Clermont v Leinster - Champions Cup SF

Moderator: moderators

Mickado
Knowledgeable

Clermont v Leinster - Champions Cup SF

Post by Mickado »

Well lads, i've flights and accommodation booked.

The only thing missing is the all important match ticket. Stadium has 40k capacity so hopefully shouldn't be too tough getting our hands on some.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Clermont v Leinster - Champions Cup SF

Post by johng »

Mickado wrote:Well lads, i've flights and accommodation booked.

The only thing missing is the all important match ticket. Stadium has 40k capacity so hopefully shouldn't be too tough getting our hands on some.
Should be plenty in Leinster allocation for all who want to travel
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

johng wrote:

Grand. I got someone else to book flights and accom, so i thought I better do something to find out about ticket. Presume I just hang on for the email from the branch.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Mickado wrote:
johng wrote:

Grand. I got someone else to book flights and accom, so i thought I better do something to find out about ticket. Presume I just hang on for the email from the branch.
Yeah - give it a day or so - I would guess ST holders will be able to pick up 3 or 4 - so if there is any restrictions on getting them just shout out here and there won't be a problem
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

The Doc wrote:
Yeah - give it a day or so - I would guess ST holders will be able to pick up 3 or 4 - so if there is any restrictions on getting them just shout out here and there won't be a problem

Super, cheers. But I only need 2 and I'm a STH myself so should be sorted.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Are Clermont in Decline?

After more than a decade of dominance, or at very least prominence, in French and European Rugby, it's reasonable to assert that over the past 18 months i.e. since roughly October 2015, Clermont have been in decline, albeit from a very lofty perch.

Since losing their astounding unbeaten home record (77 unbeaten games in succession ending in defeat to Castres in May 2014 by 16-22) and shortly afterwards, their Coach Vern Cotter to the Scottish National role, success has been fleeting.

They failed to qualify last Season from their Pool for the EPCR q/fs beaten by Exeter, Ospreys and Bordeaux. They were heartbreakingly beaten in the Top14 play-off by Racing92 by a whisker, 33-34.

In the current 2016/7 Season, they have had three high-scoring draws (30-30 with both La Rochelle and Stade and then 23-23 with Bordeaux), in addition to losses to Castres, Montpelier, Racing92 and lowly Bayonne. In fact, since 24 Oc. 2015, they have lost a total of 19 games, drawn 3 and won 35. A good percentage return, but well down on their great days.

On a heady day last December, Ulster put 39 points on them in Ravenhill, against 32. Unfortunately, a week later, ASM Clermont scored double Ulster's total of 19 in soundly extracting revenge within their own citadel.

From a Leinster perspective, their results in more recent weeks may be more instructive and in particular their three losses since the beginning of March to Castres, and Montpellier (our Pool companions) and Racing92. Although the biggest margin was only 10 points and the cumulative difference in three defeats only 22, the fact is that three,, tough competitive packs helped inflict the losses that saw Clermont slide 11 points behind the, unexpected, Top14 frontrunners, La Rochelle.

This is not typical Clermont behaviour, or indeed performance. So what's happening to Les Jaunards?

The Club had minimal player movement during the closed season, largely replacing four leavers on a like for like basis. Cudmore by Timani, Davies by Lamerat, James by Toeava and Kotze by Jarvis. None of the arrivals lowered the average age of the Squad which hovers around 27.

However, some Club supporters cite the announcement of Jono Gibbs departure to Ulster to become Head Coach, in mid-February, as the catalyst for the mini slump. One can certainly make that case as, a few days later Clermont conceded 27 points at home to lowly Bayonne, before losing to Castres (A) and MontPellier (H) in successive games.

Interestingly, in none of those three March defeats did Clermont lead at half time. Their style is to hammer away at opposing forward packs in the opening 40 minutes, before giving their backs a much greater proportion of good ball with which to work, in the second stanza. Getting ahead, and staying there, is strategically how to beat Clermont.

How to do so tactically, we'll look at later in the week.
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

johng wrote:

Codes sent out to Season ticket holders today - where OLSC suggest buying Cat 2 or Cat 3.

Looking at accompanying seating plan most of CAT 3 Yellow is behind the posts.

In Gerland you are an awful way back behind the goals. I would say people should make effort to buy on one side so maybe pay for Cat 2
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

If you are randomly allocated tickets having picked Cat 2, this means Leinster fans would be in the four corners of the stadium. Any way we can choose which corner we would prefer thereby concentrating us more together?
Four Stars
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Lar wrote:If you are randomly allocated tickets having picked Cat 2, this means Leinster fans would be in the four corners of the stadium. Any way we can choose which corner we would prefer thereby concentrating us more together?
I cant find a seating plan for the stadium but it is North South in alignment. I have asked the branch to resend the image in the email in higher resolution.
Hopefully it will be a sunny day but by 4pm I will have had my fill of sunshine so I will be going for the North West corner if possible.
I wonder will it be like Toulouse in 2006 when they split us all up into the 4 corners......that worked out ok :D
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Lar wrote:If you are randomly allocated tickets having picked Cat 2, this means Leinster fans would be in the four corners of the stadium. Any way we can choose which corner we would prefer thereby concentrating us more together?
Looking at the email, there are cat 2 and 3 sections circled... Not sure if that is where we will be allocated or where they want us to select
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
grapevine
Beginner

Post by grapevine »

4 of us going... Which category 2 tickets and section is everyone else going for?
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

The Doc wrote:
Looking at the email, there are cat 2 and 3 sections circled... Not sure if that is where we will be allocated or where they want us to select

Circled sections in OLSC e-mail are:

1. east stand (used to be called Stade Jean Bouin when OL still played there) I think LOU rugby call is Serafim Tribune and
2. Virage SUD in corner behind the post

Having been at a few soccer matches there view from the two ends is awful. The stands are way back and the gradient between the rows is very light.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

used the link supplied by the branch. set up profile (name , address etc.) but it is giving me a message in french saying I cannot book as a "Leinster Fan". Anyone any ideas?
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Booked no problem for me.
Four Stars
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Lar wrote:Booked no problem for me.
ok thanks. what section did you book? Do you know where most leinster fans will be?
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

5 tickets booked Serfim G
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

scrum25 wrote:5 tickets booked Serfim G
got it I wasnt using the log in that was given int he email. I had set up another username :roll:
Section G that looks like the place to be.
y_escala

Post by y_escala »

Hello guys,

I am an ASM fan and it's really complicated to book a ticket for the semi-final against your team Leinster.

I would like to ask if someone among you is a "Leinster fan" as the branch ask and as I am not I can't book.

So I hope that someone among you is and is not going to go to this semi-final in Lyon and if he/she could let me his/her log that was sent so I could book a ticket.

I will be very grateful if anyone does this.

Sorry for my aprroximate english.

Best of luck in the semi-final and thanks a lot for reading this.

Yacine, a french mate
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

6 booked same section
grapevine
Beginner

Post by grapevine »

4 Serfim G booked... Thanks to everyone for advice.... #coybib