Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't stand Barnes and said months ago that him reffing this game was one of my biggest concerns about the championship, but my only issue with him from last night is that he didn't bin a Welsh player for cynical play in their line but binned Johnny straight away. I think he got that call wrong regardless of the inconsistency but in fairness I doubt there was anyone watching who didn't think Johnny deserved to be binned before seeing the replay.

There were a few times when we had hands on the ball for ages and deserved penalties (CJ and Jamie in particular) but he's not alone in letting the contest to on for a long time and Wales were unlucky with some of their attempted steals too so I think it evened out.

Clear forward pass for their first try as well but it was hard for him to pick that one up and he didn't have any help from his TJs or the TMO. May be wrong but I didn't see too much protesting by the Irish players either.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Best post you've ever put up especially the last bit. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:Not saying it cost us the game, not by a long shot but I honestly think we need to talk about Wayne
I think we let Barnes get to us too much.
We should just play our normal game.
SOB trying the not a ruck thing twice was dumb - he'd be the last ref I'd try that with, so that's on SOB.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:Leaving murray on wad woeful best/toner have to take responsibility for line out. I'd neatly say kearney wad half decent but we need more at this level. Bringing too my bowel is a bit pile of my arsenal . 2p13 over again

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Have one for us all GM it's good for you.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tingman wrote:guys - we were shite......im not going into deets of each player but when WE get the blitz defense...and get our own little cages rattled we have no response.....ball shuffled from side to side .....our much vaunted back row were mullered.....devoid of ideas....lateral bullshit.....we should have beaten this team out of sight.....but no...over to you Joe - I'm sure u have all the answers....but i think you might be overrated
Back to back h-cup, Amlin and league double, back to back six nations, tops group in RWC, beats Boks in SA, beats NZ for first time ever but yeah overrated....... :roll:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Still very dissapointed by last night, not just by the result, but also the manner in which we lost.

Wales get slated continuously for being one dimensional and predictable, with the term Warren ball being thrown around like confetti.
But it is Ireland who seem to be one dimensional and predictable. Ireland do not appear to have a plan B. Once teams neutralise our backrow we have nothing else with ball in hand. Our other option is the kick chase game, which is a bit hit and miss.

If last nights game went on for another hour, it is hard to see how we would have scored a try.
Earls was brilliant with ball in hand, but he was never given the space to exploit how well he was playing.
SOB was very good in the first half, looking like the SOB of old, but he, like all our ball carriers were static when given the ball.

Everyone has seen what a team coached by Joe can do. Only a fool would say he is a bad coach, but he has failed to make the best use of the amount of talent that is available to him. For the first time ever, an Irish coach has plenty of options starting for all 4 provinces, and playing very attractive attacking rugby.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

TerenureJim wrote:
tingman wrote:guys - we were shite......im not going into deets of each player but when WE get the blitz defense...and get our own little cages rattled we have no response.....ball shuffled from side to side .....our much vaunted back row were mullered.....devoid of ideas....lateral bullshit.....we should have beaten this team out of sight.....but no...over to you Joe - I'm sure u have all the answers....but i think you might be overrated
Back to back h-cup, Amlin and league double, back to back six nations, tops group in RWC, beats Boks in SA, beats NZ for first time ever but yeah overrated....... :roll:
Declan kidney won a under 19 world Cup, 2 Heineken cups, Celtic league, a grand slam, a Churchill Cup, an IRB manager of the year award, first Irish coach to top a RWC group, and went a full calender year undefeated as an Irish coach.

Sometimes listing a coaches achievements is just a way of covering their failures.

Joe has unprecedented options available to him, and has failed to develop the game in the last couple of years.

Again, I am not Calling for his head, I just want to see him develope this group of players to their full potential.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Well that was poor.
Henshaw played well, but his brainless effort on the maul arguably cost us the match - that and of course no yellow card for Wales. SOB was very ordinary again, his no-look pass behind Heaslip which led to Wales's 2nd try was a particular highlight for me. Lineout picked apart by Wales at vital times, so frustrating.

On a positive note, I thought Earls, Ringrose and Sexton were outstanding, and that Marmion and POM did well when they came on. Everyone else seemed around the 5 or 6 out of 10 level. Plenty of hard work and grunt, can't fault them for effort.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

On reflection I still can't understand why Marmion wasn't brought on earlier. Seemed mad at the time, still does.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:On reflection I still can't understand why Marmion wasn't brought on earlier. Seemed mad at the time, still does.
I could understand if it was closer to half time...but watching those ten minutes pass...
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Joe just doesn't have any confidence in his bench, delaying far too long to bring on Marmion, Ryan, Scannell and even POM. Unless Stander was injured it seemed strange that he rather than either SOB or Jamie got hooked as he was having a far better game than the 2 lads.

