Connacht v Leinster Sat 7:35pm 15.04.17 - TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht v Leinster Sat 7:35pm 15.04.17 - TG4

Post by cormac »

Denis Buckley must be able to levitate given some of the stuff he gets away with at the ruck
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

I think the ref let a lot go at ruck time. He missed a lot thou. It's good to get a win out west seeing as they seem to enjoy beating leinster so much. We owed them that tonight. They never stop going thou so fair play to them. I think leinster's fitness this year had surprised most teams as they are able to keep such a high tempo for 60 mins then raise it a bit more wfeh it's needed. Lancaster deserves huge credit for that.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

hugonaut wrote:Great win, massive defensive effort and first rate execution. Our linespeed and our hitting was everything we needed it to be.

That was a second string side we sent out and they put a bonus point win away from home on the reigning champions, who put out as strong a team as they could and played with a lot of fire.

Really impressive individual performances from JVDF, Rhys, Ross Molony and Luke McGrath in particular, although every single player out there turned up and got stuck in. Dippy gave away some soft penalties but I thought that his effort was A1. Rossy showed up really well and the front five subs did a cracking job when they came on. Another good performance from Zane at fullback and a really mature turn at No10 from Ross Byrne. Not everything went his way, but he never backed away from making decisions.

Thought the refereeing and the officiating in general was really weak. I think Ian Davies is a grand ref, but it was a big occasion because of Muldoon's 300th game, and he gave a noisy crowd everything they called for. It's a real credit to us that we were able to get out of that game with such a clear points differential, because we got a seriously raw deal at the breakdown.
Accurate and eloquent as always Hugo...sums it up for me in anyways.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great win for Leinster hard work and the appetite of players hunting for a Squad place. Really great application to keep the defence pressing forward, making the hits and getting the reward of mistakes.

Nobody will give us the credit publically, but we created the mistakes that Connacht made in thesecond half by constant line pressure. Congrats to all and thanks from a fan.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Well done Leinster. VDF was phenomenal. Light years ahead of dross like TOD and JOD.

Your form backrow is Leavy/VDF/Conan.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Our fitness this year has been a major plus IMO, players looking well capable of lasting the full 80 regardless! As much praise as Lancaster is getting let's not forget the other coaches involved in the set up, irks me a bit that everything constantly goes back to Lancaster, as well and all as he has done. Higgins came in this year and right from the off the players were about his techniques. I think he was name checked a few times in one of those LAYA healthcare videos.

Fogarty doing a massive job on the scrum. Destroyed Connacht tonight, granted with two old-heads in charge of things ( Ross & Healy ). Give Ross another contract, player/ coach or something. Don't lose him now, very valuable!
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Just back from Galway
Firstly, I apologise for doubting that Leo would put out a team that would lose tonight...maybe that's why I'm not a head coach :oops: ....
Secondly , yes Ian Davies , is really not a great ref , complete homer... and regretfully, the Connacht fans are not terribly knowledgeable in general , in the laws of the game.

Thirdly, Josh VDF.... and Cronin...wow!!!

Thanks lads for a rare great day out at the sportsground
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Connacht v Leinster Sat 7:35pm 15.04.17 - TG4

Post by artaneboy »

