Book thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Book thread

Post by TerenureJim »

Anno Dracula: The Bloody Red Barron great horror take on the madness of WWI, follows on nicely from the first Anno Dracula and is a very entertaining read.

Also for the movie buffs out there Kim Newman's Nightmare Movies is on offer at €9.99 in Chapters, usually you won't get that book for under €40
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Danthefan wrote:Have read Game of Thrones + sequels, they are fantastic imo, but I would imagine Martin will die before the series is finished.

Dance was nearly finished in 2006 apparently, and here we are in 2011.

I'll also add that even if the books all get written it's seriously unlikely the TV series will get past season 2 or 3 imo.
Was digging looking for book ideas and spotted this, odd to think that Game of Thrones is likely to end next year or 2018 and Martin has yet to publish the final two books
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Fantastic news for Pratchett fans, just great editions

https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/the ... -continue/
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Lemmy, Whit Line Fever, flipping hilariously brilliant
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone read The Battle yet?
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04rnnnj

For all Terry Pratchett fans out there. BBC 2 Saturday night 9pm.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

IanD wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04rnnnj

For all Terry Pratchett fans out there. BBC 2 Saturday night 9pm.
Nice one Ian.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

TerenureJim wrote:Anyone read The Battle yet?
About half way through at the moment. Interesting read.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Reading Mike Ross's book Dark Arts. Very entertaining, at least for me as a fellow prop! Probably one of the better rugby auto biographies I've read in a while so far.
Anyone But New Zealand
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Just read Sevens Heaven by Ben Ryan. The story of his time with the Fiji 7’s team. Truly one of the best rugby books I have read. I highly recommend.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I have just finished Thomas Mullen's novels, Dark Town and The Lightening Men. They're fantastic reads. The first is set in Atlanta, GA in 1948 against the backdrop of the appointment of the first 8 Black Police Officers. Apparently, the actual police officers were not allowed work out of Police HQ but were assigned to a basement in a YMCA downtown; they were only allowed to patrol the black part of Atlanta, known colloquially as Dark Town and they could not question white citizens. As well as being great thrillers the two novels are multi layered explorations of race, identity and tribal affiliation. The third novel in the series is coming out in July. I'm really looking forward to reading it.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Prior to the release of the 12th book (paperback) I am rereading The Last Kingdom series of books by Bernard Cornwell.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/books/?mgregion=gb

I really enjoy them as the books are light and easy to read - if the plot gets too deep there is another battle - and easy to pick up. Pure bubble gum fiction.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Being in the vunerable category. I enjoyed reading a lot of Tim Marshall stuff. Very good geopolitical take on the world. Good news is golf in the morning
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Reading Willie Anderson's autobiography at the minute. It's a good read. Very honest, warts and all
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote: November 29th, 2021, 2:13 pm Reading Willie Anderson's autobiography at the minute. It's a good read. Very honest, warts and all
Thanks for the heads up.
Have the book and was about to start it but got sidetracked.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I really enjoyed reading recently, the Arnhem trilogy of novels by Robert Radcliffe: Airborne, Freefall and The Bridge set against the backdrop of Operation Market Garden. He's a born story teller and knows how to craft a narrative. The first novels of his that I read over 20 years were Under an English Heaven and Upon Dark Waters. I highly recommend him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Members of the forthcoming Citizen's Assemble on Irish neutrality would be well advised to read the 2007 book by Clair Willis entitled That Neutral Island which was sub-titled "A Cultural History of Ireland during the Second World War".

In the very well researched book, Willis quotes widely from writing in the period from roughly 1930 - 45, largely by Irish writers, journalists and politicians in setting out the very complex debate that raged in Ireland and abroad over Ireland's decision to remain neutral before and during the Second World War.

The arguments on both sides of this debate are well documented and portray the complexities facing De Valera's Government during this fraught period of World discord. Whilst current world politics and military adventureism may not be quite as overt as during the pre-second World War period and communication were much more difficult and less generally available, the societal unrest was comparable.

A good read.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Has anyone out there read Joe Abercrombie, any particular titles you’d recommend if so?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

TerenureJim wrote: June 9th, 2023, 8:24 am Has anyone out there read Joe Abercrombie, any particular titles you’d recommend if so?
They’re all good.

The First Law series is a great read, the wizard lad (can’t remember his name) is very entertaining, same goes for the inquisitor guy.

Oh and there’s loads of hack and slash

Edit: the wizard is Bayaz, the inquisitor lad is Glotka and the hack n slash lad is Logen Ninefingers.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

For anyone who reads real paper books I have "borrowed" something similar from the other half. She got it for knitting but it is great for reading.

Gritin Neck Reading Light Rechargeable, Book Light Lamp for Reading in Bed, 3 Colors Eye-Protecting Modes, USB C Rechargeable, 80+ Hrs Runtime, Comfortable & Flexible Ergonomic Neck Round Design https://amzn.eu/d/2PzfTNL