Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits

Keane's appointment as Head Coach to Connacht should prove mutually beneficial. There are no certainties in professional sports but bringing in an experienced old head who has a great breadth of experience is a tried and tested management procedure for ensuring that corporate progress is maintained, rather than disipated.

As outlined previously, this guy has just the CV for Connacht and should be warmly welcomed.
Hope he works out for them. Will be interesting anyway.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Chief's skills coach Andrew Strawbridge looks like he will be following Keane to Connacht and maybe Neil Barnes their forwards coach as well.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/89 ... st-of-many
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Chief's skills coach Andrew Strawbridge looks like he will be following Keane to Connacht and maybe Neil Barnes their forwards coach as well.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/89 ... st-of-many
Jimmy Duffy is staying according to WNR, but announced today McPhilips is going to Bristol too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Incredibly sloppy by IRFU Professional Game Board and Connacht Pro Game Board to lose four coaches who were central to winning the Pro12 last Season. Losing this amount of intellectual and emotional energy from one team within 12 months is neither good business nor good sports development.

Jimmy Duffy and Nigel Carolan now carry almost the entire corporate memory of that success. The recruitment of an entire replacement group from Waikato goes against the long-term objective of the IRFU to provide development pathways for native Coaches.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Incredibly sloppy by IRFU Professional Game Board and Connacht Pro Game Board to lose four coaches who were central to winning the Pro12 last Season. Losing this amount of intellectual and emotional energy from one team within 12 months is neither good business nor good sports development.

Jimmy Duffy and Nigel Carolan now carry almost the entire corporate memory of that success. The recruitment of an entire replacement group from Waikato goes against the long-term objective of the IRFU to provide development pathways for native Coaches.
But how do they get guys to stay against their will? Ambitious coaches are always going to move around/abroad and the deified Kiwis insist on their coaches getting overseas experience
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That's one of the reasons that performance related contracts exist in Pro sports.

On second thoughts, looking at the sacking of Ranieri this evening, what do I know about Pro sports?
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht rumoured to have signed LH prop Denis Coulson of Grenoble. Looks like a decent signing if true.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht rumoured to have signed LH prop Denis Coulson of Grenoble. Looks like a decent signing if true.
thought that was official but yeah good signing, plus (possibly?) lets Bealham concentrate more on TH
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

No just a rumour at the moment. Connacht badly need another L.H. though and Coulson would fit the bill nicely. Apart from Buckley all they have is the ageing Loughney and the permanently crocked Ivan Soroka. J.P. Cooney and Bealham can play there but they're natural TH's.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Nigel Carolan and Jimmy Duffy are going to be part of Keane's coaching staff at Connacht. Wonder if/how this will affect Carolan and the Ireland Under-20's?

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/carolan-duf ... nnachtNews
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Nigel Carolan and Jimmy Duffy are going to be part of Keane's coaching staff at Connacht. Wonder if/how this will affect Carolan and the Ireland Under-20's?

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/carolan-duf ... nnachtNews
Carolan is gone from u20s now

ASSISTANT COACH UNDER Nigel Carolan, Pete Malone will take charge of Ireland U20s ahead of the summer World Rugby Championship after the Galway man took up a senior coaching post with Connacht.

The ‘Wolfpuppies’ will begin their summer campaign against Italy on 31 May, with Pool B fixtures against Scotland and New Zealand to follow swiftly in early June.

Malone has been installed as interim head coach for the tournament in Georgia. Ulster academy manager and U19 coach Kieran Campbell has joined the national coaching ticket.

The union’s statement adds that the U20 coaching structure will be reviewed after the summer tournament, while performance director David Nucifora highlighted the valuable exposure that academy coaches can gain from plying their trade i the U20 setup.

“Nigel has done some fantastic work with the U20s over the past three years including reaching last year’s U20 Championship final. We are delighted that Connacht have offered him the opportunity to further develop as a coach in a senior role with the provincial side

“The coaching opportunity with the U20 squad is an important element in the IRFU’s coach development pathway as it provides our Academy coaches with an outlet to develop and challenge themselves within the international game.”
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht have signed an AIL winger for next season called Jordan Conroy. No idea who he plays for. They are also releasing two players Rory Parata and Ciaran Gaffney which I think is insane both had huge potential.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht have signed an AIL winger for next season called Jordan Conroy. No idea who he plays for. They are also releasing two players Rory Parata and Ciaran Gaffney which I think is insane both had huge potential.
either of them have any injury problems or anything?