Rob K offers little in attack and God knows what has happened to Zebo who seems to have lost his confidence and/or pace.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

That was woeful but not surprising. Its been coming for a while as results have gotten worse over the last 2 years. Being outplayed by Scotland and Wales is a real body blow especially when you consider the resources Schmidt has. He now has the look of a man who genuinely can't believe his methods are not working and he is starting to blame things like the bus. Something I have never heard before.

We need an attack coach. The whole attacking game needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Forget the intricate set plays that seem to bamboozle the Irish players more than the opposition. How about playing a more NZ type of rugby ie attacking space. Stretching the defence, attack space and let the players play whats in front of them, using their own creativity. The Schmidt playbook is not only easy to defend against but it also means the players are not using any of their own creativity.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

dropkick wrote:That was woeful but not surprising. Its been coming for a while as results have gotten worse over the last 2 years. Being outplayed by Scotland and Wales is a real body blow especially when you consider the resources Schmidt has. He now has the look of a man who genuinely can't believe his methods are not working and he is starting to blame things like the bus. Something I have never heard before.

We need an attack coach. The whole attacking game needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Forget the intricate set plays that seem to bamboozle the Irish players more than the opposition. How about playing a more NZ type of rugby ie attacking space. Stretching the defence, attack space and let the players play whats in front of them, using their own creativity. The Schmidt playbook is not only easy to defend against but it also means the players are not using any of their own creativity.
Agreed. When I was watching the game last night I couldn't help but think 'what would the All Blacks do?' as we pounded away unsuccessfully at their line. The answer is that there would be no set plays and few static one-out runners. They would attack space, step before contact, run good lines and look for offloads, even off relatively slow ball. And eight or nine times out of ten, they'd score.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

I'm banging on the same drum again but very few teams can win such an intense match while in effect using only 19 of the MD23.
My abiding memory of the game will be the quick glimpse of Joe making the call to clear the bench of the FOUR remaining replacements as Biggar lined up the conversion of Roberts' try after 79 mins.
A further indictment of Joe's mistrust in his squad despite all the time he has spent with them over the last 18 months in particular. I'm not getting at the replaced players but Best and Furlong were understandably out on the feet and should have been called ashore earlier even if only with next week in mind.
Another game where, despite extensive and intensive preparations, the coach showed he cannot trust the players he picks.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on March 11th, 2017, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

It's actually insulting to the players to throw them on for a few seconds when the game is lost. What's the point?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Dave Cahill wrote:
carlow man wrote:Joe wants his fb to run into the first player he gets to. Can't tackle and has no pace. Maybe someone shoukd tell Joe that he needs to get in the real world. Schmidt should have no say in leinster selection. That's Cullens job.
Joe wants his full back to locate a pod and set up the next phase of play with their support, getting isolated is the ultimate sin
And Joe tells you this?
Does he also want his fullback to miss tackles?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

dropkick wrote:That was woeful but not surprising. Its been coming for a while as results have gotten worse over the last 2 years. Being outplayed by Scotland and Wales is a real body blow especially when you consider the resources Schmidt has. He now has the look of a man who genuinely can't believe his methods are not working and he is starting to blame things like the bus. Something I have never heard before.

I disagree with that. We were up to 3rd in the world rankings recently and are still 4th. The bolded part is a blatant lie, but you're at least telling the truth when you say you've never heard it before. Even if you don't agree that the game prep was disrupted there's really no need to embellish it to make him sound like he's lost his marbles.

IMO his biggest mistake was not emptying the bench earlier. It was a 1 score game until the 79th minute, we had them on the rack for most of the last 20 minutes and had the possession territory and chances to win the game. Fresh bodies would have made the difference IMO. I'd also have changed Sexton for Jackson.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

munster#1 wrote: Joe has unprecedented options available to him, and has failed to develop the game in the last couple of years.
Does he though? He has more depth in some positions, sure, but how many of this team would walk into Kidney or o Sullivan's teams?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

No he doesn't. I saw that post originally and laughed out loud. The thing that occurred to me was Paul O'Connell and Bian o'driscoll. How can you say they have been replaced. Laughable.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

We've better props and half backs. After that, no.

Bit more depth though.