Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

My boy Crosbie doing well last night. Lions bolter?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My boy Crosbie doing well last night. Lions bolter?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Tom McCartney didn't look great going off, will likely miss next week I'd say.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Serious Clean out at Connacht going on:

Rory Parata (released)
Jack Dineen (released)
Cian Romaine - academy (released)
Ciaran Gaffney - academy (released)
Conor Lowndes - academy (released)
Stephen McVeigh - academy (released)
John Cooney - Ulster
Ronan Loughney - retiring maybe
Danie Poolman - rumoured to be released
Shane O'Leary - released
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Knock on effect of having such a young squad in general

Parata AND O'Leary is a surprise plus as said before Romaine and Gaffney were highly rated at one stage

Loughney wasnt hgreat and was injured a lot. Poolman has been ovrtaken by younger wingers
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

simonokeeffe wrote:Knock on effect of having such a young squad in general

Parata AND O'Leary is a surprise plus as said before Romaine and Gaffney were highly rated at one stage

Loughney wasnt hgreat and was injured a lot. Poolman has been ovrtaken by younger wingers
Looks like they're going to be replaced by Farrell and Crosbie, which I would say is an upgrade
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

sunshiner1 wrote:Serious Clean out at Connacht going on:

Rory Parata (released)
Jack Dineen (released)
John Cooney - Ulster
Shane O'Leary - released

Cooney is a loss and Gaffney and Loughney are surprising for me but then again i wouldn't question Nigel Carolan's judgement. Some of those players let go has hardly featured this season as Connacht have struggled.

I'd agree that Crosbie and Tom Farrell are upgrades on Parata and O'Leary. Coulson is a good addition too if he arrives. I watched him a few times for Grenoble and the Grenoble scrum was marching forward against the likes of Racing.

With the clear out it likely means a large amount of arrivals.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Knock on effect of having such a young squad in general

Looks like they're going to be replaced by Farrell and Crosbie, which I would say is an upgrade
well LeRoux will be happy with crosbie :mrgreen:

Farrell really impressed me for u20s
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

What I've seen of Farrell this season is that he's a very good attacker and linker but he's a terrible defender. I can see why he was let go by us. Crosbie is probably an up-grade on SOL so no real problem there. Loughney might actually stay on now depending on Coulson's legal troubles in France. The guy might get another contract for obvious reasons. Poolman has not played well this season and had injury issues. Jack Dineen I am surprised at as he was well thought of at Connacht. Tragically he's behind 3 awesome hookers in McCartney, Heffernan and Delahunt so from a financial perspective it makes sense I suppose.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

sunshiner1 wrote:What I've seen of Farrell this season is that he's a very good attacker and linker but he's a terrible defender. I can see why he was let go by us. Crosbie is probably an up-grade on SOL so no real problem there. Loughney might actually stay on now depending on Coulson's legal troubles in France. The guy might get another contract for obvious reasons. Poolman has not played well this season and had injury issues. Jack Dineen I am surprised at as he was well thought of at Connacht. Tragically he's behind 3 awesome hookers in McCartney, Heffernan and Delahunt so from a financial perspective it makes sense I suppose.
Noel Reid managed to dramatically improve his defence this season at 26 years old so there's hope for Farrell in that regard.

On Loughney, I'd be so disappointed if we continued into next season with a massive weakness in our squad because one signing didn't work out.

Think injuries have done for Danie sadly.

Delahunt hasn't signed on yet, but none of the other provinces have a need for a hooker so hopefully we'll keep him. He doesn't get the gametime he deserves.
Topdawg
Learner

Post by Topdawg »

Was surprised Conor mckeon wasn't announced as one being released hasn't featured at all would've thought lowndes was better than him. Munster could do worse than sign romaine
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Topdawg wrote:Munster could do worse than sign romaine

Why? There's already 4 or 5 second rows looking to make it in Munster. Madigan, sean McCarthy, O'Shea, Sean O'Connor, Wycherley. If Romaine can't make it at Connacht, i don't think he is Munsters level.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

sunshiner1 wrote:Serious Clean out at Connacht going on:

Rory Parata (released)
Jack Dineen (released)
John Cooney - Ulster
Shane O'Leary - released
Can't really dispute many of those calls. O'Leary in particular hasn't looked good enough when played. Having said that, I think Gaffney was very noticeable for the Ireland u-20s a couple of years back, so surprised to see him released. I also thought Parata looked sharp in the backs. Bit harsh on those two.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Topdawg
Learner

Post by Topdawg »

dropkick wrote:
Topdawg wrote:Munster could do worse than sign romaine

Why? There's already 4 or 5 second rows looking to make it in Munster. Madigan, sean McCarthy, O'Shea, Sean O'Connor, Wycherley. If Romaine can't make it at Connacht, i don't think he is Munsters level.
Madigan seems plagued by injuries can't catch a break Sean McCarthy has been out injured for most of this year and yet to be convinced by O'Shea doesn't seem up to it or unfit. Sean O'Connor Wycherley have great potential and high ceilings as does romaine
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Cardiff getting 5pts off the hairsprays not good for Connacht in the race for the playoff for the ERC next year. Given that we almost certainly have a home semi, wouldn't be that put out if we did them a favour tonight
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

We have a five day turnaround between European SF and Glasgow game and then we're away to an Ulster team who will be looking to cement a Top 4 position. Not sure why people think we're just about there for a home SF
A proud Winsome Fluter
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Makes no odds to Connacht. 7th and 8th place play 7th in England or France. Or the Challenge cup winners if not already qualified.

Not sure which is the worst fixture and you have to play the winner of the other game anyway so 7th or 8th is no big deal. Neither team can be caught by Embra either
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:we're away to an Ulster team who will be looking like cement
fixed
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wake up Connacht. Playing the pattern for Pat Lam's pride is madness. One or two grubbers or chipkicks (without waiting for a pending penalty) would totally screw-up any defensive pattern against you. Sticking stubbornly to playing wide to wide means a competent disciplined defence each of whom can tackle, will force your mistakes and pick up the scraps.

Burt and Leo out-thought Lam and his stubborness ensured Connacht went down when they might have won.
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

johng wrote:Makes no odds to Connacht. 7th and 8th place play 7th in England or France. Or the Challenge cup winners if not already qualified.

Not sure which is the worst fixture and you have to play the winner of the other game anyway so 7th or 8th is no big deal. Neither team can be caught by Embra either
Posted this elsewhere, but finishing eighth gives a better draw than finishing seventh. Eight place plays away in England then has home advantage for the "final", which definitely seems more appealing than having to win in France AND England/Wales.

19/20/21 May 2017

Play-off 1: Aviva Premiership (seventh-ranked club) v Guinness PRO12 (ninth-ranked club)

Play-off 2: TOP 14 (seventh-ranked club) v Guinness PRO12 (eighth-ranked club)

The Premiership and TOP 14 clubs will have home advantage

26/27/28 May 2017

Play-off Final: winner Play-off 1 v winner Play-off 2

The winner of Play-off 1 will have home advantage
Source: http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... /index.php