Ospreys v Leinster Sat 3pm - Live on Sky

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ospreys v Leinster Sat 3pm - Live on Sky

Post by ronk »

Thought we had some interesting changes in our attacking shape. I'm guessing that Leo anticipated Ospreys working on defending the wraparound and dropped it from the gameplan.

No big deal but was interesting to see how often Henshaw was used as first receiver and/or in passing situations. Like there was an attempt to develop that part of his game.

It worked at times but there was a bit of a tendency for the first receiver to be too wide and deep if we were static after a few phases.
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

Blue Voodoo wrote:What a superb drop goal from Byrne to win the game really pleased for him and the team

Looked at the final penalty awarded to Ospreys - can't see why it was given would have been very sore about it if it cost us the game
The Pro12 is unquestionably the best league in the world right now, but the standard of refereeing is really holding it back
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Not taking a fairly straightforward penalty kick on 54 mins when we led by 6 was a bad decision.

I'm delighted with the win but we could have made it a bit easier for ourselves.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

maps wrote:
Blue Voodoo wrote:What a superb drop goal from Byrne to win the game really pleased for him and the team

Looked at the final penalty awarded to Ospreys - can't see why it was given would have been very sore about it if it cost us the game
The Pro12 is unquestionably the best league in the world right now, but the standard of refereeing is really holding it back
Wait, what?...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Vital win. Gives us a bit of breathing room which is crucial to managing the players for Europe. Cronin was unexpectedly brilliant (didn't expect him to be so effective first game back). Thought Lacey was fairly decent and consistent save for the scrums. Ross Byrne, take a bow. That was beautiful.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
BigL
Learner

Post by BigL »

When's the last time an Irish team scored a late drop goal away to a Welsh team, to take a slight lead, only for the Welsh team to get a penalty to win the game..... BUT THEY MISSED IT!

Good omen. The other Irish team had a fairly good season too!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Thought it was a pretty obvious high tackle from Byrne. A bit unfortunate given the player in possession was quite low but that's a penalty everytime at the moment.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote:

Thought it was a pretty obvious high tackle from Byrne. A bit unfortunate given the player in possession was quite low but that's a penalty everytime at the moment.
Yeah I thought in real time it was a 'Lacey special' decision, but in reality it was a high swinging tackle.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

What to do with Carbery is a bit of a conundrum. He's gone backwards as an out half based on that performance. Do we stick with him as a fullback for the long haul? If not, then is it doing him a disservice to bounce him between the two positions? I'd hate for him to end up like Madigan.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote:What to do with Carbery is a bit of a conundrum. He's gone backwards as an out half based on that performance. Do we stick with him as a fullback for the long haul? If not, then is it doing him a disservice to bounce him between the two positions? I'd hate for him to end up like Madigan.
What exactly did Carbery do wrong yesterday? Not sure why there's such a clamour about him playing badly? Thought he kicked well, not as effective with stepping, but Biggar/Matavesi is a good defensive pairing and JGP was having a bit of mare with service.

The shape to our attack was poor yesterday, but I'd have more of an issue with Henshaw and Kirchner here than Carbery. Of our starting backs yesterday, I thought he was the best actually.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:What to do with Carbery is a bit of a conundrum. He's gone backwards as an out half based on that performance. Do we stick with him as a fullback for the long haul? If not, then is it doing him a disservice to bounce him between the two positions? I'd hate for him to end up like Madigan.
What exactly did Carbery do wrong yesterday? Not sure why there's such a clamour about him playing badly? Thought he kicked well, not as effective with stepping, but Biggar/Matavesi is a good defensive pairing and JGP was having a bit of mare with service.

The shape to our attack was poor yesterday, but I'd have more of an issue with Henshaw and Kirchner here than Carbery. Of our starting backs yesterday, I thought he was the best actually.
+1
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote:

I thought he was way to deep and there was a lack of authority/structure. Back at the start of the season he was giving directions and organising the back line way more. He looked a bit rusty imo.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I dont Carbery was bad in everything or even for the most part bad, just a little off his game. We kicked to the corner around 50 minutes for a maul. It didnt work and when carbery got the ball back he just seemed to chuck it on and we got turned over. Thats not all on him, but he didnt seem to be pressing the attack. He hasnt played there in 4 months, i think that will have an impact on performance.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

I thought he was way to deep and there was a lack of authority/structure. Back at the start of the season he was giving directions and organising the back line way more. He looked a bit rusty imo.
If it's rust though, then surely that doesn't mean he has 'gone backwards as an outhalf'?

I agree we were deeper than usual, but that seems to be the case constantly when Sexton isn't starting, and if anything is more of an issue when Byrne is starting than Carbery, who usually takes ball to the line well.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote:I dont Carbery was bad in everything or even for the most part bad, just a little off his game. We kicked to the corner around 50 minutes for a maul. It didnt work and when carbery got the ball back he just seemed to chuck it on and we got turned over. Thats not all on him, but he didnt seem to be pressing the attack. He hasnt played there in 4 months, i think that will have an impact on performance.
Yeah that was a poor moment alright, albeit again, I'd place a good bit of blame on those around him for that. We really messed that opportunity up and iirc there wasn't much on so he relied on Kirchner to truck it up, who got caught upright.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I think we have to remember that Carbery is still very inexperienced, and away to Ospreys is always one of the toughest games of the season. He didn't shine, as he has in other games, but we still go the win.
I wouldn't worry about him becoming another Madigan as Madigan never had the same spark and skill as Carbery, especially when he was 21!
Also worth mentioning that some outhalves have no issue playing another position - Felipe did it plenty, Owen Farrell etc.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

You use never have seen Madigan in 2013 season then.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Finally got to watch the match.

Victory was even sweeter with the Panto Welsh crowd booing Isa for the whole game for having the cheek to tackle their player...

Rhys Webb really does come across as a really unpleasant little creature. Snide comments and goads every chance he gets. He's like a worse Mike Phillips.

Serious engine on VDF. 75-80 minutes, he really shone I thought when fatigue should have been setting in.

Didn't see a good replay of Byrnes DG. But it looked like he struck it beautifully. He really does have a phenomenal boot on him.

I thought Lacey bought into Ospreys tactics of not letting us roll away Hook Line and Sinker. A few penalties there with the player making a genuine effort and getting blown up. Frustrating.

McCarthy had a nice cameo. Snappy pass and it was quite refreshing to see someone pass from the base of the ruck. JGP and McGrath have habits of taking a step or 2.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Carberry looks better with McGrath as he passes the ball for him to run on to and takes less steps

I love JGP as a finisher/bp chaser but not as a starter
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:Carberry looks better with McGrath as he passes the ball for him to run on to and takes less steps

I love JGP as a finisher/bp chaser but not as a starter
Strikes me that is a coachable. No reason JGP can't do that, his pass is quicker and snappier.

We were very lucky at the weekend, think DEve gave away 10 points with stupid penalties, wasn't Henshaw's finest moment and the ball literally stopped at Zane.....even players who had decent games were making sloppy errors (Ferg's drop of the ball on the restart). We didn't seem to be able to catch a ball in the first half. Ross Byrne is a very lucky lad, slotted a great drop goal and on replay I'd say the penalty was 50/50 but it was a swinging arm in a dangerous place with the game on the line.....he looked a mixture of relieved/shell shocked at the end!

Great to see Dave back, he looks in great nick!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us