To get the thread started (apologies if there is one already):

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 96204.html
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Tour to Japan

Post by simonokeeffe »

The Joe Schmidt thread is threatening to go that way

and dont forget the USA, or where do we play them?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

How many will they take?
Players I'd like to see, with the only potential lion included being Payne.
1. Kilcoyne, Buckley.
2. Scannell, Tracy, Strauss or maybe Heffernan.
3. Ryan, Bealham, Bent.
4. Treadwell, Molony.
5. Roux,
6.Leavy
7. VDF
8. Conan, O'Donoghue.
9. Marmion, McGrath.
10. Jackson, Carbery.
11. Stockdale
12. Scannell, Olding.
13. Marshall
14. Byrne, probably Sweetnam.
15. Payne, Conway.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Treadwell has been catching their eye apparently
Id leave Molony with his feedbag and take Holland instead, plus Dillane
Ruddock and TOD
Ringrose TOH
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Fan with smartphone wrote:How many will they take?
Players I'd like to see, with the only potential lion included being Payne.
1. Kilcoyne, Buckley.
2. Scannell, Tracy, Strauss or maybe Heffernan.
3. Ryan, Bealham, Bent.
4. Treadwell, Molony.
5. Roux,
6.Leavy
7. VDF
8. Conan, O'Donoghue.
9. Marmion, McGrath.
10. Jackson, Carbery.
11. Stockdale
12. Scannell, Olding.
13. Marshall
14. Byrne, probably Sweetnam.
15. Payne, Conway.

Molony, Marshall, JOD and Strauss are all in danger of not going. I don't think they deserve to go based on this seasons form.
Other players I'd like to see there that are not on your list are TOH, ROL, SOBII and McCloskey.

I'd like to see Heffernan instead of Strauss. I don't see Strauss making the next world cup so no point bringing him to Japan.

Olding and Payne could swap positions with Olding playing as a second receiver fullback, like Carbery did at the weekend. That would keep him away from the heavy traffic and allow him use his skills and speed more in open areas.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

simonokeeffe wrote:Treadwell has been catching their eye apparently
Id leave Molony with his feedbag and take Holland instead, plus Dillane
Ruddock and TOD
Ringrose TOH
Treadwell has a lot to learn, but that's why I'd take him. He's big, quick and young. Dillane is hurt unfortunately, but yeah Holland should have been in there, that's an oversight as is TOH. All the rest I agree should be there, although Ruddock has had a disrupted season and might be better getting a clear run at next season. Sean O'Brien 2 I would have as close there. Ringrose possibly could have other plans, so left him out. O'Donnell having an excellent season, so yep. How big a squad are they taking for 3 games? Is McCloskey not injured too dropkick?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Maybe this is little bit like the obvious game but surely Joe will be trying to take the players (other than those selected for the Lions) who will make the RWC 2019 in Japan?

That's two full Seasons away. Players two years older with two years more development....and two years more injuries......and two years more experience. Yes, it's a possible opportunity to prepare to broaden his Squad for next Season, but next Autumn's internationals don't count for ranking points for the World Cup, so those games can be used to prepare a Squad for 6Nations 2018.

This Tour may be solely focussed on RWC2019. There is no doubt that whatever Squad Joe selects should be capable of beating the US & Japanese teams.

Taking that viewpoint, nobody should be selected who isn't on an upward pathway in development and performance. All selected should be those with perceived very high ceilings. Where there are positions in which we are missing players selected for the Lions, I would prefer to see young Provincial players of high potential selected, rather than picking the next guy in the current pecking order, if he's unlikely to still be on an upward progress curve come Japan 2019.

This is a unique opportunity to prepare a world cup squad two years out. We shouldn't waste that chance, even though it might disappoint one or two older players who have contributed very well to their Province, and possibly even country, in the past.

Based on the list above guys like Kilcoyne, Bent, Strauss, Holland, Marshall, both Kearneys, Ferg and Payne could lose out. Some of the uncapped names that might squeeze in include Heffernan, Treadwell, Cooney, Stockdale, Byrne or O'Loughlin.

However, I firmly believe that the vast majority of our current Irish Squad, who are not selected for the Lions, will form the bulk of the Squad.

