Leinster v Wasps Aviva Stadium 1st April KO 3.15 BT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Wasps Aviva Stadium 1st April KO 3.15 BT

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:In case people missed it BT Sports carried a 20 min Craig Doyle piece last evening (during Munster game) entitled "From the Ground Up". Current interviews with Leo and Burt and some very interesting insights. Presume it is on Catch-up TV.
This programme is repeated today- Sunday - at 2.30 p.m. No doubt after wtatching it that Burt is staying. What a relief.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Oldschool wrote:Just a thought on Ringrose.
The rest of the team aren't up to speed with him yet.
I agree, and it could remain a problem for a while yet, his movements are often so unpredictable. Wonderful to watch and hopefully someone will trail his runs in time, he brings so much to the attack. Another word for Carbery - his work for the first two tries was so good and apparently effortless that it's easy to overlook. That, and his constant threat with the ball is what got him the MOTM imo, and that's not meant to diminish in any way some of the other immense performances from Henshaw, Ringrose, SOB etc.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

dropkick wrote:I thought Carbery was the stand out player. He made a few mistakes but the positives heavily outweighed any negatives. He looks very casual at times but you can see he is always probing for the weak spots in the opposition defence.

While most of the Leinster squad had a good game, they still made numerous mistakes. They still have a bit to go in terms of the team gelling but they're on the right road.

Wasps looked well beaten. Jimmy Gopperth boasted that the AP is far more intense than the pro12 but the pro12 clubs have dominated the AP clubs this season. Saracens still the stand out AP side by far.
A lot of mistakes indeed and we made heavy weather of beating them considering our possession.

Gopperth said... a whole lot of stuff like every match is like Leinster Munster (bullshit) and notably that Marty Moore has really changed with the fitness regime in Wasps and now looks like a back rower :lol: :lol: more like two hookers duct taped together.

He has a sense of humour.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

I thought Henshaw played like a giant yesterday.
Real leader who just made yards every time.
You do a little sneak glance along the line when we are attacking/defending and feel very assured looking at the current occupants.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote:Great performance and impressive result. There was some tempo to the game - particularly in the first half - and we fought and dominated them at their own game.

Some of the younger players had huge games - Leavy, Henshaw, Carbery, Ringrose, Conan - which was great to see.
However, it was even more rewarding to see some of our older squad members who have struggled with injuries stepping up big time. Sexton and SOB performed to a level as good as they ever have.

Delighted for Ferg too.........
Blown away by the euphoria of the result yesterday, it was difficult to be truly objective in assessing the performance. However, having looked at the game again this morning it really was a curate's egg. We had at least five clear-cut scoring chances which we spurned in the first half, although I acknowledge they may not all have come if we taken one of them; by 38 mins, we had conceded 5 pens, three of them by Tadgh; Dan Leavy made six tackles, all on big forwards, in a 5 minute period between 26 and 31st mins; Robbie Henshaw's carrying is just ridiculous, he broke the gainline on each of his 15+ carries in the game; Ringrose tackled superbly and cleaned up loose ball and carried out of defence on four occasions.

No question that we creating more than any other team in Europe at present but our patience and execution of try-scoring will have to improve in away semi-final.

BTW, it appears that Curtley Beale may have knocked on the flip-up pass from Jimmy G at the start of his superb run to create Le Roux's flop. Secondly, still not clear whether Nigel or TMO went upstairs for Le Roux's flop-dive. Certainly J10 was giving Nigel huge verbals and gestures as Le Roux touched down, but he initially ignored Jonno.

Finally, for the Refs out there, did Le Roux knock it on? Every sequence I've watched, including frame by frame, shows the ball going backwards relative to his hands, and he then lands on the ball with his chest / stomach, clearly getting downward pressure.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Live it looked like Beale knocked on to me, I just had a good view.

I get your point wrt le roux, I think you may be right. But on the other hand, the minis at half time showed how you put the ball down. I guess their coach was telling them before the match and using that as an example of how not to ground the ball.

