How many NIQ's next season?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: How many NIQ's next season?

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:
We all know you do. But you thinking you are accurate, and you actually being accurate are two entirely different things.
Is Nagle behind the following locks this weekend - Ross Molony & Mike McCarthy? Yes.

Was Nagle behind the following locks last weekend - Ross Molony & Mick Kearney? Yes.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

goreyguy wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
We all know you do. But you thinking you are accurate, and you actually being accurate are two entirely different things.
Is Nagle behind the following locks this weekend - Ross Molony & Mike McCarthy? Yes.

Was Nagle behind the following locks last weekend - Ross Molony & Mick Kearney? Yes.
Was Nagle on level peggings with Kearney more often than not the last month? Yes.

Was Nagle ahead of Kearney at numerous times this season? Yes.

Has Nagle more starts this season than Kearney? Yes.

Has Nagle played more Champions Cup rugby than Kearney? Yes.

Has Nagle played more inter-pros than Kearney? Yes.

Not as clear now is it?

Actually, why am I still bothering? Answers on a postcard please.... :lol:
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

Was Nagle on level peggings with Kearney more often than not the last month? Yes.

Was Nagle ahead of Kearney at numerous times this season? Yes.

Has Nagle more starts this season than Kearney? Yes.

Has Nagle played more Champions Cup rugby than Kearney? Yes.

Has Nagle played more inter-pros than Kearney? Yes.

Not as clear now is it?

Actually, why am I still bothering? Answers on a postcard please.... :lol:
Pretty clear that as of right now, Nagle is viewed as a A level lock by management.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I think our second row situation is quite strange - for me it has been consistently the most puzzling selection that Cullen/Lancaster have made this season. Triggs has been decent/good and the team has done really well with him in it. The only match he has missed since the start of December is the Munster game, which we lost. In all the other games he has played we have been handy winners, scoring sh*tloads of tries [Dragons, Northampton home and away, Ulster, Zebre and Montpellier].

You could make the argument that he's a player who allows those around him to play better, but to be frank I think that would be a stretch. I just don't know what's getting him the starts ahead of Mike Mc [who was outstanding in the first part of last season before his concussion] or Mick Kearney [who was good at the end of last season when he came into the team] or Ian Nagle or Ross Molony. I'm not worried that he's missing against Castres, for example ... I think any of the second rows on our books can do the job against them.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

OMG, look who's starting beside Nagle for the As. Mind. Blown.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-a- ... d=16LR7479
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:OMG, look who's starting beside Nagle for the As. Mind. Blown.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-a- ... d=16LR7479
I've never claimed Kearney was a top level lock, he is deservedly playing A rugby just like Nagle.

But Nagle is 5th/6th choice, which was my point at the start.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

goreyguy wrote:
molloyjh wrote:I think Nagle has looked pretty decent tbh. Better than I expected given his absence from the game. However one thing that most of our options lack and that Triggs has is an ability in the loose. Look at the wrap around between Triggs and Dev against Ulster that created the space for SOB down the left wing for example. He's really comfortable on the ball. Molony is the closest we have to that kind of lock outside of Dev but he's just not big enough yet. The others just don't seem to have the skills to implement the game we're looking to implement.

People talking about Ryan are being a bit premature. In the only A game he played this season he looked well out of his depth physically. I've great belief that he'll get to where he needs to be, but I'm not at all sure he'll be there next season.
You were also saying Adam Byrne wasn't upto much either based on pre season games, so let's not use one game in isolation as a predictor.?
You seem to have done that with regards to Beirne versus Saracens.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

suisse wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
molloyjh wrote:I think Nagle has looked pretty decent tbh. Better than I expected given his absence from the game. However one thing that most of our options lack and that Triggs has is an ability in the loose. Look at the wrap around between Triggs and Dev against Ulster that created the space for SOB down the left wing for example. He's really comfortable on the ball. Molony is the closest we have to that kind of lock outside of Dev but he's just not big enough yet. The others just don't seem to have the skills to implement the game we're looking to implement.

People talking about Ryan are being a bit premature. In the only A game he played this season he looked well out of his depth physically. I've great belief that he'll get to where he needs to be, but I'm not at all sure he'll be there next season.
You were also saying Adam Byrne wasn't upto much either based on pre season games, so let's not use one game in isolation as a predictor.?
You seem to have done that with regards to Beirne versus Saracens.
Beirne has been impressive all season for Scarlets, game versus Saracens just used as an example.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

goreyguy wrote:
But Nagle is 5th/6th choice, which was my point at the start.