All in all, not a straight forward selection by any means.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

With regards to wings and fullbacks, all three of Stockade, Sweetnam and A Byrne should go. They are the form wingers in Ireland. Stockdale and Sweetnam in particular could very easily be our starting wings in the world cup. Both have outrageously high ceilings imo and Schmidt should look to include as soon as possible.

Full back I would have Carbery or TOH. Both are class at attacking off kick returns and add another string to the bow of the Irish attack.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Fan with smartphone wrote: Is McCloskey not injured too dropkick?
I haven't heard but it wouldn't surprise me.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Maybe this is little bit like the obvious game but surely Joe will be trying to take the players (other than those selected for the Lions) who will make the RWC 2019 in Japan?.
Or, he'll bring the players who will make the Autumn Internationals squad - the RWC in 2019 is probably fifth on his priority list right now
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Need some guys with experience plus theres the integration element too, so Payne and Holland worth it on that front. Plus Holland now possibly backup for Dev. Andrew Browne worth a look too

Dont think anyone can say JOD hasnt been playing well. Plus hes well liked already by mgmt
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I'd say they'll go with a bit of experience in the squad. Plus they are also hunting for votes for the WC 2023 bid so just bringing a bunch of kids may not go down well.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I may be wrong, but I think McCloskey played for Ulster in the A game last weekend.
Luke Marshall has to go. Apparently he was 24th man for a few of the 6 Nations game this year, so he's definitely high up on Joe's list.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

am loving, well mildly amused by, how 99% of the coverage of the extra coaches is ROG but the 2 other home grown coaches currently coaching at European semi finalists are barely getting any mention from the lamestream meeja
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:am loving, well mildly amused by, how 99% of the coverage of the extra coaches is ROG but the 2 other home grown coaches currently coaching at European semi finalists are barely getting any mention from the lamestream meeja
Not really surprising though
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ROG was on a Joe.ie podcast today and was saying that he regularly rings up Joe to ask for advice on various rugby matters. Also said that he asked Joe if there was any opportunity to accompany the senior team to consider him. Bit Joe's hand off when he was invited on this tour.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Should Bundi Aki be brought along as an "observing" tackle bag?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

I wouldnt be surprised in JJ Hanrahan and Farrell will both be selected given they will be playing in Ireland next season.
Given the travel involved and the long season, I'd nearly like to see 25 men go to the US for that test, after which half of them are excused from the Japan leg.
then fly another 12-15 straight to Japan for the final 2 tests, but these would have the benefit of a weeks break rather than flying to the US

If it was my choice I'd only consider players who'll be in a shout for the wc in 2 years.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

bamboozle wrote:I wouldnt be surprised in JJ Hanrahan and Farrell will both be selected given they will be playing in Ireland next season.
Given the travel involved and the long season, I'd nearly like to see 25 men go to the US for that test, after which half of them are excused from the Japan leg.
then fly another 12-15 straight to Japan for the final 2 tests, but these would have the benefit of a weeks break rather than flying to the US

If it was my choice I'd only consider players who'll be in a shout for the wc in 2 years.
Good suggestion but very unlikely in JS set-up as he considers the value of people in Camp is the education into an entire system. The amount of "homework and research / review' that comes with membership of the Irish Squad is enormous. Some is documented, some is video work, huge parts are pitch work. But the stories from guys in Camp about the sheer volume are consistent. Couple this with the reality that Joe and fellow coaches, rightly don't want to clog up the experienced guys with going through the same things just because a couple of new guys have arrived in Camp.

So, can only envisage him picking one Squad for US / Japan tour.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Maybe this is little bit like the obvious game but surely Joe will be trying to take the players (other than those selected for the Lions) who will make the RWC 2019 in Japan?.
Or, he'll bring the players who will make the Autumn Internationals squad - the RWC in 2019 is probably fifth on his priority list right now

Agree that it may be down the priority list but it is a unique opportunity which no Irish players will be able to experience before RWC19.

Japan is a totally different culture and a very different environment from anywhere else. Even though Irish Squad will be in a bubble, the reality is that language, people, humour, customs, transport, food etc will be totally new to Irish guys, as will their rugby style. On this basis I believe that Joe will treat this out of the ordinary process of Squad development.