Don't think you can grip the ball on your belly to ground for a try though, he'd lost the ball. Didn't meet any wasp fans (great as usual, had great chats, don't leave Europe please) who thought anything other than what a plonker...
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

We definitely should have put them away a lot earlier with all the chances we had...and we gave away a lot of stupid penos (I remember that silly period from Furlong). That is frustrating but, on the other hand, we repeatedly cut them up. It was a very dominant performance, based on tempo and skills.

A lot of people highlighting Carbery's mistakes - I noticed a couple - but remember he was out of position (or at least out of the position he says is his best), so I think he deserves a lot of slack given the electric impact he had on the game. The Isa and Conan tries came from his brilliance.

Given how highly he usually performs, and how we all talked up the leadership he would bring to the backline, I thought Isa was a bit sloppy yesterday actually. BOD highlighted a couple of high profile mistakes (for Wade's try and Ringrose's 2 on 1 break on the left wing) but there were others. Not a dig at Isa at all but just a bit surprising.

Anyway, it's good to have work-ons. My top 2 would be:
- lineout: doesn't seem to matter who the hooker is, so Dev needs to do more work.
- defending teams running from deep: we seem to be set up with the tight five in the centre of the pitch on kick-chase; most teams have figured that out and are making serious yardage at times trucking it back up; also chasers are still missing first up tackles.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Great performance and impressive result. There was some tempo to the game - particularly in the first half - and we fought and dominated them at their own game.

Some of the younger players had huge games - Leavy, Henshaw, Carbery, Ringrose, Conan - which was great to see.
However, it was even more rewarding to see some of our older squad members who have struggled with injuries stepping up big time. Sexton and SOB performed to a level as good as they ever have.

Delighted for Ferg too.........
Blown away by the euphoria of the result yesterday, it was difficult to be truly objective in assessing the performance. However, having looked at the game again this morning it really was a curate's egg. We had at least five clear-cut scoring chances which we spurned in the first half, although I acknowledge they may not all have come if we taken one of them; by 38 mins, we had conceded 5 pens, three of them by Tadgh; Dan Leavy made six tackles, all on big forwards, in a 5 minute period between 26 and 31st mins; Robbie Henshaw's carrying is just ridiculous, he broke the gainline on each of his 15+ carries in the game; Ringrose tackled superbly and cleaned up loose ball and carried out of defence on four occasions.

No question that we creating more than any other team in Europe at present but our patience and execution of try-scoring will have to improve in away semi-final.

BTW, it appears that Curtley Beale may have knocked on the flip-up pass from Jimmy G at the start of his superb run to create Le Roux's flop. Secondly, still not clear whether Nigel or TMO went upstairs for Le Roux's flop-dive. Certainly J10 was giving Nigel huge verbals and gestures as Le Roux touched down, but he initially ignored Jonno.

Finally, for the Refs out there, did Le Roux knock it on? Every sequence I've watched, including frame by frame, shows the ball going backwards relative to his hands, and he then lands on the ball with his chest / stomach, clearly getting downward pressure.
There was a knock-on at the start of the move anyway, none of the officials spotted it.
Dont Panic!
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Carbery was brilliant. He has even more to offer. Would love to see him at outhalf. I wonder has ISA slowed down too much. Might prefer to see him as an impact sub now.

No way should we feel inferior to any French team. We can whip them all as we have the best squad by far in Europe and probably anywhere. Our selection problem now is who to leave out.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:Adam Byrne was getting treatment a couple of minutes before he came off so I'd be pretty confident he picked up an injury
Ciaranirl already said about it being his hammy but you could see it clearly on two occasions. The first was after his big break across the pitch, he stayed down and was grabbing the back of his leg. Then he seemed okay for a while (although not running freely and didn't even really try and link up with Sexton when he sliced a kick out of play) before going down again on the right touchline. Strange one because you'd think he'd be straight off if he felt it badly but it didn't seem too bad so fingers crossed. Thought he was playing well despite Wasps targeting him from the off.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Le Roux didn't actually touch the ball once he dropped it, there's an angle showing that he missed it completely. If he'd belly-flopped onto it that would have given him the try as the law allows that the front of the body (from neck to waist inclusive) pressing down constitutes grounding. What a showboating dope, basically.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So happy with that performance. It wasn't perfect but we played some great stuff, have a few things to work on and a relatively clean bill of health...pretty much exactly what you'd want going into a big semi final.

