Ulster 2015/16

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Ulster 2015/16

Post by cormac »

rooster wrote:
paddyor wrote:
rooster wrote:Playoffs look a step too far for us now as to get past Scarlets we need 1 more match point than they do out of the last few games and I struggle to see where we will get it.
Sign some Saffer backrow to replace the one that's crocked?
They were turned down on that at the start of the season so why would it happen now with only a few games left ?
There'll be a car-boot sale of them down in Thomond on Saturday.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:What's up with Ulster's inability to produce any top notch forwards this last decade? Iain Henderson apart obviously. Is it just down to a lack of local talent or does the issue go much deeper?
Scary part is last one before big Ian was probably Chris Henry

may well have been Rooster who said this before but their sub academy system is essentially wiped out by all the players going away for college, mainly to Scotland

their schools cup system mighnt be as totalitarian as Leinster but youd think theyd have same numbers (of players) as Munster
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
cormac wrote:What's up with Ulster's inability to produce any top notch forwards this last decade? Iain Henderson apart obviously. Is it just down to a lack of local talent or does the issue go much deeper?
Scary part is last one before big Ian was probably Chris Henry

may well have been Rooster who said this before but their sub academy system is essentially wiped out by all the players going away for college, mainly to Scotland

their schools cup system mighnt be as totalitarian as Leinster but youd think theyd have same numbers (of players) as Munster
Most of the schools players don't continue playing after they leave school, the towns ones especially. This has a knock on effect in that our clubs then are not competitive in AIL, Ballymena and Ballynahinch are the 2 in 1b and they are only there with their allocated Ulster Academy players, take a few of them out and they are not competitive at all, eg Ballymena lost their Ulster players day after the Ulster v Leinster A match and Armagh trashed them 34 10, now a 2b club should not be able to stick that sort of score on a 1b club just because they were missing a few players. With the exception of a few clubs up here the local rugby is dying on its feet, the once mighty Belfast Harlequins struggle to find a seconds side and that is reflected throughout the system, a few clubs like Armagh and Banbridge are thriving but in general it is heading down the toilet numbers wise.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Piatau playing like a guy dying from his Friday night but the team dont have enough sober players to bench him
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

He's been terrible. Didn't bother tracking back for Munster's first try.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:He's been terrible. Didn't bother tracking back for Munster's first try.
I dont say this often but he shouldve been subbed in the first half to set an example
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Piutau was a disgrace, you can excuse somebody having a bad game but he acted like he didn't give a toss. He could have easily tracked back after buying POM's dummy if he bothered getting his ass in gear. Attitude stinks and Kiss shield have hauled off way earlier. Don't know if Kiss has the sort of Monday video sessions Schmidt had, if so he will get a roasting. How much moolah is this guy on, supposedly north of 750k!

ThT said, Ulster have only themselves to blame, too many mistakes and they'll struggle for a top 4 slot now. Mind you the hair sprays seem determined to hand their top 4 place to Ulster ir Scarlets, that's 3 on the trot now they've lost
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:He's been terrible. Didn't bother tracking back for Munster's first try.
I dont say this often but he shouldve been subbed in the first half to set an example
A really half-assed performance from him, borderline unprofessional. He can legitimately crib about not getting enough front foot ball, but when you put in a slack performance like that you undermine your own credibility.

Stockdale had a shocker, as did Olding. Luke Marshall played extremely well – as did McCloskey when he came on – and I thought that Trimble and Pienaar did well. Jackson was up and down, but definitely more good than bad.

Their pack needs a huge turnover – obviously Coetzee and Arno Botha are coming in, and there are rumours that Sean Dougal is coming in from Pau, all of which are much needed positives. Two of them are NIE and there are a lot of people ahead of Dougal in the queue for the Irish openside jersey, so that [in theory] gives the province a whole new backrow for the season in one swoop. They need to make an investment in gametime in Lorcan Dow and Nick Timoney, both of whom were good Irish U20 backrows. Reidy is a good player and can be a really useful No7, but he's not in his best position at No8.