carlow man wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
carlow man wrote:In your opinion.
True, well mine and that of every Top 14 club, all of whom tried to sign him (according to berch) and every AP club with a hole in their salary cap (according to CO'S). The signing of Aki by Connacht was on a par with Munsters signing of Cullen
Well let's see where he ends up next season. Is he happy to stay at connacht and want to play for Ireland or will he look at the money on offer elsewhere? Assuming he's not contracted to for next season but I think might be? I still don't see how he would make Ireland any better. Ireland need pace on the wings and at fb. Centres are sorted for me. No way should he be starting ahead of our current 2.
Well, that's just not an opinion that is supported by any evidence. Aki is transparently to the eye and on the stats one of the best backs in not just the Pro 12, but these islands. So of course it would make Ireland better to have him available. Even if you judge Henshaw and Ringrose ahead of him- and much as I love them, I wouldn't- they won't always be there for us. None of that's to excuse his mouthing or slagging- but a game is not a judgement on morals, otherwise Kurtley Beale and several other current greats would not feature in any team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Aki is without doubt one of the most talented backs in the Northern Hemisphere. It is also blindingly obvious that the guy has a chip on his shoulder the size of Antarctica. If he's serious about ever playing Test rugby he needs to cop himself on. I'd couldn't see Joe putting up with his on field antics for a millisecond.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Aki is signed to Connacht for 3 more seasons. Whether he would get in to the Ireland team ahead of Ringrose Henshaw and Payne is a matter of opinion, but if any of them got injured....who else would be ahead of him?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:Aki is signed to Connacht for 3 more seasons. Whether he would get in to the Ireland team ahead of Ringrose Henshaw and Payne is a matter of opinion, but if any of them got injured....who else would be ahead of him?
Earls.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:
johng wrote:Aki is signed to Connacht for 3 more seasons. Whether he would get in to the Ireland team ahead of Ringrose Henshaw and Payne is a matter of opinion, but if any of them got injured....who else would be ahead of him?
Earls.
In ainm Dé, don't start THAT discussion again. :) Earls is winger, end of.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

I never judged his morals. He does come across as a guy with an attitude for some reason. What are his stats exactly? If we are going on tries scored this year, then compare him to o'loughlin. Guy has made more yards and scored more tries. Doesn't mean he should be starting for Ireland (although he deserves a call up to the Japan tour if we're picking on form).
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Would it a stretch to say that's up there with win of the season so far all things considered
1-23 the lads stood up, not or recent but even to deny them losing bonus was terrific
JVDF was a man possessed along with a few others in the pack
Our Backline D is unrecognisable to last season...hat tip to Lancaster
Was it 3 turnover try's from D pressure...I particular enjoyed Cronin laying out Buckley which led to Dalys try....

How many of that 23 will be involved next week do we reckon????
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

[quote="blockhead"][quote="johng"]Aki is signed to Connacht for 3 more seasons. Whether he would get in to the Ireland team ahead of Ringrose Henshaw and Payne is a matter of opinion, but if any of them got injured....who else would be ahead of him?[/quote]

Earls.[/quote]

:P Made me laugh this Easter morning, thanks.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

deco wrote:
blockhead wrote: Whether he would get in to the Ireland team ahead of Ringrose Henshaw and Payne is a matter of opinion, but if any of them got injured....who else would be ahead of him?
Earls.
:P Made me laugh this Easter morning, thanks.[/quote]

Me too. Out loud :)

Earls was very good last night (as always on the wing) but I can only assume someone suggesting he is a better centre than Aki is a champion wum.

I always knew Aki was a petulant, mouthy player but that display last night crossed a new line for me. Davies either has no self-respect or was so cowed by the home crowd he wouldn't book him.
The last warning he gave Aki (about the third or fourth for backchat), yielded the following response from Aki (more or less): you're taking the piss.
That is Hartley-Barnes levels of disrespect for me.
He's a good player but last night was the first time I thought we'd be better off without him.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dominic Ryan's head just doesn't seem to be in the right place anymore. He's a phenomenal athlete, but he's in an impossible situation at this stage. 7th choice backrow, and with 6 international standard players ahead of him. He really needs to move on. Despite having lots he needs to improve on in pretty fundemental areas (like passing, decision making, breakdown etc.), he would be a fantastic asset in a team like Ulster's.

I used to argue against this point with Goreyguy about 2 years ago. He was right and I was wrong.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

He's not even 7th choice,

Heaslip, O'Brien, Leavy, JvdF, Ruddock, Conan, Murphy and even possibly Deegan are all ahead of him now, he would be a good asset in an English Championship club i think.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

A move to London Irish would be good for him. They have walked the championship so next year will be a big one for them. Ryan suits that type of game in England. If he can show the form of his early years then he will prove a smart addition to any side. Surprised ulster haven't tried to get him as they are low on back rows.
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

On the losing side I would like to give a special mention to Tiernan O'Hallrahan. Really hope he puts himself firmly into Joe's plans over the summer. Thought he was very good last night especially on the attacking side of the game.