Ireland v. England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland v. England

Post by Twist »

A quick turnaround and a chance to ease our pain by ruining someone else's fun. Hard to be confident though. It's not that I don't think there'll be a reaction, I just don't see how we're going to score tries.

I'm part of the mob that says our backrow looks unbalanced. Stander looks undroppable, Heaslip has been having a great season (not so much last night) and Leavy won't be considered so I suppose that means POM at 7, although it doesn't feel right.

Our backline looks blunt. I think Payne at 15 would add threat without losing much in terms of organisation.

You can't make too many changes in such a short time, but a bit of freshening up is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland v. England

Post by simonokeeffe »

SOB has had a poor few games, we need JVDF but he mighnt be available

Backs have lacked depth (in alignment) but Payne would help and provide (counter) attacking threat

England are looking imperious so far today, we need f*cking manic aggression against them, hopefully having championship won will get to them and we finish second
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Joe won't change too much.
He already has to replace Bowe and possibly Murray who's rehab was hardly helped
By Joe's tardiness in replacing him despite his obvious discomfort and distress.
Front row will stay the same despite Best and Furlong's unnecessary long shifts yesterday. McGrath relatively early withdrawal will probably see him play in front of Healy, the only replacement front row that Joe has trusted this season. 2nd row will remain unchanged. Heaslip won't and Stander cant be left out. SOB has justified Joe's faith in him with a super display against Italy so won't be left out either. Leavy should be in the MD23. SOB has made the 7 jersey his own so POM will probably lose out.
The only change in the back line could be the inclusion of Payne. Where is the question.
Either Ringrose or Kearney will be No 23 depending on who doesn't start.
Joe doesn't do wholesale changes. He doesn't trust the MD23 enough to play them . He won't delve too deep into our much heralded depth chart to replace them.
4 wins in our last 9 Six Nations games, 2 of which came v Italy, is a poor record. A changing of the guard is due. Joe has had 4 years to build this team. He has only 2 1/2 years to build his new team
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

And the silver lining - we won't have to deal with the favourites tag.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Frack that, I always want to be favourites. It means you're more likely to win.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote:Frack that, I always want to be favourites. It means you're more likely to win.
Bill Shankley wrote:Only cowards fear being favorites
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Frack that, I always want to be favourites. It means you're more likely to win.
Bill Shankley wrote:Only cowards fear being favorites
Well there's the problem right there - Ireland fear being favourites.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Marmion to scrum half, carbery to full back, payne to 13, ringrose to 23, best to be substituted earlier?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I think Wales showed the benefits of sticking with your talented, criticised players who will have something to prove. That said, I'd definitely bring in Payne - probably at 15. If Murray isn't fit, well... We're in trouble.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:I think Wales showed the benefits of sticking with your talented, criticised players who will have something to prove. That said, I'd definitely bring in Payne - probably at 15. If Murray isn't fit, well... We're in trouble.
Might be a good thing in the long run. That's no criticism of Murray who I reckon is the best scrumhalf in the world, but if we have to play a little differently with Marmion and it works then we might keep doing it. I know there won't be any major change, but I think we'd play a little wider with Marmion and we wouldn't be asking him to kick much.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's no criticism of Murray who I reckon is the best scrumhalf in the world
Against New Zealand in November maybe, on current form he's little more than an extra backrow. Defensively great to have but creates absolutely nothing.

He's one of the many Irish players that are currently trading on reputations gained in previous performances.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He looked pretty great against France to me. He got injured early yesterday it's hard to judge him on that game.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Time to ring the changes. Payne at 15; Carbery at outhalf; Byrne for Zebo; whoever available for SOB - VDF?. Case too to leave Toner and Heaslip out but no obvious better replacements. Nothing lost in experimenting though as there is nothing at stake save some cash winnings.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

I would have a back 3 of 15 Payne, 14 Adam Byrne, 11 Earls. After that depending on fitness either VDF or Leavy at 7 probably only other change although gap between McGrath & Healy, Best & Scannell, Toner & Henderson, Heaslip & O'Mahony all probably marginal on current form & reinforces importance of using bench. Wales brought on 7 players from 62 to 71 mins against our 4 up to 79 mins and that was a contributory factor in our defeat.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Raydollard wrote:Time to ring the changes. Payne at 15; Carbery at outhalf; Byrne for Zebo; whoever available for SOB - VDF?. Case too to leave Toner and Heaslip out but no obvious better replacements. Nothing lost in experimenting though as there is nothing at stake save some cash winnings.
Interested in what people think of Carbury's chances with Ireland & Leinster in next few weeks. I have not seen enough of him to judge properly but he looks like a try scoring machine especially at full back.

I also have a suspicion that JS may give Jackson the "Gilroy treatment" for shooting out of the line for North's first try on 19 mins just after he had come on for Sexton's HIA 19-27 mins. Seems a bit harsh but would give Ireland more options on bench.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Some folks might say that the two time Six Nations champions will be a smidge better than an understrength coachless Edinburgh side - but to them I say fie and pish, lets play Barry Daly on the wing
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Throwing in the towel because we can't win the tournament would send the wrong signal and would set the team back. I wouldn't see us changing much aside from injuries,Payne and gameplan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Would drop Heaslip and O'Brien. We've too much talent in the backrow to tolerate such shitty performances from them both. Would bring in O'Mahony and Leavy ahead of van der Flier. Heaslip and O'Brien can come back at some stage but they need to learn that playing shite has consequences. In particular O'Brien's garbage pass to no one when we were down to 14 men (which led directly to Wales's second try) had to earn some punishment if Joe is serious about players having responsibility. Serious case to be made about dropping Dev for Henderson too. The lineout let us down again and it's Dev's baby, so he has to take responsibility.

None of the back three should be safe either. Kearney couldn't tackle a fish supper and Payne should replace him. Earls is a quick player but his defensive positioning continues to cost us and it's time to give other options a chance, while Zebo simply looks slow and out of condition.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Stander to 8
POM at 6
VDF (if available) or Leavy at 7
With Jamie on the bench.
England's Achilles heel defensively is George Ford. Promote the scrum and let CJ loose off the back of the scrum into the ten channel. Pretty basic stuff but be assured England will be looking to launch Billy V in similar fashion.
Not because JS is a defensive weakness but more the obvious but legitimate targeting of Sexton.
Also it would be interesting to see can Jamie make an impact from the bench

Marmion for Murray who's rehab would not have been helped by Joe's reluctance to replace him.

Personally I'd love to see Carberry at full back instead of RK but the only change I envisage is the return of Payne at either 13 or 15 with either RK or Ringrose dropping to the bench.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on March 12th, 2017, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Donny B. wrote:Would drop Heaslip and O'Brien. We've too much talent in the backrow to tolerate such shitty performances from them both. Would bring in O'Mahony and Leavy ahead of van der Flier. Heaslip and O'Brien can come back at some stage but they need to learn that playing shite has consequences. In particular O'Brien's garbage pass to no one when we were down to 14 men (which led directly to Wales's second try) had to earn some punishment if Joe is serious about players having responsibility. Serious case to be made about dropping Dev for Henderson too. The lineout let us down again and it's Dev's baby, so he has to take responsibility.

None of the back three should be safe either. Kearney couldn't tackle a fish supper and Payne should replace him. Earls is a quick player but his defensive positioning continues to cost us and it's time to give other options a chance, while Zebo simply looks slow and out of condition.
slightly in wrong thread but I couldnt fathom why Dev carried so much v Wales when carrying is not his wheelhouse
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon