Uncapped Lion, who will it be?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Experimental
Knowledgeable

Uncapped Lion, who will it be?

Post by Experimental »

As we all know its tradition to bring an uncapped player on the Lions tour. But who will it be? I can see two Irish in contention at this moment. Kildare man Adam Byrne and Michaels' Dan Leavy who I've been hugely impressed with. Would love to hear more thoughts especially from our English, Scottish and Welsh friends on who they've flagged as potential candidates.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Re: Uncapped Lion, who will it be?

Post by All Blacks nil »

Experimental wrote:As we all know its tradition to bring an uncapped player on the Lions tour. But who will it be? I can see two Irish in contention at this moment. Kildare man Adam Byrne and Michaels' Dan Leavy who I've been hugely impressed with. Would love to hear more thoughts especially from our English, Scottish and Welsh friends on who they've flagged as potential candidates.
Firstly I think you are mixing the Lions with the Babas by saying it is traditional to select an uncapped player. Yes, it happens and Will Greenwood and Brynmore Williams spring to mind but it is not the usual practice.
Having said that I expect Gatland to read these boards and immediately select Byrne, O'Loughlin and Porter. Leavy is already capped but he should go as well. If Billy Dardis fulfills his potential he will probably be on the boat as well. Exciting times
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Leavy has indeed got a cap, thanks All blacks nil! My bad, so guess he'll have to make it on merit.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

I know he's capped but rumours Niall Scannell is a serious consideration in UK

As for uncapped that Rugby League lad with Sale has been mentioned by Gatland a few times
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Experimental wrote:As we all know its tradition to bring an uncapped player on the Lions tour. But who will it be? I can see two Irish in contention at this moment. Kildare man Adam Byrne and Michaels' Dan Leavy who I've been hugely impressed with. Would love to hear more thoughts especially from our English, Scottish and Welsh friends on who they've flagged as potential candidates.
Firstly I think you are mixing the Lions with the Babas by saying it is traditional to select an uncapped player. Yes, it happens and Will Greenwood and Brynmore Williams spring to mind but it is not the usual practice.
Having said that I expect Gatland to read these boards and immediately select Byrne, O'Loughlin and Porter. Leavy is already capped but he should go as well. If Billy Dardis fulfills his potential he will probably be on the boat as well. Exciting times

yep, the Lions have no such tradition, its the Barbarians who do and people often mix them up, something a certain Bommer used to play off!
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It's certainly not a Lions 'tradition', but the Lions selectors from time to time have pulled a 'rabbit out of the hat'.

1971 to NZ: Peter Dixon - Eng uncapped back-row
1974 to SA: None
1977 to NZ: Elgan Rees, Brynmor Williams, Alun Lewis - all Welsh and Lewis never capped.
1980 to SA: None;
1983 to NZ: Nigel Melville - Eng scrum-half, uncapped before Tour.
1989 to Oz: None
1993 to NZ: None
1997 to SA: Will Greenwood - Eng centre, upcapped before Tour
2001 to Oz: None
2005 to NZ: None
2009 to SA: None
2013 to Aus: None.

So, none in recent history but the majority in the past 40 years have been good calls with the sole, unique, exception being Alun Lewis.
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

Ruckedtobits wrote:It's certainly not a Lions 'tradition', but the Lions selectors from time to time have pulled a 'rabbit out of the hat'.

1977 to NZ: Elgan Rees, Brynmor Williams, Alun Lewis - all Welsh and Lewis never capped.

So, none in recent history but the majority in the past 40 years have been good calls with the sole, unique, exception being Alun Lewis.
Would Keith Earls be deserving of a place on that list? Only two caps (one start) for Ireland before being selected in 2009
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

No.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

BlueStreak wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:It's certainly not a Lions 'tradition', but the Lions selectors from time to time have pulled a 'rabbit out of the hat'.

Would Keith Earls be deserving of a place on that list? Only two caps (one start) for Ireland before being selected in 2009
Would the twice capped Keith Earls be deserving of a place in a list of uncapped players?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

All Blacks nil wrote:
And while we're at it we can throw in all the 'young talent' in Munster who are actually in their late 20s.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Keith Earls name keeps getting kicked around lists of uncapped players on Lions tour by English twitterati even though its false
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

neiliog93 wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
And while we're at it we can throw in all the 'young talent' in Munster who are actually in their late 20s.
It took 10 f***ing posts
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

There may be a bolter or two, rather than an uncapped guy

From Ireland - Ringrose and Scannell are really the only two I'd put in there - suppose you could see Dillane as a possible bolter

Hamish Watson is a potential bolter

Fagerson/Genge at prop possibly

Moriarty in backrow

Denny Solomona in the backs or possibly Teo
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Golf Man wrote:There may be a bolter or two, rather than an uncapped guy

From Ireland - Ringrose and Scannell are really the only two I'd put in there - suppose you could see Dillane as a possible bolter

Hamish Watson is a potential bolter

Fagerson/Genge at prop possibly

Moriarty in backrow

Denny Solomona in the backs or possibly Teo
I had JVF as a bolter pre 6 nations, the injury obviously hasn't helped. Byrne maybe but yo be honest, I think as the game moves on and becomes more formulaic the prospect of a bolter coming thorugh is less likely.

Either way please don't let it be Teo....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Agree - I listed a bunch of guys but in reality I don't see any of them going. Might be a few unlikely injury call ups.

The bolters from the last tour were arguably Vunipola (think he had about 10 caps but only one start prior to the tour) and Matt Stevens, who was just a weird left field pick. Ian Evans was an unusual selection, but not exactly a bolter.

Agree on Teo but he imo is one of the most likely bolters - looks like a real Gatland type, and covers 12 and 13
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I think it's more that the Lions usualy have a pretty young, raw talent that wasn't necessarily first choice for their country in the previous 6 nations. They make them carry around that stupid stuffed toy. Earls did fit the bill there in 09.

One of the finest things from around that time was this blog: http://irishlions.blogspot.ie/?m=1

Had me cracking up. If they would do it again, I'd absolutely pay to read it.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

CiaranIrl wrote:I think it's more that the Lions usualy have a pretty young, raw talent that wasn't necessarily first choice for their country in the previous 6 nations. They make them carry around that stupid stuffed toy. Earls did fit the bill there in 09.

One of the finest things from around that time was this blog: http://irishlions.blogspot.ie/?m=1

i'd forgotten those - brilliant!
A proud Winsome Fluter
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Chuppa Chups!
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

CiaranIrl wrote:I think it's more that the Lions usualy have a pretty young, raw talent that wasn't necessarily first choice for their country in the previous 6 nations. They make them carry around that stupid stuffed toy. Earls did fit the bill there in 09.

Mascot is carried by either the youngest or most ginger.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Kyle Sinckler at tight-head is a potential bolter, in an area where the Lions lack depth. Will Greenwood keeps picking Adam Byrne in his Lions teams but it's not going to happen.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!