Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Laighin Break »

Surely Scannell and Ryan too?!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Who's injured?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Well Kleyn anyway (though Chisholm is back!). And when is Murray back?

That's a point though, I thought that like us they had a relatively clean bill of health. It's never perfect but...
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well Kleyn anyway (though Chisholm is back!). And when is Murray back?

That's a point though, I thought that like us they had a relatively clean bill of health. It's never perfect but...
Far from it

Kleyn and Foley are out for the rest of the season - Holland, Ryan, O Shea and Deysel are going to be the locks from now until end of season - Copeland and DOC could probably do a job but not ideal and and a Ryan injury away from a massive problem. Chisholm is not back playing - he is training. Cronin is just back training and will presumably hope to play this weekend.

Keatley and Sailli are injured and expected out for the QF - neither were likely to start but at least one and probably both were on the bench. Keatley out is an issue as Bleyendaal missed the last game. Murray is carrying an injury as well obviously, but hopefully wil be back - far from ideal in terms of preparation though

Kleyn is the biggest loss without doubt, but we re definitely close to major issues if any of J Ryan, D Ryan, Murray, Bleyendaal get injured (or don't make the QF)
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Golf Man wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Well Kleyn anyway (though Chisholm is back!). And when is Murray back?

Far from it

Kleyn and Foley are out for the rest of the season - Holland, Ryan, O Shea and Deysel are going to be the locks from now until end of season - Copeland and DOC could probably do a job but not ideal and and a Ryan injury away from a massive problem. Chisholm is not back playing - he is training. Cronin is just back training and will presumably hope to play this weekend.

Keatley and Sailli are injured and expected out for the QF - neither were likely to start but at least one and probably both were on the bench. Keatley out is an issue as Bleyendaal missed the last game. Murray is carrying an injury as well obviously, but hopefully wil be back - far from ideal in terms of preparation though

Kleyn is the biggest loss without doubt, but we re definitely close to major issues if any of J Ryan, D Ryan, Murray, Bleyendaal get injured (or don't make the QF)
Don't forget Madigan - melter of rucks. DOC is the guy I'd back at lock. Same height as Billy, but far more dynamic.

We really need Cronin's scrummaging ability back for Toulouse: who have 6 top tier (if aging) front rowers.

It's between TOD & Oliver @ 7.

Could Earls play 13 to allow Zebo, Conway and Sweenmqn start in the b3?

With Keatley out either Johnson or Scannell will need to bench.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

From a neighbouring forum:

From Chris Farrell's twitter feed today -

1/2 As a result of reckless media today, I want to clarify that I was asked to attend police station Grenoble to assist as a 'WITNESS'

2/2, with the investigation into a complaint. I confirm, contrary to many assumptions the associated allegations where not directed at me!

https://twitter.com/Farrell_C93
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Ronan O’Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Dave O’Callaghan, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony Capt., Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Conor Oliver, Angus Lloyd, David Johnston, Dan Goggin.

Strong looking team for Munster, with a lot of front line players starting.
This is a massive plus when looking to next week.

I would actually leave most of these players in situ for the qf for the minimum disruption.

I would bring Zebo in for ROM, and have earls on the bench as backline cover.

Ryan and stander will of course walk into the team in place of DOC and JOD.

Continuation is key imo.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

munster#1 wrote:Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Ronan O’Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Dave O’Callaghan, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony Capt., Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Conor Oliver, Angus Lloyd, David Johnston, Dan Goggin.

I would actually leave most of these players in situ for the qf for the minimum disruption.

Continuation is key imo.
I can see Cronin starting if he goes well tmr. Much better scrummager than Kilcoyne and ST have some beasts upfront. Baille, Census, Steenkampf, Gilaraldino, Tolufua.

Earls and Zebo will def come in for ROM and I would hope Scannell, rather than Sweetnam or Conway. Much better defensively, and this game will all be about big hits.

Best backline in Ireland?

9 Murray
10 Tyler
11 Zebo
12 Jaco
13 Earls
14 Sweetnam
15 Conway
"Only in America!"

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Wouldn't be happy with Earls at 13 myself
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

Taute is a very similar player to JDV. Not great pace, but great hands (l & r) and phenomenonal tackler.
"Only in America!"

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Cor. Ind. wrote:The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

Taute is a very similar player to JDV. Not great pace, but great hands (l & r) and phenomenonal tackler.
JDV arrived the following season
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Cor. Ind. wrote:The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

He played outside Henshaw(who's better than Taute and maybe as good as or better than JDV) 2 years ago at the RWC, looked a long way off topline.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Earls lived off offloads from Mafi way back when. It worked well as a ploy but it wasn't enough to justify some of the hype.

He's been playing really well lately.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Don't get me wrong, he's a fine wing - not a great centre though.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

paddyor wrote:

He played outside Henshaw(who's better than Taute and maybe as good as or better than JDV) 2 years ago at the RWC, looked a long way off topline.

Henshaw has never thrown as beautiful a try scoring pass for Leinster as I saw JDV float perfectly for an on rushing Drico in the RDS. #vision
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Henshaw has never thrown as beautiful a try scoring pass for Leinster as I saw JDV float perfectly for an on rushing Drico in the RDS. #vision
I think you should have gone with #aisling as that can mean dream or vision - because Drico scored by drifting outside DeVilliars onto a pass from Sexton and Horgan scored by intercepting a pass from Warwick intended for DeVilliars
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Ha! Memory is plastic. I stuck the two together. It's a few years ago.

It was the Warwick pass that was a beaut.

Anyway that game clouds my opinion of de Villiers.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He was dreadful that day alright - I believe Franno called him a Harvey Norman player afterwards, which was many NH rugby fans introduction to the term!
I have Bumbleflex
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Cor. Ind. wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Ronan O’Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Dave O’Callaghan, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony Capt., Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue.

Continuation is key imo.
I can see Cronin starting if he goes well tmr. Much better scrummager than Kilcoyne and ST have some beasts upfront. Baille, Census, Steenkampf, Gilaraldino, Tolufua.

Earls and Zebo will def come in for ROM and I would hope Scannell, rather than Sweetnam or Conway. Much better defensively, and this game will all be about big hits.

Best backline in Ireland?

9 Murray
10 Tyler
11 Zebo
12 Jaco
13 Earls
14 Sweetnam
15 Conway
No, not even close. For example is there a position Zebo hasn't been chased down from behind from this year?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donnacha Ryan joining Racing? Is that true?
I have Bumbleflex