Connacht v Leinster Sat 7:35pm 15.04.17 - TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Connacht v Leinster Sat 7:35pm 15.04.17 - TG4

Post by artaneboy »

Ryan may be well down the pecking order, seventh or eight- who's counting really. But he has a lot of the physical attributes needed to play regularly on a good team in the Pro 12. His problem is he hasn't developed the game intelligence needed. Some of those penalties were just stupid;,there is a time and place when you SHOULD offend, Heaslip does it instinctively, but Dominic just throws one in when it's a bad option.

He also need to look at his all round game in defence. He far too often picks the wrong position in unstructured chaos. That's not going to work with Lancaster. In the run up to their first try he was close to a ball on the ground on the right hand side. He either dived on it/ at it and at least slowed or screwed up their recycle- or he got back in line early. He did neither; move slightly hesitantly towards it and then watched as a Connacht player regathering it. The ball then went out to the left and a couple of very quick phases or two later Byrne made his own mistake in a scrambling back line to let them in.

Now I hate the John Giles habit of picking one move and extrapolating from that on a player's whole career- but it's emblematic of the difference between him and say Ruddock or Conan. But it is still fixable. Maybe a Connacht or Glasgow would work for him. More ball playing, etc.?
EDIT: watched the replay this morning and I was bit harsh on Dominic on the try. He was hesitant, but did effect a soaking tackle. Still a Conan or Ruddock would probably have flowed that ball down more effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by artaneboy on April 16th, 2017, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Connacht v Leinster Sat 7:35pm 15.04.17 - TG4

Post by Donny B. »

Think Ulster would be missing a trick if they don't sign Ryan. They've feck all depth in their backrow and Henry is pretty f%~ked from injuries at this stage.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

22dropout wrote:On the losing side I would like to give a special mention to Tiernan O'Hallrahan. Really hope he puts himself firmly into Joe's plans over the summer. Thought he was very good last night especially on the attacking side of the game.
Ditto.
Best back on show.
Has always looked class. He and Henshaw (and Marmion) are the only two Connacht players I've thought we should try and nab. Never got the hype around their wingers over him.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Donny B. wrote:Think Ulster would be missing a trick if they don't sign Ryan. They've feck all depth in their backrow and Henry is pretty f%~ked from injuries at this stage.
Definitely the case he'd be an asset to Ulster. But I wonder would other clubs suit his development better. And i's a fact, sad or not, that not too many players from other provinces make there way and settle in the north. That's not to say he shouldn't buck the trend. I really just think Dominic needs to move now.

matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

curates_egg wrote:
22dropout wrote:On the losing side I would like to give a special mention to Tiernan O'Hallrahan. Really hope he puts himself firmly into Joe's plans over the summer. Thought he was very good last night especially on the attacking side of the game.
Ditto.
Best back on show.
Has always looked class. He and Henshaw (and Marmion) are the only two Connacht players I've thought we should try and nab. Never got the hype around their wingers over him.
Heard TOH had ball turned over 4 times v Toulouse as the reason JS not picking him. Did not see that game but anytime I have seen him he is class & there is enough raw material there for JS to iron out any weaknesses.

I hope its Carbury v O'Halloran at least in the 23 as understudy to Payne next year or starting if any injuries or loss of form for centres or Payne.
Last edited by matt on April 16th, 2017, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Spot on. Although I rate marmion, I think luke is coming along nicely and has shown he's the right guy to lead leinster for the next few years if he's fit and keeps improving. T o'h would be a great addition but he loves playing for connacht and a lot starts and ends with him regarding their offense. Losing him now would be a huge loss. It's between him and payne (imo) for the 15 jersey for Ireland.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
johng wrote:Aki is signed to Connacht for 3 more seasons. Whether he would get in to the Ireland team ahead of Ringrose Henshaw and Payne is a matter of opinion, but if any of them got injured....who else would be ahead of him?
Earls.
In ainm Dé, don't start THAT discussion again. :) Earls is winger, end of.
Yeah even M1 signed off on that one a good while ago.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

artaneboy wrote:Ryan may be well down the pecking order, seventh or eight- who's counting really. But he has a lot of the physical attributes needed to play regularly on a good team in the Pro 12. His problem is he hasn't developed the game intelligence needed. Some of those penalties were just stupid;,there is a time and place when you SHOULD offend, Heaslip does it instinctively, but Dominic just throws one in when it's a bad option.

He also need to look at his all round game in defence. He far too often picks the wrong position in unstructured chaos. That's not going to work with Lancaster. In the run up to their first try he was close to a ball on the ground on the right hand side. He either dived on it/ at it and at least slowed or screwed up their recycle- or he got back in line early. He did neither; move slightly hesitantly towards it and then watched as a Connacht player regathering it. The ball then went out to the left and a couple of very quick phases or two later Byrne made his own mistake in a scrambling back line to let them in.

Now I hate the John Giles habit of picking one move and extrapolating from that on a player's whole career- but it's emblematic of the difference between him and say Ruddock or Conan. But it is still fixable. Maybe a Connacht or Glasgow would work for him. More ball playing, etc.?