I've been critical of SOB recently but thought he was absolutely immense. He looked far more dynamic than he has done for ages and cut out the silly mistakes. He did give away one penalty but looking at the replay it looked harsh, although Owens did have a good view and seemed certain. Anyway, he was brilliant.

Fair enough we blew some chances but I thought our attack was outstanding. We basically did the opposite of everything I've complained about Ireland doing recently. SOB is the best example of how different it was. He was used a bit wider and always took the ball at pace, not just using him as a battering ram close in off static ball. We weren't lateral either. I know it wasn't off a set play but Henshaw's try was exactly what Ireland have been lacking. Furlong heads for the space/inside shoulder and fixes his man, SOB heads for the space/inside shoulder and fixes his man, Johnny heads for the space/inside shoulder and then has Henshaw running the same support line inside him and he's in. Absolutely top drawer.

People have been praising Henshaw and he really was brilliant. I mean this in the nicest possible way but he's almost like a dog playing fetch. He just constantly runs around to get involved on the ball, he may as well not wear a number, he just does everything and he does it at 100 miles an hour. His covering chase for the kick behind was excellent, but his ability to get back up and get us another yard and allow his support play to secure the ball perfectly was world class.

Ringrose was incredible too. I can't remember any mistake and he has so many brilliant moments. Had joey not stolen the show I think everyone would be raving about Garry today. I'd love to know how many touches Joey had, he seemed to be everywhere. I get that people think he's too casual at times, but watching it back you can see how he was only casual after being up the field just before it so its more understandable. He's scarily good though, even if he's only had the two try assists it would have been classed as a brilliant performance. The step on Cipriani made you think that this is Joey Carbery's world and we just live in it.

The pack was great around the pitch. There's been some criticism of Furlong but I only remember the penalty for taking someone off the ball and thought he was slightly unlucky there, we'd been doing that all day and his timing was just slightly off. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a better front row at the breakdown. It's not just that he clears people out when you think it's too late, but he destroys them.

Thought Luke and Isa were good live, not so much on second viewing. Wouldn't say there were poor though, just not as good as the others. I'd have sympathy for Luke on Gopperth's try though. Himself and Molony recognised that we needed numbers out wide but Tracy was slow to cover across, so Luke briefly changed from sweeping to being in the line and then went to sweep again, at which point Jimmy stepped inside and caught him flat footed. Had Tracy been across quicker then it wouldn't have happened. Isa very poor for Wade's try but a bit unlucky with some of his other errors. Hard to blame him for something like the missed tackle on Beale in the corner. Great kick and chase but Beale does an amazing matador act and skips away, you just have to hope the second wave of tacklers nail him there.

Disappointed by Wasps I have to say. Weak enough up front and Cipriani and Gopperth was a mess of a combination. Did Le Roux do anything at all apart from blowing the try? Beale was their main threat and we did more to get him in the game than they did.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Isa made a crucial intervention early in the first half when Wasps had a maul rumbling towards our line and he stepped in (leaving a 4/0 overlap) to give crucial assistance in holding it up, gaining the award of a scrum.

Big shout out for Triggs too. I thought he had his best game by far even if that turnover on their line was disappointing,
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

You have to be in control of the ball when it is grounded if you have it (different if it is a loose ball on the ground). That is all and he wasn't
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

fourthirtythree wrote:
dropkick wrote:I thought Carbery was the stand out player. He made a few mistakes but the positives heavily outweighed any negatives. He looks very casual at times but you can see he is always probing for the weak spots in the opposition defence.

While most of the Leinster squad had a good game, they still made numerous mistakes. They still have a bit to go in terms of the team gelling but they're on the right road.

Wasps looked well beaten. Jimmy Gopperth boasted that the AP is far more intense than the pro12 but the pro12 clubs have dominated the AP clubs this season. Saracens still the stand out AP side by far.
A lot of mistakes indeed and we made heavy weather of beating them considering our possession.

