EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by backrower8 »

erskinechilders wrote:Significant swing with Kayser, Zhirikashvili and Vaha all being passed fit and us losing Healy and O'Brien... I'm worried now. Adam Byrne missing out is bizarre for me!
Me too. Surely Adam Byrne for Kirchner or even better starting for McFadden? He would have been the fastest back 3 back by far...Strettle, Abendanon, Spedding, Isa, Joey. Feels like we have bottled it as regards our Wasps game style of play.

Ross Byrne's inclusion is probably a statement of him having had more time at 10 than Joey...or is Jonny 100%?

It really will be a new generation announcing themselves if we win.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Lar wrote:Blimey. There were loads on here who were expressing concern about A Byrne and Carbery being two of the back three in the 1/4 final v Wasps. Byrne's sometimes questionable defensive positioning was also highlighted in the Connacht game last week. Now him being out of the team is a cause of remarks like strange and bizarre. It may be you guys were not ones expressing the concerns but it can't be that strange or bizarre if several on here were worried about his defensive capabilities.

The reason I am concerned about Ross Byrne being on the bench ahead of Adam is that it makes me think that Johnny may still be nursing that shoulder despite three weeks rest and the coaches have a genuine fear he won't last the game. He is undoubtedly going to be targeted and Nigel Owens is not one to blow the marginally late calls.
Byrne is injured apparently.

IMO if you're going with Carbery with 15, then you have to back Byrne too (you don't but should). Anyway cow goes moo as he's injured.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Bit worried about Johnny given that we've got Ross on the bench. Maybe we just don't want to have to move people around if he goes off or maybe we're worried about Joey's physicality in a game like this but still I'm a bit concerned about it.

We're missing some top class players that you'd want for a game like this but the team itself is excellent really.

I'm a bit undecided about the back three and Adam Byrne. I can see why we wouldn't start him and why we'd want Zane on the bench, but it's not the way I'd have gone. Need a big big game from Isa after a couple of poor ones. I'd actually be more worried about him than adam Byrne right now. That said, I expect him to deliver.

I'd also like some proper cover at centre. Not that the centres will change if we can avoid it but they're in for a very tough time physically.

I expect Clermont to finish stronger than us so the question is if we can build enough of a lead to squeak through before that. Certainly think we're capable of it but I reckon Clermont will win by less than 7 in the end.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

wixfjord wrote:One area we can really make hay is footwork.
Having watched Clermont this year, they're much more blunt from deep than they were, and particularly now with Fofana, Naki out, they're even less threat.
They've some big lumbering forwards that, if we can get Leavy, Conan, VDF, Cronin, Ringer, Carbery running at, we could make hay.

That sort of makes Adam Byrne's absence even more strange.
yeah; but we need to get our mitts on the ball and hold it. Big ask for our front 5 vs theirs. Still optimistic though. There's a plan I'm sure :D
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

backrower8 wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:Significant swing with Kayser, Zhirikashvili and Vaha all being passed fit and us losing Healy and O'Brien... I'm worried now. Adam Byrne missing out is bizarre for me!
Me too. Surely Adam Byrne for Kirchner or even better starting for McFadden? He would have been the fastest back 3 back by far...Strettle, Abendanon, Spedding, Isa, Joey. Feels like we have bottled it as regards our Wasps game style of play.

Ross Byrne's inclusion is probably a statement of him having had more time at 10 than Joey...or is Jonny 100%?

It really will be a new generation announcing themselves if we win.
Well Ferg was on for an hour of that game and it didn't hurt us.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lar wrote:Blimey. There were loads on here who were expressing concern about A Byrne and Carbery being two of the back three in the 1/4 final v Wasps. Byrne's sometimes questionable defensive positioning was also highlighted in the Connacht game last week. Now him being out of the team is a cause of remarks like strange and bizarre. It may be you guys were not ones expressing the concerns but it can't be that strange or bizarre if several on here were worried about his defensive capabilities.

The reason I am concerned about Ross Byrne being on the bench ahead of Adam is that it makes me think that Johnny may still be nursing that shoulder despite three weeks rest and the coaches have a genuine fear he won't last the game. He is undoubtedly going to be targeted and Nigel Owens is not one to blow the marginally late calls.
That's false equivalence though.
Him being out of the starting 15 isn't bizarre or strange.
Him being left at home for Ross Byrne and Kirchner to bench, given Sexton and Carbery are both fit and Isa can play 15? Yes that could be seen as strange.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I'd also like some proper cover at centre. Not that the centres will change if we can avoid it but they're in for a very tough time physically.
Probably why Zane has gotten a bit of gametime in the centre (and done reasonably well too) and why he's made the bench today. The guy covers centre, wing and fullback now.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

paddyor wrote:

Byrne is injured apparently.

IMO if you're going with Carbery with 15, then you have to back Byrne too (you don't but should). Anyway cow goes moo as he's injured.
according to the 42; according to Leinster - AByrne not injured.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

To me it looks like that side was selected with the expectation that we'll be doing a lot of defending. Also with the experience we've lost through Healy, SOB, Heaslip it doesn't surprise me to see McFadden and Ruddock preferred to possibly replace that. It's one thing sending the young uns out in front of a packed home stadium but away to Clermont is a far more challenging experience. I could see why some old heads would be preferred in an atmosphere that could be overwhelming especially is Clermont are putting us under the cosh for a period of time.

