further reinforces the home and away advantage which in a tournament that rotates home and away probably makes a difference.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought Feehan was massively against this? Wonder what changed?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Very positive development but the one thing on my mind is Italy - if you get them early they're a very different proposition to if you get them in the last game having lost 3 or 4
Similarly, they also beat South Africa last week and then lost to Tonga!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:You can finish 2nd and have 22 points so the extra 3 for the slam takes you to a minimum of 23 and therefore the campionship.
I know the purpose, 5 or 6 just had more pizzazz

Seen a few arguments against the bp based on weather and or having Italy home or away but same factors apply to points difference as it is
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Very positive development but the one thing on my mind is Italy - if you get them early they're a very different proposition to if you get them in the last game having lost 3 or 4
Similarly, they also beat South Africa last week and then lost to Tonga!
Yep, them (and their clubs) should have "Can we be arsed today?" written below the crest!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This is a development which has been awaited for a few years past. However.......

The advantage of playing at home in the ultra-competitive 6N is such that, although the scoring system is being trialled for two years, it will almost certainly create significant controversy. The fact is that whether the Five or Six Nations, there have been many more instances of ties on points than Grand Slam winners. In recent years, the determination of winners by Points Difference has designated winners where previously the Championship was shared.

With Prize Money and Team Sponsor bonuses at issue, there is increasing pressure to determine out and out winners. The imbalance of home and away fixtures means that inevitably there must be a rota of fixtures which alters year by year. No longer should Ireland automatically have England and France, either home or away, on alternate years and equally so for the other Nations.

Experimenting with different points allocation three years ago, I came to the conclusion that based on a 4 point win, (and a bonus point structure as now introduced) there should also be two bonus points for two successive away wins in a season.

However...........we shall see.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Now that Stephen Jones- the hack not the ex-player, has declared his opposition to the changes, we can all embrace the changes as being reasonable and overdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Ruckedtobits wrote:This is a development which has been awaited for a few years past. However.......

The advantage of playing at home in the ultra-competitive 6N is such that, although the scoring system is being trialled for two years, it will almost certainly create significant controversy. The fact is that whether the Five or Six Nations, there have been many more instances of ties on points than Grand Slam winners. In recent years, the determination of winners by Points Difference has designated winners where previously the Championship was shared.

With Prize Money and Team Sponsor bonuses at issue, there is increasing pressure to determine out and out winners. The imbalance of home and away fixtures means that inevitably there must be a rota of fixtures which alters year by year. No longer should Ireland automatically have England and France, either home or away, on alternate years and equally so for the other Nations.

Experimenting with different points allocation three years ago, I came to the conclusion that based on a 4 point win, (and a bonus point structure as now introduced) there should also be two bonus points for two successive away wins in a season.

However...........we shall see.
Yep, the only way to eliminate that advantage is to have home and away fixtures.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

a positive is in such a tight tournament denying the opposition (losing) bonus points becomes really important too
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The one downside to all of this is that these change willl increase the pressure to improve defence and could make the game more dangerous for the players.
It will put even more pressure on our already struggling match officials.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

As I understand it, the retro-active addition of bonus points doesn't change any of the tournament outcomes this decade. This being correct, what is the point?
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:As I understand it, the retro-active addition of bonus points doesn't change any of the tournament outcomes this decade. This being correct, what is the point?
optics?
more tries?
marketing gimmick?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:As I understand it, the retro-active addition of bonus points doesn't change any of the tournament outcomes this decade. This being correct, what is the point?
optics?
more tries?
marketing gimmick?
I'd say you're on the money with your first and last points
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

wrestling the tournament out of the dark ages and hidebound tradition.... Just to prove that all change is not necessarily bad.

In advance of moving the tournament by a few weeks as part of a global season.

So. To soften us up a bit in summary.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:wrestling the tournament out of the dark ages and hidebound tradition.... Just to prove that all change is not necessarily bad.
Any change purely for the sake of change, without any other benefit, is bad though.

Once the grand slam bonus points are there its fine by me, but I just don't see the point.

How does this move the tournament out of the dark ages and hidebound tradition?
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote:wrestling the tournament out of the dark ages and hidebound tradition.... Just to prove that all change is not necessarily bad.
Any change purely for the sake of change, without any other benefit, is bad though.

Once the grand slam bonus points are there its fine by me, but I just don't see the point.

How does this move the tournament out of the dark ages and hidebound tradition?
I like things standardised which means I like it but dislike the 3pt GS allowance.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan