Joe Schmidt 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Joe Schmidt 2017

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:
munster#1 wrote: We will soon find out if it is the restrictive game plan that meant we didn't get to see Zebo play how he has been all season, or if as you say, he is unfit.
Hugo had an excellent post on this during the week. The 'Zebo being restricted' argument was firmly put to bed by it.
Cheers. It's in the U20s thread – a response to an article contrasting the play of the U20s vs the senior team.

Just to recap: examining Zebo's performances for Munster 2016-7, Ireland 2016-17 and Ireland during the 2017 Six Nations, on average Zebo gets more ball, passes more, runs more, makes more ground, more clean breaks, beats more defenders and offloads more often for Ireland than for Munster.

It's also worth taking into account that he has played 8 games [616 mins] for Ireland this season – 3 in November, 3 in February and 2 in March – and 10 games [697 mins] for Munster – 3 in October, 3 in December, 3 in January and 18 minutes against the Scarlets in September. He has essentially split his game time 44% to 56% between Ireland and Munster [in terms of games] and 47% to 53% [in terms of minutes].

So if somebody references how he has played 'all season', as a contrast between his try-scoring achievements for Munster and Ireland, it doesn't make much sense to me. He has played for both teams 'all season'. I think the difference between try-scoring is more reasonably explained by three factors: better defences at test level; a slightly different tactical emphasis; and simple chance. I don't know what weight you can ascribe to each.

As a contrast, Earls has only scored one try in the last two seasons for Munster [source: http://munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=KE263615 ] [22+1/1593 mins] and a whopping 10 in the same period for Ireland [source: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... ef=dynamic ] [20+0/1461mins ]. In terms of a split between Ireland and Munster, that's 46.5% to 53.5% [games played] and 48% to 52% [minutes played] – strikingly similar to Zebo.

My only real conclusion is that there's a lot of chance involved in terms of try-scoring at test level. Zebo has been staggeringly productive at club level as a try-scorer, but far less so at test level. He has bagged 8 tries in 33 tests [29+4/2340 mins] which compares unfavourably in every regard – fewer tries, fewer tries/start, fewer tries/match, fewer tries/gametime – with Fergus McFadden's 10 tries in 32 tests [15+17/1430mins ].

I don't think that makes Ferg a better winger than Zebo [although to me it shows that the criticism aimed at the former from certain quarters is over the top]; I think it shows that there's a good bit of a] being in the right place at the right time; and b] taking chances when they're available to you. I can't recall Zebo fluffing many chances this season for Ireland, so the most likely scenario is that the chances haven't really come his way this season. They've gone Earls' way, and he has taken them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Worth reading again Hugo.

The minutes split figures are a bit of an eye opener at this point of the season, but I should have noticed before.

In the specific case of Zebo a possible explanation is overcompensating for his reputation (deserved or not) for being selfish in terms of scoring tries. He worked very very hard on rounding out his overall game to help break into the Irish team.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: In all fairness Hugo is not really the barometer on many things rugby related.
What's that supposed to mean?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

MunsterSugar wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Actually that's an interesting conversation, is Zebo unfit or being restricted?

I hope it's the latter, and he has a much stronger end of season than he had a 6N (barring Italy, he was excellent v Italy)
*** Edited by Mod - potentially libelous quote removed ***
*** Edited by Mod - response to previous comment ***
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Actually that's an interesting conversation, is Zebo unfit or being restricted?

I hope it's the latter, and he has a much stronger end of season than he had a 6N (barring Italy, he was excellent v Italy)
*** Edited by mod ***
*** Edited by mod (response to potentially libelous comment) ***
*** Edited by mod ***
Last edited by limecat on March 20th, 2017, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Potentially libelous comment removed
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

MunsterSugar wrote: *** Edited by Mod ***
Can you please stop?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:

*** Edited by Mod ***
*** Edited by Mod ***
dont feed the bears OSS
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Its true about luck. I think we'd 1 lineout on the right side of the pitch in an attacking position. Youre heavily reliant on where the opposition screw up by giving up a penalty or onock on for an atacking platform. Zebo was quiet yesterday but we did a lot of our attacking from left to right, just didnt get a lot of chances.

Whats also true is that excepting Italy, the defenses hes faced for Ireland are a step up on anything this season for Munster. Youre only really gonna get the ball in space 2 or 3 times in space at this level. Maybe more if there's a mistake, you have to make them count.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote: *** Edited by mod ***
*** edited by mod (response to potentially libelous comment ***
dont feed the bears OSS
*** Edited by mod ***
Last edited by limecat on March 20th, 2017, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Potentially libelous comment removed
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote:Its true about luck. I think we'd 1 lineout on the right side of the pitch in an attacking position. Youre heavily reliant on where the opposition screw up by giving up a penalty or onock on for an atacking platform. Zebo was quiet yesterday but we did a lot of our attacking from left to right, just didnt get a lot of chances.

Whats also true is that excepting Italy, the defenses hes faced for Ireland are a step up on anything this season for Munster. Youre only really gonna get the ball in space 2 or 3 times in space at this level. Maybe more if there's a mistake, you have to make them count.
Differences at this level are very small in general. Look are the Kinsella analysis of the Scotland game to see how minor imprecisions under pressure added up to missed opportunities.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

MunsterSugar wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: *** Edited by Mod ***
dont feed the bears OSS
*** Edited by Mod ***
Proof?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

MunsterSugar wrote: *** Edited by Mod ***

If you want to be taken seriously you have to be able to debate with people. *** Edited by Mod - response to quoted post ***
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Over in "Decisive Factor thread" and even after explained still no apology.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

hugonaut wrote: My only real conclusion is that there's a lot of chance involved in terms of try-scoring at test level. Zebo has been staggeringly productive at club level as a try-scorer, but far less so at test level. He has bagged 8 tries in 33 tests [29+4/2340 mins] which compares unfavourably in every regard – fewer tries, fewer tries/start, fewer tries/match, fewer tries/gametime – with Fergus McFadden's 10 tries in 32 tests [15+17/1430mins ].

I don't think that makes Ferg a better winger than Zebo [although to me it shows that the criticism aimed at the former from certain quarters is over the top]; I think it shows that there's a good bit of a] being in the right place at the right time; and b] taking chances when they're available to you. I can't recall Zebo fluffing many chances this season for Ireland, so the most likely scenario is that the chances haven't really come his way this season. They've gone Earls' way, and he has taken them.
Zebo plays fullback for Munster, not wing. Earls has been playing on the left wing this season for Munster, so maybe thats has something to do with scoring opportunities.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

spotted elsewhere but Ireland have given first caps to 19 players since the world cup
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

simonokeeffe wrote:spotted elsewhere but Ireland have given first caps to 19 players since the world cup
20 but I'd include the 3 guys who were capped in the warmups. Conway got his debut now too.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ronk wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:spotted elsewhere but Ireland have given first caps to 19 players since the world cup
20 but I'd include the 3 guys who were capped in the warmups. Conway got his debut now too.
damn bbc graphics department

wales are on 3
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ronan O’Gara is set to join former teammates Girvan Dempsey and Felix Jones as part of an extended coaching team on Ireland’s summer tour to the US and Japan.
Couldn't be bothered opening up a summer tour thread.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Looks like the Joe Schmidt Summer School for Aspiring Coaches Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too is open for business
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's a lot of new blood considering we'll only be down one coach. I really like that though, Ireland need some new voices in attack and hopefully they can add something and won't just be keeping quiet and observing Joe. Good to see ROG being brought in from outside the system, wouldn't have expected that.