Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Post by blockhead »

Bomber on the radio this morning saying that he has signed nothing yet. Also said that he's loving it here, loves the city etc.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Stuart Lancaster has indicated that he will commit his future to Leinster where the former England boss is currently working as a senior coach.

It was widely reported yesterday that Leinster had contracted their entire management team, including head coach Leo Cullen, until 2019.

Their previous deals were due to expire this summer.

“I’m contracted to the end of the season. Nothing’s signed and sealed yet but there’s a very good chance I’ll stay," Lancaster told the BBC.

“I’m really enjoying it, hopefully for the next couple of years and see where I go from there.

“The main factor for me, and coming back to the family is, is it right that I’m away from home for so many nights of the week?

"The kids are 15, 16, 17 and making decisions about going to university and all that sort of stuff.

“It is an easy decision in that I love the club, I love the city and I’m really enjoying it.”
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Get the kids to go to UCD and dad can drop them off on his way to work. Sounds very promising anyway.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

matt wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Think I've said this before, but the fact that this unusual coaching arrangement has worked out is really testament to the character of Leo, Girve and Stuart. I'm sure all three have coaching egos, and many coaches wouldn't work well at all in this situation, but all three are open minded enough to work collaboratively.
Don't forget Fogerty he is the best communicator especially on matchday of the 4 and seems to be doing very well with the front row forwards generally. I get the impression from some others previous posts that Fogerty not appreciated enough by some on this forum and wondering if some people still a bit narrow minded about Munster coaches?
yeah Fogarty has gotten very little love despite the fact our scrum has been pretty good, think he managed to get overlooked on grounds of quality of props he had to work with and at same time pilloried over lack of heft in second row
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:Bomber on the radio this morning saying that he has signed nothing yet. Also said that he's loving it here, loves the city etc.
Limecat needs to issue him a warning about his wumming.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Edna Kenny wrote:Get the kids to go to UCD and dad can drop them off on his way to work. Sounds very promising anyway.
All the West Brits go to Trinners .
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
matt wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Think I've said this before, but the fact that this unusual coaching arrangement has worked out is really testament to the character of Leo, Girve and Stuart. I'm sure all three have coaching egos, and many coaches wouldn't work well at all in this situation, but all three are open minded enough to work collaboratively.
Don't forget Fogerty he is the best communicator especially on matchday of the 4 and seems to be doing very well with the front row forwards generally. I get the impression from some others previous posts that Fogerty not appreciated enough by some on this forum and wondering if some people still a bit narrow minded about Munster coaches?
yeah Fogarty has gotten very little love despite the fact our scrum has been pretty good, think he managed to get overlooked on grounds of quality of props he had to work with and at same time pilloried over lack of heft in second row
Apologies - Leo-Burt-Girv-Foggs-et-al
Mick Dawson will get a special mention when Burt does renew his contract.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschool wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:Get the kids to go to UCD and dad can drop them off on his way to work. Sounds very promising anyway.
Incorrect usage of West Brits there, surely they're Brit Brits :roll:
Besides UCD is where it's at 8)
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

RoboProp wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Incorrect usage of West Brits there, surely they're Brit Brits :roll:
Besides UCD is where it's at 8)
UCD's a kip. If that's the best we can offer his kids, he's gone.
Dawson better have Patrick Prendergast tapped up. 3 scholarships and a promise of rooms in Botany Bay.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leinster re-sign entire coaching ticket ahead of 2017/18 season