EDIT wrt to R.Byrne; if something had happened to Sexton during the match and it comes down to a drop goal attempt at the end, who would you prefer kicking it, him or Carbery?
Last edited by ChrisUppy on April 21st, 2017, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Laighin Break wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I'd also like some proper cover at centre. Not that the centres will change if we can avoid it but they're in for a very tough time physically.
Probably why Zane has gotten a bit of gametime in the centre (and done reasonably well too) and why he's made the bench today. The guy covers centre, wing and fullback now.
I'd prefer ROL myself. Given that we have the two tens starting I'd have gone with ROL and Zane on the bench if Zane is seen as being needed.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

So it's off to Lyon for Leinster's fourth semi-final in France in the last eight seasons.

They lost to Toulouse in Toulouse in 2010, beat Clermont in Bordeaux in 2012 and lost to Toulon in Marseilles in 2015. Now it's Clermont again, this time in Lyon. So Leinster have to do it the hard way if they're going to make their first final for five years. They face a massive task in beating Clermont, but not an insurmountable one.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think he's gone with Ruddock for the physicality and leadership. He also played very well vs Connacht. McFadden is obviously a defensive move after A.Byrne's dodgy moments vs Wasps. Very harsh not to put him on the bench though. Also surprised to see R.Byrne ahead of O'Loughlin in the 22 jersey, shows he probably doesn't trust Carberry at 10 in pressure cooker games.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

neiliog93 wrote:I think he's gone with Ruddock for the physicality and leadership. He also played very well vs Connacht. McFadden is obviously a defensive move after A.Byrne's dodgy moments vs Wasps. Very harsh not to put him on the bench though. Also surprised to see R.Byrne ahead of O'Loughlin in the 22 jersey, shows he probably doesn't trust Carberry at 10 in pressure cooker games.
Ross Byrne's star has travelled a very long way since the start of the season when he was #4 OH and rehabbing an injury with eyes on a new club. Hope it continues to rise this weekend...for all our sakes! He has the cojones and has some guys around him he knows since he was a nipper which is no biggie but no harm either.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

not many teams in Europe could cope with being without 7 experienced internationals (4 of whom are lions) but we still have 14 internationals starting and 4 more on the bench. We're more than capable of winning on Sunday - bring it on.....
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

neiliog93 wrote:I think he's gone with Ruddock for the physicality and leadership. He also played very well vs Connacht. McFadden is obviously a defensive move after A.Byrne's dodgy moments vs Wasps. Very harsh not to put him on the bench though. Also surprised to see R.Byrne ahead of O'Loughlin in the 22 jersey, shows he probably doesn't trust Carberry at 10 in pressure cooker games.
Ruddock has had a string of great performances as of late and deserves his start. Wasn't he MOTM in the game against Cardiff, and then unlucky to miss out completely on the Wasps game the following week?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Laighin Break wrote:
Ruddock has had a string of great performances as of late and deserves his start. Wasn't he MOTM in the game against Cardiff, and then unlucky to miss out completely on the Wasps game the following week?
He was out injured for the Wasps match.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ross Byrne on bench makes perfect sense when you consider his and Joey's placekicking. Adam Byrne missing out makes sense when you consider Strettle's try scoring record and the kicking skills of Parra and Lopez.

SO'B the big loss as his carrying would have meant Chouly would worry about defending 10 channel. Losing Cian and Sean reduces our last 20 impact, but this is still a strong team, albeit without real pace.

This is not Clermont of 2012-13-14. Watch their Q/F v Toulon where the same team were ordinary, but effective. Get ahead, take our points, chase our kicks and make every tackle - Leinster by 6-8 pts.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Ross Byrne on bench makes perfect sense when you consider his and Joey's placekicking. Adam Byrne missing out makes sense when you consider Strettle's try scoring record and the kicking skills of Parra and Lopez.

SO'B the big loss as his carrying would have meant Chouly would worry about defending 10 channel. Losing Cian and Sean reduces our last 20 impact, but this is still a strong team, albeit without real pace.

This is not Clermont of 2012-13-14. Watch their Q/F v Toulon where the same team were ordinary, but effective. Get ahead, take our points, chase our kicks and make every tackle - Leinster by 6-8 pts.
+1. If you're going to play Carberry at 15 vs Clermont, then ISA and Ferg covering the wings is the way to go, IMO. They are two guys, who I would want in the trenches with me. Sure, Isa made a couple of mistakes in his last few matches, but the monster hit he put in the first half vs Ospreys, when they were all over us, was the turning of that match to our favour. Big matches need guys, who you can be sure are going to turn up and not get rattled. I reckon that back three is one, that will keep Abendenon et al under wraps. If our forwards can maintain parity, I would hope our 10-12-13 axis, which was able to bed down during the 6 Nations, will guide us to a victory. Na Laighiní abú!!!!!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

McFadden is perfect for this game, hugely experienced, fired up beyond belief and A. Byrne has shown some defensive issues in his last couple of outings, he does seem lost at times in terms of his positioning. Lopez and Parra are good out of hand kickers and would have been made very aware of A. Byrne's limitations there.

Sexton is going to be targeted big time so the Ross Byrne move makes sense and he has shown some real grit in the last couple of games, seems to be moving the backline much better than earlier in the year so if he does come on we'll be fine.

For me this game is all about sticking with them upfront and spraying the ball to Henshaw, Carberry and Ringrose - if they get enough ball they will cut that Clermont backline to pieces a couple of times and that will be that.

I have a feeling Ringrose is gonna cut loose this weekend..............

If not it'll be Cronin running rings around them in the last 15................yes we will miss Healy but Cronin and VDF are two serious impact subs to up the pace in the last quarter.

Come on boys !!!!
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I'm cautiously confident although fully aware of the scale of the task. C'mon Leinster!!!
The odds are good but the goods are odd.