Donnacha Ryan to Racing rumours

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Donnacha Ryan to Racing rumours

Post by ronk »

Munsterboy wrote:It's illogical that the IRFU would block it at all. It tends to be counter productive because stopping an unhappy player from moving within the system generally results in them leaving the system altogether.

Howeve, even if they did block it back then, why wouldn't it be happening now instead? I'm sure Leinster would still like to have him instead of an NIQ and he wouldn't have been breaking a contract with Munster.

It doesn't add up. Fact remains he'd probably be staying in Ireland if the IRFU had offered a CC. They didn't and he isn't. That's bad for Irish and Muster rugby and it's on them.
It might be on him.

The central contracts system was never to built to match every offer from an overseas club. It was supposed to hold strategically important players by trying to ensure that the difference in offers was small enough for players to be facilitated to decide to stay.

If he wants to go badly enough, it's hard to keep him. There's only so much money to go around. There was cash to repatriate JJ and sign Farrell. The funds showed up to sign medical jokers. If he's playing hardball then the probably can sign someone cheaper.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Garret Fitz confirming Ryan is off.
“Obviously you don’t want to lose your best players, Donnacha was in the prime of his career, it’s been proven that second rows play their best from 28, 30 years of age plus.

“We had a very amicable relationship with Donnacha and we still do, he’ll give us 100% to the end of the seasons, and now he’s decided to go elsewhere to play, we’ll be the first to wish him the best of luck.

“We’re disappointed to lose him but that’s what happens - you have to move on, think of the future and to realise there are other people who will get opportunities they mightn’t have gotten before. That happens in all sports.”
It seems pretty obvious now that he wanted out of Munster one way or another
Best of luck to the lad, still though, pity.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

blockhead wrote:Garret Fitz confirming Ryan is off.
“Obviously you don’t want to lose your best players, Donnacha was in the prime of his career, it’s been proven that second rows play their best from 28, 30 years of age plus.

“We had a very amicable relationship with Donnacha and we still do, he’ll give us 100% to the end of the seasons, and now he’s decided to go elsewhere to play, we’ll be the first to wish him the best of luck.

“We’re disappointed to lose him but that’s what happens - you have to move on, think of the future and to realise there are other people who will get opportunities they mightn’t have gotten before. That happens in all sports.”
It seems pretty obvious now that he wanted out of Munster one way or another
Best of luck to the lad, still though, pity.
His beef is clearly with the IRFU who either didn't give him a cc and/or low balled him on salary.

It's no surprise he wanted out of Munster last year. Foley's reign was a disaster, unfortunately. I'm amazed that he would choose RCM over Munster now though...though this all appears to have been done and dusted back in the fall - hence DR being dropped for the Scotland 6N game...and we know how well that went...sloe Joe... :roll:
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Well looks like Triggs to Munster now - mores the pity, I like Triggs he's a good footballer
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Another NIQ?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Cor. Ind. wrote:
His beef is clearly with the IRFU who either didn't give him a cc and/or low balled him on salary.
No, his beef is with Munster Rugby. When he had a central contract he wanted to leave, when he didn't have a central contract he wanted to leave. He simply wanted to leave.
I have Bumbleflex
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:
No, his beef is with Munster Rugby. When he had a central contract he wanted to leave, when he didn't have a central contract he wanted to leave. He simply wanted to leave.
He's never had a beef with Munster. He considered his options back in 2011 when he felt stuck between a rock (poc/doc) and a hard place - i.e. the heralded (fools gold) emergence of Nagle & Foley after the Munster Victory over the Aussies in Nov 2010.

As I said no one could blame him for wanting to leave a sinking ship last year. Leinster was obviously his preferred option, as it both allowed him to remain within the ambit of his cc and also live in the same city as his partner. The IRFU refused and relations soured...Rassie in his press conference last week completely contradicted POR's IRFU hit piece in the ST. I know which one I'd believe.

The real tragedy - reading between the lines of Rassie's sage words - is keeping guys like Rob & Jamie on CCs when we have so much talent @8 & 15 coming through, while the cupboard is bare @lock...plus ca change...
"Only in America!"

scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Cor. Ind. wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:
He's never had a beef with Munster. He considered his options back in 2011 when he felt stuck between a rock (poc/doc) and a hard place - i.e. the heralded (fools gold) emergence of Nagle & Foley after the Munster Victory over the Aussies in Nov 2010.

As I said no one could blame him for wanting to leave a sinking ship last year. Leinster was obviously his preferred option, as it both allowed him to remain within the ambit of his cc and also live in the same city as his partner. The IRFU refused and relations soured...Rassie in his press conference last week completely contradicted POR's IRFU hit piece in the ST. I know which one I'd believe.

The real tragedy - reading between the lines of Rassie's sage words - is keeping guys like Rob & Jamie on CCs when we have so much talent @8 & 15 coming through, while the cupboard is bare @lock...plus ca change...
Kearney's contract was renewed in November 2014 when there was no sign of talented fullbacks coming through
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
Kearney's contract was renewed in November 2014 when there was no sign of talented fullbacks coming through
Payne/Zebo/Olding??? I can understand why they would have backed Kearney tbh although a 2 year contract might have made more sense ( I don't see a whole lot of sense in players contracts being up the year before a world cup and pretty sure he had injury problems before that although may be wrong in that )

There are still a lot of people writing as if they know the detailed ins and outs - we simply don't and it appears as much as anything that Munster and IRFU are spinning this like made because no one comes out of this well. We should not be losing one of our key players in a relatively weak position depth wise. If (and its a very very big if) Ryan wanted to move to Leinster then its an all mighty balls up by the IRFU - Signing Fardy when you could have had Ryan.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if its as simple as a call being made that he didn't warrant one of the very few and very valuable central contracts (a decision that has to have been taken in the knowledge that he would likely have bigger offers than Munster could match). Its no surprise to me that this Ryan is prepared to move - he has hinted at it before and probably hasn't had a relatively speaking very lucrative career, until the last couple of years). Making that decision is justifiable, although its a bit of shot in the dark.