Stuart Lancaster signs two-year deal, backs coach Girvan Dempsey a one-year deal

Gavin Cummiskey
Leinster have re-signed their entire coaching ticket. Stuart Lancaster will remain for two more seasons as senior coach under Leo Cullen, who was reappointed head coach rather than the director of rugby title used by Ulster and Munster as Guy Easterby fulfills many of the off-field duties in his capacity as Head of Operations.
Interestingly, scrum coach John Fogarty also got a two year extension but backs coach Girvan Dempsey is believed to have only signed a one year deal.
However, Dempsey’s development as a home grown Irish coach appears to be valued on the same level as Munster’s Felix Jones and Racing 92’s Ronan O’Gara. The IRFU refused to confirm, but it is being reported that Dempsey, Jones and O’Gara will link up with Joe Schmidt’s Ireland for the June tour of the USA and Japan.
Securing Lancaster’s expertise - the 47 year old currently commutes between Dublin and his home in Leeds - for the current World Cup cycle is the most prized and perhaps expensive contract on a day when Leinster also announced 13 player deals to go with Jamie Heaslip and Devin Toner recently penning national contracts.
“I am here with positive thoughts about the next two years and although it (the contract) has not been finalised and confirmed, I am certainly not looking at other options,” said the former England coach last week. “There has been no ego involved with me being at Leinster as (head coach) Leo Cullen was very open-minded.”
Notable omissions from the newly contracted Leinster list are Mike Ross and Dominic Ryan. Since returning from injury, the 37 year old Ross has been unable to force his way ahead of Michael Bent as tighthead prop cover for Tadhg Furlong. Also, Leinster and UCD are currently switching 21 year old Andrew Porter from loose to tighthead prop.
Ryan is believed to be looking for a new club in England as Leinster’s backrow stocks are set to be continually replenished over the coming seasons.
Jack Conan and Heaslip will duel for the number eight jersey while Jordi Murphy is another to sign a new contract despite the serious knee injury sustained against the All Blacks last November.
Locks Mick Kearney and Ian Nagle have also been re-signed while 2016 Ireland under-20s captain James Ryan was recently promoted to the senior squad. Mike McCarthy is joining Narbonne in France while Hayden Triggs is also due to leave now that Scott Fardy, the 39-times capped Wallaby flanker, is taking up the one foreign second-row slot permitted by the IRFU.
Zane Kirchner is being replaced by the non-capped New Zealand wing James Lowe.
34 year old club captain Isa Nacewa is expected to play on for at least one more season but thereafter he looks a logical addition to the coaching staff having spent time as the Auckland Blues mental skills coach following his initial retirement in 2013. Leinster contracts: Adam Byrne, Bryan Byrne, Ed Byrne, Jack Conan, Barry Daly, Tom Daly, Jamie Heaslip, Mick Kearney, Dan Leavy, Luke McGrath, Jordi Murphy, Ian Nagle, Noel Reid, Richardt Strauss, Devin Toner.
Leinster (academy to senior contracts): Ross Byrne, Joey Carbery, Nick McCarthy, Rory O’Loughlin, Andrew Porter, James Ryan, Peadar Timmins.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave, does this suggest that Isa might be replacement for Girv on coaching ticket for 2018-19?

Very glad to hear Girv is going to have a Masterclass series with ROG and Felix under Joe during the summer. 12 months is a long time in Irish coaching circles.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
I'm very excited about the few years as a Leinster fan.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Dave, does this suggest that Isa might be replacement for Girv on coaching ticket for 2018-19?

Very glad to hear Girv is going to have a Masterclass series with ROG and Felix under Joe during the summer. 12 months is a long time in Irish coaching circles.
Ooooooooooh thats interesting angle
Girv has a year to make or break himself
Or Isa could become skills coach
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Dave, does this suggest that Isa might be replacement for Girv on coaching ticket for 2018-19?

It would appear to the way I read it anyways. I don't think it would be a bad thing if Girve were to get out of the Leinster gene pool for a time for his own career progression - We'd miss him massively, as far as I'm concerned the entire modern Leinster 'entity' started with Girvan, but if he wanted to go I'd think it was a good thing, of course if he wanted to kill goats at half time in every match I'd think it was a good thing
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The only way I'd say that could be true of Girv is if he's being lined up for Ireland duty. Don't think it would make sense to give Isa the backs role straight away in the circumstances
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Was Cummiskey given this story to stop him writing about our lofty arrogance?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Fanning in the INDO.
Meantime, the soap opera that has surrounded the contract extensions of the Leinster coaching staff has been comical. This has nothing to do with the value placed on Stuart Lancaster - who has been transformative - or his assistants, rather what the IRFU need from Leinster on the job specs of those involved before they sign off on it all. What on earth could be taking Leinster so long?

Lancaster is nailed on till 2019, after which it's understood his plan is to explore options in the Southern Hemisphere. In the meantime, the arrangement of the furniture around him is evidently proving problematic
Can someone explain this to Blockhead?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:Fanning in the INDO.
Meantime, the soap opera that has surrounded the contract extensions of the Leinster coaching staff has been comical. This has nothing to do with the value placed on Stuart Lancaster - who has been transformative - or his assistants, rather what the IRFU need from Leinster on the job specs of those involved before they sign off on it all. What on earth could be taking Leinster so long?

Lancaster is nailed on till 2019, after which it's understood his plan is to explore options in the Southern Hemisphere. In the meantime, the arrangement of the furniture around him is evidently proving problematic
Can someone explain this to Blockhead?
Apparently Nucifora asked for an explanation on what the respective "head coach" and "senior coach" roles entailed; i.e. who is in charge of what- and by implication who is Main Man.

Not sure why it should be a matter that has to be defined. After all "constructive ambiguity" works well in peace processes and the like. We have our own reconstruction job on here. If it's working, why poke at it too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Journalist likes making up soap opera to sell papers. Complains about lack of scandal and backfighting coming from arrangement that should be a mine for column inches because he has to write something.

Fanning is one of the sports journalists who doesn't like that Lancaster is not trying to push Leo out.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Really enjoyed this podcast with Lancaster, lots of deep insight into his approach:
http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.302/96703/0/

Love the 'comfortable in chaos' approach. It sounds like they've been doing lots of unstructured training at high intensity. Should help is against a side like Clermont.