Connacht go down 25 to 22 in wherever Zebre play
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

simonokeeffe » April 1st, 2017, 11:45 am
sunshiner1 wrote:
Connacht have signed an AIL winger for next season called Jordan Conroy. No idea who he plays for. They are also releasing two players Rory Parata and Ciaran Gaffney which I think is insane both had huge potential.
not particularly. Most Connacht fans are slightly stunned by the decision. Conroy plays for Buccaneers apparantly.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Losing to Zebre....25-22. Well Justice is done I suppose.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
simonokeeffe » April 1st, 2017, 11:45 am
sunshiner1 wrote:
not particularly. Most Connacht fans are slightly stunned by the decision. Conroy plays for Buccaneers apparantly.
Cheers
Given how much Ronaldson is injured and Aki might have Ireland duty next year am surprised about Parata
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht have signed an AIL winger for next season called Jordan Conroy. No idea who he plays for. They are also releasing two players Rory Parata and Ciaran Gaffney which I think is insane both had huge potential.
Where did you see/hear that (Conroy part)? He has 17 tries this year and has played for the Eagles and Ireland Sevens, I've been speculating we might sign him on a development deal for a while.

I assume Farrell is being kept over Parata. Strange to see Gaffney being let go, always thought he was a top prospect, but maybe I'm biased having played with him. Apparently Romaine is off too which means he's being let go from his academy contract a year early.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by scentofgunpowder

Where did you see/hear that (Conroy part)? He has 17 tries this year and has played for the Eagles and Ireland Sevens, I've been speculating we might sign him on a development deal for a while.

I assume Farrell is being kept over Parata. Strange to see Gaffney being let go, always thought he was a top prospect, but maybe I'm biased having played with him. Apparently Romaine is off too which means he's being let go from his academy contract a year early.
It was on the Connacht Clan by a lad who is fairly reliable in his sources. It looks like KK's approach is to remove fringe players and if you are Connacht fan hopefully bring in someone who can make a difference.

As for Romaine that's a shame if true. Danny Qualter is off too Notthingham apparently so that mean's Connacht is down two locks. As for Gaffney it seems you are cursed if you are considered the next big thing in the Connacht Academy. Danny Riordan, Callum Boland, some-guy playing Ireland 7's whose name I can't remember etc.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by scentofgunpowder

It was on the Connacht Clan by a lad who is fairly reliable in his sources. It looks like KK's approach is to remove fringe players and if you are Connacht fan hopefully bring in someone who can make a difference.

As for Romaine that's a shame if true. Danny Qualter is off too Notthingham apparently so that mean's Connacht is down two locks. As for Gaffney it seems you are cursed if you are considered the next big thing in the Connacht Academy. Danny Riordan, Callum Boland, some-guy playing Ireland 7's whose name I can't remember etc.
Had a search there and the only person posting about Conroy is me and I'm definitely not an insider!

Yeah the squad is too big especially if we're in the Challenge Cup next year. Realistically there's a good bit of deadwood who probably aren't quite good enough for a team aiming to regularly make top 6. Problem is there's no sign of any replacement thus far..

Romaine seemed like a prospect alright but we'll still have Gallagher and Claffey in the academy who I think can both become top players. Will definitely need to bring in at least one senior lock, maybe two.

Ireland 7s guy you are thinking of is Shane Layden. I think "next big things" are a mixed bag at all teams in all sports, like Coughlan-Murray, Macken, Dom Ryan, Macken, Conway etc. Sean O'Brien and Tiernan O'Halloran have done pretty well.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another curate's egg performance tonight. 0-19 after half time became 19-22 with an Edinburgh convert to come. Finished at that and a good win for the Westies.

Edinburgh and Cardiff could much tougher opponents next year with more consistency in their coaching and performances.