Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lar
Mullet

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Post by Lar »

Edna Kenny wrote:It looks like the re-development won't happen until after next season, the last message was that the same season ticket arrangements would be in place for 2017-2018. I think they're working on getting permission for a roof on the north and south stands which would allow them to re-locate all season ticket holders whilst the new stand is built. Not sure how long the build will last but I expect it will be at least a year.
Thanks. So do we have the full permission now? And its only us getting permission for a a roof for us softies in the Anglesea at either end that is now delaying the development. So earliest is that we will have this done will be for the start of 2018/2019 - about 20 months time. Not too bad if we can achieve that.

How many in the current Anglesea? I think seat Nos are relatively low there but there are of course a couple of terraces. What capacity will we go to when the RDS is being re-developed? 14,000? It might be enough for a few games. But would be allowed an extra few games in the Aviva for bigger matches? Maybe all EPRC games and Ulster and Connacht in the Pro12?
Four Stars
Ibane
Beginner

Post by Ibane »

Why spend money renting the RDS when the Aviva's just over the road?
Aviva has about twice the capacity of Thomond Park.
Dublin has over ten times the population of Limerick.
The aviva if anything should too small for Leinster
Where's the flaw in the logic?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ibane wrote:Why spend money renting the RDS when the Aviva's just over the road?
Aviva has about twice the capacity of Thomond Park.
Dublin has over ten times the population of Limerick.
The aviva if anything should too small for Leinster
Where's the flaw in the logic?
I reckon you can figure that one out for yourself.
Let us know how long it takes you.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lar wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:It looks like the re-development won't happen until after next season, the last message was that the same season ticket arrangements would be in place for 2017-2018. I think they're working on getting permission for a roof on the north and south stands which would allow them to re-locate all season ticket holders whilst the new stand is built. Not sure how long the build will last but I expect it will be at least a year.
Thanks. So do we have the full permission now? And its only us getting permission for a a roof for us softies in the Anglesea at either end that is now delaying the development. So earliest is that we will have this done will be for the start of 2018/2019 - about 20 months time. Not too bad if we can achieve that.

How many in the current Anglesea? I think seat Nos are relatively low there but there are of course a couple of terraces. What capacity will we go to when the RDS is being re-developed? 14,000? It might be enough for a few games. But would be allowed an extra few games in the Aviva for bigger matches? Maybe all EPRC games and Ulster and Connacht in the Pro12?
Need to lose the "we". Be very clear this is the RDS Development Project and Leinster are tenants. Few organisations in Ireland have 230 years experience of dealing with Dublin property. Leinster Rugby is not one of them.
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Lar wrote:

Need to lose the "we". Be very clear this is the RDS Development Project and Leinster are tenants. Few organisations in Ireland have 230 years experience of dealing with Dublin property. Leinster Rugby is not one of them.
It may be their project but Leinster have become their bread and butter, a nice steady and predictable long term income. Gold dust for any landlord. There is no other comparable tenant that could step into the vacuum if Leinster left. This redevelopment has got Leinster's fingerprints all over it.

And sorry to be pedantic but no organisation has 230 years of experience in Dublin property. An organisation can only ever be as experienced as its living and breathing members. And in case you hadn't noticed the Dublin property market is a slightly different beast to what it was in the 1700's.
The Bird is the Word
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yes. There was a MASSIVE house price crash at the end of the 1700s. (Act of union) Prices took 3/4 of a century to recover to previous levels.

Huge tracts of inner Dublin changed from fashionable family dwellings to tenements. Families moved out to the sticks in Rathmines and Rathgar etc.
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

Apparently it's going to be renamed the Laya Healthcare Arena. Quite possibly the worst stadium renaming I've ever heard. Definitely won't strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. Even "The Aviva" sounds way better than it...
The Bird is the Word
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

PLaya stadium
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If you're relying on the name of a stadium to strike fear into the hearts of the opposition its time to take up dungeons and dragons
I have Bumbleflex
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Ultra Vires wrote:Apparently it's going to be renamed the Laya Healthcare Arena. Quite possibly the worst stadium renaming I've ever heard. Definitely won't strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. Even "The Aviva" sounds way better than it...
You've obviously never heard of SportsDirect.com@StJamesPark.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

What about the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville, Kuntz Stadium in Indianapolis or Wankdorf Stadium in Berne?