Gopperth said... a whole lot of stuff like every match is like Leinster Munster (bullshit) and notably that Marty Moore has really changed with the fitness regime in Wasps and now looks like a back rower :lol: :lol: more like two hookers duct taped together.

He has a sense of humour.
Jimmy was great for them yesterday and I was delighted fir him- once we had it won. I always felt he was unlucky here to succeed Sexton and took a lot of undeserved stick. But that's a load of me h**e on every game being of equal intensity to an inter pro. It is a better overall standard, but not that much better- Bristol anyone? The top four or five from both leagues are on a par.

But on Marty Moore he was as wide of the mark as the prop's consistent midriff profile. But aside from the evidence of his body shape Marty didn't come close to eclipsing Furlong or dominating Cian. The unfortunate HIA withdrawal made it hard to judge, but in the limited time he was on the field, I watched him and was not witness to any additional skills or capabilities above what he offered us before his move to Coventry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

wixfjord wrote:I would absolutely love Toulon to win tomorrow. Reckon we'd take them.
Yeah, I've no affection for them (and do have some for ASM) but hope they dig this out here cos they look directionless.

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Interview with Matt Moore last week in the ST: Dai Young hero worship​, how he wants to play for Wasps forever and how his career is so much more fulfilled now. The best bit was where he was talking about watching Ireland play England. He was asked how it felt, and he said "mixed emotions". On one hand, he is Irish, but on the other hand, so many of his mates from Wasps were playing against them. Made me really want to see him get smashed yesterday to be honest.

Anyway, I couldn't get over how unfit he looked. Even though he came on as a sub, he was always the last man to get up. He was puffing and panting around the field. There was a lineout where he arrived well after the rest of the forwards, who were all just staring at him jog up the field.

Not a player I'd be looking to bring back.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Morre warmed up in front of me in the first half. When i say warm up he did a lot of stretching but little or no running/moving. He did not look fit at all and this was made even more obvious when Leinster warmed up in the second half. Both Healy and Bent looked positively svelte​ in comparison.

In a match before he left at the RDS when warming up i confused him for Jamie Hagan. Yesterday he looked like an unfit Jamie Hagan. :D :lol: :D :lol:
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

CiaranIrl wrote:Interview with Matt Moore last week in the ST: Dai Young hero worship​, how he wants to play for Wasps forever and how his career is so much more fulfilled now. The best bit was where he was talking about watching Ireland play England. He was asked how it felt, and he said "mixed emotions". On one hand, he is Irish, but on the other hand, so many of his mates from Wasps were playing against them. Made me really want to see him get smashed yesterday to be honest.

Anyway, I couldn't get over how unfit he looked. Even though he came on as a sub, he was always the last man to get up. He was puffing and panting around the field. There was a lineout where he arrived well after the rest of the forwards, who were all just staring at him jog up the field.

Not a player I'd be looking to bring back.
Oh I'd say young Martin knows now that he hailed the wrong taxi a year ago and there's no great clamour to bring him back. But to be honest, if I was Nucifora I'd go for him now. Even if we aren't keen to promise him anything- he'd be a good (but definite) number two TH at this stage, Ulster or Connacht would kill for him. Not likely to be accepted of course. He's made his bed and is determined to lie in it- no matter how lumpy, but make the offer anyway.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

artaneboy wrote: Oh I'd say young Martin knows now that he hailed the wrong taxi a year ago and there's no great clamour to bring him back. But to be honest, if I was Nucifora I'd go for him now. Even if we aren't keen to promise him anything- he'd be a good (but definite) number two TH at this stage, Ulster or Connacht would kill for him. Not likely to be accepted of course. He's made his bed and is determined to lie in it- no matter how lumpy, but make the offer anyway.
He wouldn't start for Connacht. Bealham's a solid scrummager and much better ball player. Could you imagine Marty lumbering around trying to keep up with their game?

Ulster could use him alright but I don't think anybody would break the bank for him.
We're all red on the inside.