A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by Hornet »

artaneboy wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Only problem is it wasn't put out to tender. It was appointment by approach, with the inherent bias that is caused by such procedure.
Source?
Paul Rees in yesterday's Guardian:
"... the organisers European Professional Club Rugby see the occasion as a chance to expand the game rather than keep it in strongholds."

Rees was and remains a noted shill for the Oligarchs of the new regime. He's close to the pulse. No mention of any tender process there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Guardian is about a useful a source as the Mail.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It is indeed, well as the Torygraph anyway, excepting anything relating to science of course where the Mail and Torygraph are substantially less useful than consulting your own arse. Its rugby coverage is particularly poor and distinguished in a poor field by just how low it will stoop to gain access. And it stooped rather low, so it's a reasonable barometer of what the Nigels want out there, that's its purpose in this context.

We will however need to see some evidence of a tender. They do leave trails.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Hornet wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Hornet wrote: Source?
Paul Rees in yesterday's Guardian:
"... the organisers European Professional Club Rugby see the occasion as a chance to expand the game rather than keep it in strongholds."

Rees was and remains a noted shill for the Oligarchs of the new regime. He's close to the pulse. No mention of any tender process there!

Well we can all reject information that doesn't suit, based on the news outlet- sometimes with good reason. But other publications confirm it was a decision of the "new administration"; no mentions of tenders. Where did. You get you're info that it was?

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

artaneboy wrote:
Hornet wrote:
artaneboy wrote: Paul Rees in yesterday's Guardian:

Well we can all reject information that doesn't suit, based on the news outlet- sometimes with good reason. But other publications confirm it was a decision of the "new administration"; no mentions of tenders. Where did. You get you're info that it was?

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Hornet wrote: The Guardian is about a useful a source as the Mail.
Not really, only one of those kids has been banned by Wikipedia and labelled an unreliable source.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

The Doc wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
...premier inn at the gate where I imagine the Doc met his students...
Had to check - close - but actually stayed at Premier Inn City Centre (New Bridge Street) - wasn't for the views
Ah, well that explains it. Crammed in by Northumbria Uni and the central motorway will lead to profound sense of ennui.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

artaneboy wrote: Well we can all reject information that doesn't suit, based on the news outlet- sometimes with good reason. But other publications confirm it was a decision of the "new administration"; no mentions of tenders. Where did. You get you're info that it was?
EPCR Director General, Vincent Gaillard
"We had exceptional bids for the 2018 finals which is testimony to the transparent and detailed process that we have implemented. Bilbao is a state-of-the-art venue with a commitment to the financial and operational elements of our finals that will allow us to deliver outstanding rugby experiences in a new and exciting setting. Newcastle also gives us a top-class venue and a new city in England for the biggest matches in the European club game. To successfully engage with an unprecedented number of bidding cities over the last months shows the attractive proposition that our finals present and we see this a really positive sign for the future of European professional club rugby."
My bold.

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24762

I would not rely on any single source for confirmation from the Press. Journo's have long given up factual reporting, instead relying on their own viewpoint to be taken as fact.
colinmtn
Knowledgeable

Post by colinmtn »

Here is the press announcement from last December when Newcastle submitted their bid, they were the only English bidder. Cities were asked to apply through their leagues governing body, the IRFU decided not to bid as they didn't think they could win given this years final is in Edinburgh.

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/news-story ... cup-finals

I heard there were only 3 bids submitted, Newcastle, Bilbao and Cardiff.
All hail the monstrous nerd. I am by far the SUPREME NERD GOD!!!
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

Newcastle is a great spot. Very different to the perceptions and would be a brilliant venue for a final given the stadium is plonked right in the city center. Hopefully we make it and turn the Toon blue!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

I've been watching the Vuelta al País Vasco over the last couple of nights. Certainly whetting my appetite for a trip to Bilbao, and a chance to explore the Basque Country. Not been to Newcastle for years. Some great places around there though to spend some time.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Hornet wrote:I've been watching the Vuelta al País Vasco over the last couple of nights. Certainly whetting my appetite for a trip to Bilbao, and a chance to explore the Basque Country. Not been to Newcastle for years. Some great places around there though to spend some time.
Bilbao was a bit industrial/major port city for me but I didn't get a huge amount of time to spend there.

San Sebastian/Donosti is an absolute gem of a place.

Vittoria is worth a look too.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Morf wrote:
Hornet wrote:I've been watching the Vuelta al País Vasco over the last couple of nights. Certainly whetting my appetite for a trip to Bilbao, and a chance to explore the Basque Country. Not been to Newcastle for years. Some great places around there though to spend some time.
Bilbao was a bit industrial/major port city for me but I didn't get a huge amount of time to spend there.

San Sebastian/Donosti is an absolute gem of a place.

Vittoria is worth a look too.
Will stay in Bayonne fantastic rugby town, Pottoka is the best mascot in the world. Easy trip across the border for the game. ( Bouncing Basque bus to the match ).
Flying wedge
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Its behind a paywall but Torygraph reporting EPCR getting rid of guaranteed national representation

Am on board with it now personally
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Where is that?
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:Its behind a paywall but Torygraph reporting EPCR getting rid of guaranteed national representation

It's the slippery slope to an English-French competition which is what they originally were trying for.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rooster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Its behind a paywall but Torygraph reporting EPCR getting rid of guaranteed national representation

It's the slippery slope to an English-French competition which is what they originally were trying for.
Nah they need us more than French, French would leave them for a younger tournament in a heartbeat

@DC Gavin Mairs tweeted the link IIRC
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Thankee kindly sirrah
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Italian teams make our draw harder because we don't get them in our group often. It suits the English and French teams anyway.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Just been looking at the Clermont squad for the weekend's final- their injury list is horrendous! I'm not sure they even have 2 fit centres to start.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Lamerat has been declared fit along with Parra so some good news for them on that front anyway.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am