What it does bring to light is the limitations of central contracts, and the problems that can arise from investing too much in the wrong player - I don't agree with Heaslips contract for example, and Bowe afaik has a contract through to June 2018 which is mad to think about now.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Well here's what we do know.
He wanted out last year. He was refused. He's leaving now.

And good a player as he is, he wouldn't be the top earning bracket in the top 14. The IRFu/Munster could at least match most of the offer.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Golf Man wrote:....
What it does bring to light is the limitations of central contracts, and the problems that can arise from investing too much in the wrong player - I don't agree with Heaslips contract for example, and Bowe afaik has a contract through to June 2018 which is mad to think about now.
No It doesn't. That's an entirely separate issue that's been tagged on to this saga by people with an agenda.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Golf Man wrote:
scentofgunpowder wrote:
Payne/Zebo/Olding??? I can understand why they would have backed Kearney tbh although a 2 year contract might have made more sense ( I don't see a whole lot of sense in players contracts being up the year before a world cup and pretty sure he had injury problems before that although may be wrong in that )
Payne was viewed as the potential replacement for BOD at 13, and Olding and Zebo most likely viewed as a centre and a winger that can cover fullback.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Donnacha Ryan to Racing rumours

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I just think denying DR his dream move to Leinster is a travesty, and for some Munster fans (not all on here) to say he is disloyal for wanting such a move is a bit bitter and uncalled for.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The facts as we know them.
1. A year ago he wanted out.
2. A year ago Munster in disarray.
3. A year ago, Age over 30, still applies.
4. A year ago he had a buddy coaching with Racing.
5. A year later buddy still coaching in Racibg.
6. Buddy coach in Racing is a guy he could trust.
7. Buddy coach etc says the money is good and can probably fix the girlfriend up with a job too.
Conclusion
Ryan takes buddy's etc advice and signs up with Racing.
QED.
Epilogue.
Ryan, at press conference, says a lot of nice things about Munster etc and that Racing are a great club etc and that while it was one of the toughest decisions he has had to make he's glad that the matter is finally concluded.
He'd like once again to thank everyone in Munster, Joe, David and the IRFU.
Finally he'd just like to wish Rassie all the best when he takes up his new role as South African coach.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Oldschool wrote:The facts as we know them.
1. A year ago he wanted out.
2. A year ago Munster in disarray.
3. A year ago, Age over 30, still applies.
4. A year ago he had a buddy coaching with Racing.
5. A year later buddy still coaching in Racibg.
6. Buddy coach in Racing is a guy he could trust.
7. Buddy coach etc says the money is good and can probably fix the girlfriend up with a job too.
Conclusion
Ryan takes buddy's etc advice and signs up with Racing.
QED.
Epilogue.
Ryan, at press conference, says a lot of nice things about Munster etc and that Racing are a great club etc and that while it was one of the toughest decisions he has had to make he's glad that the matter is finally concluded.
He'd like once again to thank everyone in Munster, Joe, David and the IRFU.
Finally he'd just like to wish Rassie all the best when he takes up his new role as South African coach.
Putting it out there that Ryan wanted a transfer to Leinster last year looks like an attempt by the IRFU to deflect blame from themselves for making a bags of it. Really poor form from them.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

No offer of a central contract
therefore if Munster want to keep the player (described this week by Garret Fitzgerald as in his prime) they had to offer a decent contract
Munster's CEO & bean counters can quite simply work out that there is is $$$ being freed up at end of current season with the contracts of 2 other 2nd rows ending (Ryan and Chilsom)
Munster have also been able to arrange the finance this season for numerous short-term signing (including 2 South African internationals)
so, to me its a case of Munster offered a p1ss poor contract or the player was leaving anyway and his mind was made up - i'm thinking its very much a case of the latter.

either way Munster should have some decent money freed up from their departing players to be able to afford a decent replacement.

Triggs, Nagle, Mick Kearney would be 3 suggestions
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Am I wrong in understanding that the difference here is the irfu will not sanction more than s 2 year contract but that R92 are offering 3yrs?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

*** Edited by Mod ***
"Only in America!"

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

paddyor wrote:
Golf Man wrote:....
No It doesn't. That's an entirely separate issue that's been tagged on to this saga by people with an agenda.
So a player who is currently first choice in a position of limited depth (most limited?) leaves because he didn't get a central contract - yet this is entirely seperate from limitations/issues around aforementioned central contracts => there is no logic to your statement

There are a limited number of central contracts, and more players looking for them than contracts available. These limitations can only mean that players who feel they deserve central contracts will not always get them - obviously opens up the possibility of a Ryan type scenario - particularly when its a "last" contract - to suggest there is no link and is agenda driven is naive at best
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

*** Edited by Mod ***
"Only in America!"