If Leinster don't pick Gavin Thornbury up, Ulster could do a hell of a lot worse than bringing him in; I think that he has the size, athleticism and potential to play pro rugby. Schalk van der Merwe is coming in from the Kings as a loosehead, but they need to really push Ross Kane's development over the safe[ish] but limited options of Warwick and Black. Ideally they could bring Niall Annett back; Worcester are f*cking dire, Rory Best misses loads of the season with Ireland and can't go on forever and Herring needs pressure put on his place.

EDIT: They would also do well to alter their strange line on Dominic Ryan! Maybe Jonno Gibbes will have some input there, if there's any joined up thinking. Dippy will be out of contract at the end of season but only 27 years old – a capped international with 112 Leinster appearances, 17 tries and a good few hard-earned medals to his name ... five years younger than Diack and six years younger than Chris Henry.
Last edited by hugonaut on April 16th, 2017, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I'm with others on the views of Ulster. Unlike Munster, I want Ulster to be as strong as possible because it 'll still be behind us - but could be good enough for a European Q/F.

I hope Jonno has become more bolshy in France and gives Les K a kick up the armpit and the same with Charles Piteau. Ulster need to get the finger out, stop defending rubbish or guys with reps and go back to working harder than anybody else. Pray that Hendo doesn't get Lions and decides that his destiny is to improve by hard work not by expecting it to happen. He is a great player gone soft through lack of competition. Stockwell and Olding also. Success is spelt HARD WORK, not handy.

Todays results still give you a chance. Take it.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Personally I think we have ditched the wrong coach up here, should have kept Doak for the backs and Gibbes coming in for the forwards, as far as defence coaching goes Kiss has been abysmal and some of his team combinations have been downright crazy.
Things are pretty grim up here and I don't see any change next season either.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Not under kiss anyways
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Piatau played like a footballer angling for a move away. He does seem to be pining for his days at Wasps. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he and his agent engineer an early exit in the summer to go back there
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I'd say he might be let go too if he keeps playing like that, looks disinterested. Can't imagine the new coaching structure will have much time for him if that's the attitude. Ferris looked ready to get out on the pitch and deck him.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

TerenureJim wrote:I'd say he might be let go too if he keeps playing like that, looks disinterested. Can't imagine the new coaching structure will have much time for him if that's the attitude. Ferris looked ready to get out on the pitch and deck him.
He could be toxic in the dressing room, hes on more money than half the squad put together, so if he half asses it like that in matches but also training it can turn the squad against him and maybe the coach
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:Not under kiss anyways
Kiss is still boss next season, Gibbes head coach and the rookie Peel as backs coach, like you Dave I see no change unless Gibbes really takes over and runs the outfit.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not sure if either or both of these mentioned already but Conor Joyce leaving Ulster for Jersey and Roger Wilson is retiring
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

rooster wrote:
Kiss is still boss next season, Gibbes head coach and the rookie Peel as backs coach, like you Dave I see no change unless Gibbes really takes over and runs the outfit.
Jono G is just the sort of guy to have a straight chat with a fellow Kiwi, he learned from Mr Cheika and has become very good at it.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
rooster wrote:
Jono G is just the sort of guy to have a straight chat with a fellow Kiwi, he learned from Mr Cheika and has become very good at it.
Let's hope them he locks him in a cupboard and doesn't let him near the side then, though we have had a dysfunctional coaching squad for several years now and I don't really want another one, I would put money on Kiss contract not being renewed now and Jono taking over end of next season if not before.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

To be honest it baffles me why Kiss hired Peel as at present he does the backs coaching as he won't let Doake do it anyway.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ulster lucky to be only 10-3 down against the Ospreys approaching half-time

and now they're 17-3 down. abysmal stuff
Look out Itchy, he's Irish