Your point at the start was that he was a passenger.

He is not. He started two of our biggest games so far this season and acquitted himself well .

Johnny Hepworth was a passenger. The prop that we signed from Jersey and never played for us was a passenger. Ian Nagle has been a decent low cost signing for us who could do a job tomorrow night if called upon.

You seem to be getting pissy because you used the wrong wording in your initial description of him but that is your fault not everyone else's. He is currently down the pecking order...correct. He is a passenger...incorrect.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

GG has had a bee in his bonnet about signing Nagle since the summer, I would take his posts with more than a pinch of salt. Confirmation bias at play.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote:The only match he has missed since the start of December is the Munster game, which we lost. In all the other games he has played we have been handy winners, scoring sh*tloads of tries [Dragons, Northampton home and away, Ulster, Zebre and Montpellier].
So what you're saying is the only reason that we've been whuppin' sides is definitely Hayden Triggs? Give that man a HUGE contract!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote:I think our second row situation is quite strange - for me it has been consistently the most puzzling selection that Cullen/Lancaster have made this season. Triggs has been decent/good and the team has done really well with him in it. The only match he has missed since the start of December is the Munster game, which we lost. In all the other games he has played we have been handy winners, scoring sh*tloads of tries [Dragons, Northampton home and away, Ulster, Zebre and Montpellier].

You could make the argument that he's a player who allows those around him to play better, but to be frank I think that would be a stretch. I just don't know what's getting him the starts ahead of Mike Mc [who was outstanding in the first part of last season before his concussion] or Mick Kearney [who was good at the end of last season when he came into the team] or Ian Nagle or Ross Molony. I'm not worried that he's missing against Castres, for example ... I think any of the second rows on our books can do the job against them.
Maybe the prominence of Triggs is down to Lancaster? Early season Leo seemed to be backing Nagle, but maybe once Lancaster got to know the squad his preference was Triggs for his distribution, offloading and support play? Haven't there been a few mentions of Lancaster working closely with the forwards on their offloading? Triggs would be better equipped to play that type of rugby
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wixfjord wrote:GG has had a bee in his bonnet about signing Nagle since the summer, I would take his posts with more than a pinch of salt. Confirmation bias at play.
Or reality at play, Nagle is bang average, hence why he is playing A rugby as a 28 year old.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

leinsterforever wrote:
hugonaut wrote:I think our second row situation is quite strange - for me it has been consistently the most puzzling selection that Cullen/Lancaster have made this season. Triggs has been decent/good and the team has done really well with him in it. The only match he has missed since the start of December is the Munster game, which we lost. In all the other games he has played we have been handy winners, scoring sh*tloads of tries [Dragons, Northampton home and away, Ulster, Zebre and Montpellier].

Maybe the prominence of Triggs is down to Lancaster? Early season Leo seemed to be backing Nagle, but maybe once Lancaster got to know the squad his preference was Triggs for his distribution, offloading and support play? Haven't there been a few mentions of Lancaster working closely with the forwards on their offloading? Triggs would be better equipped to play that type of rugby
hopefully we don't revert to the other type if Lancaster leaves..
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

When I say we need an NIQ lock for next season to be competitive in the Euro Cup, that includes the possibility of retainign Triggs. We need a guy of at least his quality, and preferably a bit better.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
hugonaut wrote:The only match he has missed since the start of December is the Munster game, which we lost. In all the other games he has played we have been handy winners, scoring sh*tloads of tries [Dragons, Northampton home and away, Ulster, Zebre and Montpellier].
So what you're saying is the only reason that we've been whuppin' sides is definitely Hayden Triggs? Give that man a HUGO contract!
Fixed!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It's more likely Triggs has played to the best of his ability because of the quality of players around him and that's all we can reasonably expect of him - the lad has done well.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

what length contract is JGP park on? posting fuller version in project players thread but if residency gets pushed out to 5 years that could massively effect signing more projects and maybe JGP sticking around (know am skipping ahead at leats a year)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:what length contract is JGP park on? posting fuller version in project players thread but if residency gets pushed out to 5 years that could massively effect signing more projects and maybe JGP sticking around (know am skipping ahead at leats a year)
The five year thing is nonsense. Some player's careers might not last that long and the longevity trend is not going in the right direction either.
This is just Munster, in particular, jumping up and down because their lads are losing out to foreigners, so much for free movement of people (yeah as long as it's our people) etc!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

3 years. I doubt they will change the rules for players "already in the system"