Ryan has hardly any game time so a little slack my be due but yeah he needs to move on.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

artaneboy wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Think Ulster would be missing a trick if they don't sign Ryan. They've feck all depth in their backrow and Henry is pretty f%~ked from injuries at this stage.
Definitely the case he'd be an asset to Ulster. But I wonder would other clubs suit his development better. And i's a fact, sad or not, that not too many players from other provinces make there way and settle in the north. That's not to say he shouldn't buck the trend. I really just think Dominic needs to move now.
Well his contract is not being renewed so he doesn't have much choice. He almost signed with London Irish a few years back. Now they're looking almost certain to return to the Premiership, they may well come back for him again.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Luke McGrath is quickly becoming one of the most important names on our team sheet. This second half of the season he has grown hugely as a leader in the team. I was no fan of his in early parts of the season and even wanted JGP to start ahead but he's developed hugely.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much is his defence. He's brilliant at sweeping but he also has an uncanny ability to identify trouble and step into the line. He takes everyone around the ankles and as a result never (bar v wasps) misses his tackle. For one of Connacht tries he covered back half the pitch to absolutely smash the Connacht attacker when everyone thought he was in (I think it was Marmion). He's been the biggest suprise package of the year for me. If it wasn't for VDF being a freak he would have been MOTM yesterday
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

curates_egg wrote:
Ditto.
Best back on show.
thats 3 :D
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

IanD wrote:That proves Adam Byrne's hammer is grand.
Yeah, just watched that reply this morning. It was Adeolokun who popped his hamstring in trying to get back.

desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

carlow man wrote:Someone shoukd tell aki to keep his mouth shut for good. Why this guy is keeping Ireland hanging on is beyond me!! He's a poor man's henshaw. Leinster had his number both times this season. Schmidt should concentrate in getting ohalloran in the team, not aki. If he's as good as he thinks he is then go back and play in nz and I'm sure the all blacks will come calling.....not!

Great game to watch thou. Good win and some superb individual performances esp vdf and mcgrath.
agree on Aki. That petulance (and it wasn't just one incident) and mouthing won't endear him to Joe. Very poor discipline; other refs would have him off. The keeping Ireland waiting bit doesn't endear him to me personally either; not exactly chomping at the bit - compare that with Strauss and Stander for instance. On top of that; I'd have Scannell, Marshall before him (already in Joe's plans); in addition there's McCloskey, Olding, maybe even Hanrahan. It's not like we don't have options.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Totally in agreement with that sentiment. Joey has shown the possibilities of an all-court attacking game but O'Halloran shows the potential that a traditional full-back with pace and an attacking outlook can offer. He plays like a mid-90's French full-back think Blanco, and has the hands and pace to back it up. Last evening he had neither Adeoluken or Healy to offer a threat and yet he still causes us problems.

Pick him for Japan now.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Totally in agreement with that sentiment. Joey has shown the possibilities of an all-court attacking game but O'Halloran shows the potential that a traditional full-back with pace and an attacking outlook can offer. He plays like a mid-90's French full-back think Blanco, and has the hands and pace to back it up. Last evening he had neither Adeoluken or Healy to offer a threat and yet he still causes us problems.

Pick him for Japan now.
+1

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

CiaranIrl wrote:Dominic Ryan's head just doesn't seem to be in the right place anymore. He's a phenomenal athlete, but he's in an impossible situation at this stage. 7th choice backrow, and with 6 international standard players ahead of him. He really needs to move on. Despite having lots he needs to improve on in pretty fundemental areas (like passing, decision making, breakdown etc.), he would be a fantastic asset in a team like Ulster's.

I used to argue against this point with Goreyguy about 2 years ago. He was right and I was wrong.
I thought he was good yesterday. He's down for 20 tackles, 2nd only to Josh, some of them very good, catching guys behind the gainline. Somewhat undone by the 4 penalties he conceded but I'd forgive him some of that because I thought the ref was a bit harsh on us and it's only his 2nd game in 3/4 months. Leavy seemed to have the same problem when he was a bit part player in the previous 2 seasons.

Hard to see where he fits in now though. There's a good chance that will be his last game of the season.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

paddyor wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Dominic Ryan's head just doesn't seem to be in the right place anymore. He's a phenomenal athlete, but he's in an impossible situation at this stage. 7th choice backrow, and with 6 international standard players ahead of him. He really needs to move on. Despite having lots he needs to improve on in pretty fundemental areas (like passing, decision making, breakdown etc.), he would be a fantastic asset in a team like Ulster's.

I used to argue against this point with Goreyguy about 2 years ago. He was right and I was wrong.
I thought he was good yesterday. He's down for 20 tackles, 2nd only to Josh, some of them very good, catching guys behind the gainline. Somewhat undone by the 4 penalties he conceded but I'd forgive him some of that because I thought the ref was a bit harsh on us and it's only his 2nd game in 3/4 months. Leavy seemed to have the same problem when he was a bit part player in the previous 2 seasons.

Hard to see where he fits in now though. There's a good chance that will be his last game of the season.
Yeah, he's a sort of Lydiate type player. Would do really well in the right team. I don't think that's Leinster anymore though.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mauler72
Learner

Post by mauler72 »

My Irish is fairly limited, but did the older of th two TG4 analysts say before the game that we had picked our B&I Cup team?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

It's been an excellent two weeks for the squad, two wins and nine points from two tough away assignments. 34 different players featured in the matches and that doesn't even include players of the stature of Garry Ringrose, Jamie Heaslip, Johnny Sexton, Jordi Murphy, Mike McCarthy, Richardt Strauss. Rob Kearney and Sean O'Brien. That's pretty impressive squad depth.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

cormac wrote:It's been an excellent two weeks for the squad, two wins and nine points from two tough away assignments. 34 different players featured in the matches and that doesn't even include players of the stature of Garry Ringrose, Jamie Heaslip, Johnny Sexton, Jordi Murphy, Mike McCarthy, Richardt Strauss. Rob Kearney and Sean O'Brien. That's pretty impressive squad depth.
For sure. Equally impressive is the ability of the coaches to utilise that squad depth effectively I was very much struck by the ambition and the confidence of a Leinster team minus many of its experienced international squad members. The self-belief and the desire to play with speed seem to be massive. Be interesting to see how we get on, if it turns into an arm wrestle in Lyon. Certainly our fitness levels look sky-high. Hopefully we can keep the ball moving around and wear out that weighty Clermont pack.