It could be a lot worse.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

A mix between Lola and Layla - two of the best songs ever.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:Yes. There was a MASSIVE house price crash at the end of the 1700s. (Act of union) Prices took 3/4 of a century to recover to previous levels.

Huge tracts of inner Dublin changed from fashionable family dwellings to tenements. Families moved out to the sticks in Rathmines and Rathgar etc.
You should know, you were there.

There is always outrage over stadium naming and it always disappears. If it pays for a Henshaw, Isa, Rocky or Felipe I'll take it. Anyway, I can hardly imagine that the Royal Dublin Society strikes fear into opposition teams.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Laya Healthcare are putting up a reported 8 to 11m. I'm happy.

At the height of the celtic tiger Munster abandoned their plan of earning money by selling the naming rights to Thomond Park. Currently they still owe 9m on Thomond and lost money last year. Over a long repayment plan, up to 2027 its thought that they will not be able to meet payment obligations. If they had taken 5m, 6m they would have next to nothing to pay off.

I'd rather take the money and welcome and beat the opposition in TeleTubby RDS Arena if it means we have the money to stay competitive, keep our players, develop player pathway structures, infrastructure and provide a great match experience for existing fans, expand fan base and offer premium packages. Its about the money, money.

Seeing as it wont be the Teletubby park, and I wont have to wear a Stade jersey to games I think I can watch Leinster win in Laya Healthcare Arena.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Who cares what the marketing people call it? It's money for nothing.

And yes I still call Lansdowne Road Lansdowne Road like every normal person who isn't forced to say something else because they're on telly.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Me too but we are in a minority. 90% + of people call it the Aviva. No big deal either way. Like pubs in Dublin. People still call them what they were called in the 60s or whatever despite name changes.

(Or in my case what they were in the 1700s)
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

BlueBlue wrote:Laya Healthcare are putting up a reported 8 to 11m. I'm happy.

At the height of the celtic tiger Munster abandoned their plan of earning money by selling the naming rights to Thomond Park. Currently they still owe 9m on Thomond and lost money last year. Over a long repayment plan, up to 2027 its thought that they will not be able to meet payment obligations. If they had taken 5m, 6m they would have next to nothing to pay off.

I'd rather take the money and welcome and beat the opposition in TeleTubby RDS Arena if it means we have the money to stay competitive, keep our players, develop player pathway structures, infrastructure and provide a great match experience for existing fans, expand fan base and offer premium packages. Its about the money, money.

Seeing as it wont be the Teletubby park, and I wont have to wear a Stade jersey to games I think I can watch Leinster win in Laya Healthcare Arena.
That was the IRFU indulging the Munster Branch and supporters preciousness. I remember the outrage from supporters that there was even a question of sullying the hallowed stadium! The branch have been financially incompetent for quite some time now with a Celtic Tiger mortgage based upon the belief that good times would last forever and the IRFU has been way too tolerant in my opinion. Unfortunately now, nobody is prepared to put up the cash. Hopefully, given that their on field performance is better and crowds are up again, they will be able to remarket the property - just not at the value it had in 2007!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I thought KFC were getting the naming rights!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Flash Gordon wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:Laya Healthcare are putting up a reported 8 to 11m. I'm happy.

That was the IRFU indulging the Munster Branch and supporters preciousness. I remember the outrage from supporters that there was even a question of sullying the hallowed stadium! The branch have been financially incompetent for quite some time now with a Celtic Tiger mortgage based upon the belief that good times would last forever and the IRFU has been way too tolerant in my opinion. Unfortunately now, nobody is prepared to put up the cash. Hopefully, given that their on field performance is better and crowds are up again, they will be able to remarket the property - just not at the value it had in 2007!
Yeah, but how long do these contracts last for. I thought it was generally for 10 years only. Wouldn't they be going again around now anyway?
A proud Winsome Fluter
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

fourthirtythree wrote:And yes I still call Lansdowne Road like every normal person who isn't forced to say something else because they're on telly.
I call it the Aviva cause its just a name ................. and I don't really give a shite what the pile of cement is called once I have a ticket.