Scrap the Lions?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Scrap the Lions?

Post by simonokeeffe »

Who would you pick as Scotlands hookers?

also Ive just noticed that Wales won the last championship in a Lions year
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:Who would you pick as Scotlands hookers?

Me? Any of Fraser Brown, James Malcolm, Pat MacArthur, or Stuart McInally. Not fussy really.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

kermischocolate wrote:

Me? Any of Fraser Brown, James Malcolm, Pat MacArthur, or Stuart McInally. Not fussy really.
Ah its personal, now I get ya :D
kermischocolate
Mullet

simonokeeffe wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:

Ah its personal, now I get ya :D
Not really. I'd happily have McInally for example. Just don't rate Ford. Or Laidlaw.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Nobody rates Laidlaw, except Cotter

Hidalgo Clyne seems to have fallen off a cliff form wise too
kermischocolate
Mullet

simonokeeffe wrote:Nobody rates Laidlaw, except Cotter

Hidalgo Clyne seems to have fallen off a cliff form wise too
Yes. Which is sad to see. But then, in fairness, he's not got much outside him to help. I thought Wee Duncy was finding some good form last season- hope that continues now he's moved to The Dark Side.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 47499.html

Have to agree with Clive, I am a bit embarrassed to say. Listening to some Irish players speaking of the Lions is as cringey as suffering through an x-factor contestant sob/back-story. Sadly my girlfriend still watches the occasional x-factor show. :cry:

#ScrapTheLions
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

LENSTA wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 47499.html

Have to agree with Clive, I am a bit embarrassed to say. Listening to some Irish players speaking of the Lions is as cringey as suffering through an x-factor contestant sob/back-story. Sadly my girlfriend still watches the occasional x-factor show. :cry:

When I hear irish players drone on how the Lions is the ultimate accolade it makes my favking blood boil - if the ultimate accolade for an Irish player is not pulling on the green jersey then I give up. The Lions is a four yearly side show which results in defeat and loads of injuries as NZ/SA/oz try and put manners on the NH. And this time around with that pr1ck Gatland in charge once again...
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

brenno wrote:
When I hear irish players drone on how the Lions is the ultimate accolade it makes my favking blood boil - if the ultimate accolade for an Irish player is not pulling on the green jersey then I give up. The Lions is a four yearly side show which results in defeat and loads of injuries as NZ/SA/oz try and put manners on the NH. And this time around with that pr1ck Gatland in charge once again...
They're professional rugby players. I'd imagine that for a lot of them, their value system since they have been about 14 years old has been getting picked for the next team up ... it's hard to change that mindset. It's not just ambition, but maybe tied in with self-worth.

If they make Leinster Schools they want to make Irish Schools/ Irish Clubs; when they make Irish Schools, they want to make Irish 20s; when they make Irish 20s, they want to get an Academy spot; when they have an Academy spot they want to get a senior provincial contract; when they get that contract and start playing in the Pro12, they want to start in European games; when they're starting in European games, they want to get an international cap, maybe on a summer tour in November; then they want a Six Nations cap; then they want to go to the World Cup; then they want to play for the Lions.

The Lions is seen as a higher standard/more elite than regular international rugby because a] it only happens once every four years and b] you're trying to fit four squads worth of international players into one international squad. I think players see it as a massive honour, but I don't necessarily think that playing for the Lions means more to Irish players than playing for their country. They might see it as a higher professional achievement, because it's a tougher team [in general] to get picked for.

Also, loads of free gear.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

All about the swag
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Peg Leg wrote:All about the swag
and the after dinner speaking gigs
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's their chance to compare themselves when playing on the same team as their home nation rivals. It's a stat that's thrown out a lot in summarising careers. Did they get many international caps, did they go on many tours, did they play in the tests?

It doesn't matter as much with player movement, but that makes it more important (relatively) in Ireland where we have less of it.

In assessing the impact of players like Sexton, O'Gara, Heaslip and Stringer; those few caps have an outsized role.

There's a bubble around players who did well for Ireland like Stringer that was popped by them not being good enough for the Lions.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

After a good few beers at the weekend and no motivation to spend an hour flicking through SKY looking for something good to watch, I noticed "Rugby's Funniest Moments" was showing. Undoubtedly this was originally made for DVD release before ending up on TV. I really feel sorry for anyone who found this in their Christmas stocking. Who knew that Alex Payne f%~king up his intro to a game involving Wasps is one of the funniest things to ever happen in rugby?

Well, among-st those interviewed was Jamie Roberts, who, in some hilarious Lions based story which I've completely forgotten about, talked about the British Lions meeting the UK Prime Minister David Cameron. It got me wondering; do the Lions ever met the Irish President or PM upon returning from tour?

WalesOnline wrote about the meeting at 10 Downing Street under this headline:

British Lions tour win inspired my son to play rugby, says David Cameron
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Did it not get you wondering why he calls it the British Lions?

Can we rename it the Celtic and English Lions? And then drop the English part when we feel like it.
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

Make it the European Lions or the Six Nations Lions or scrap it. Otherwise it's just an English imperial jolly.
The Bird is the Word
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Champions Cup style

Sky Sports Lions this year / BT Sport Lions in 2019.....
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

The Standard Life Investments Sky Sports Lions.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

11 Irish for the NZ suicide tour. How many won't return or will come back never to be the same again? Best case scenario we only lose two. Worst case we lose five.

The whole thing is a huge non contest. Already know it will be 3 zip. If this one is as big a disaster as the last trip to NZ, it might actually bring an end to the whole jaded pompous gravy train.

Nobody would be more disappointed than NZ/SA/Aus. The Lions is just a surreptitious mechanism to finance our own subjugation.
#ScrapTheLions
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

LENSTA wrote:11 Irish for the NZ suicide tour. How many won't return or will come back never to be the same again? Best case scenario we only lose two. Worst case we lose five.

The whole thing is a huge non contest. Already know it will be 3 zip. If this one is as big a disaster as the last trip to NZ, it might actually bring an end to the whole jaded pompous gravy train.

Nobody would be more disappointed than NZ/SA/Aus. The Lions is just a surreptitious mechanism to finance our own subjugation.
Potentially a reason why NZ might conceivably lose a test this summer deliberately. If the result is in the balance going into the final test then the Lions will survive and bring lucre to the SH teams for at least the next 12 years.
Four Stars
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Lar wrote:
LENSTA wrote:11 Irish for the NZ suicide tour. How many won't return or will come back never to be the same again? Best case scenario we only lose two. Worst case we lose five.

Potentially a reason why NZ might conceivably lose a test this summer deliberately. If the result is in the balance going into the final test then the Lions will survive and bring lucre to the SH teams for at least the next 12 years.

I can imagine someone asking the NZ players or coaches to take it easy on the Lions. They'll go all out to annihilate the Lions by as much as they can.

Its a good money making excercise for the broadcasters and the SH big 3. The home nations get a tired and injured squad the next season and an extended season to look forward to soon because super rugby had to take A break because of an international window. :lol: