Scrap the Lions?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Re: Scrap the Lions?

Post by LENSTA »

Lar wrote:
LENSTA wrote:11 Irish for the NZ suicide tour. How many won't return or will come back never to be the same again? Best case scenario we only lose two. Worst case we lose five.

The whole thing is a huge non contest. Already know it will be 3 zip. If this one is as big a disaster as the last trip to NZ, it might actually bring an end to the whole jaded pompous gravy train.

Nobody would be more disappointed than NZ/SA/Aus. The Lions is just a surreptitious mechanism to finance our own subjugation.
Potentially a reason why NZ might conceivably lose a test this summer deliberately. If the result is in the balance going into the final test then the Lions will survive and bring lucre to the SH teams for at least the next 12 years.
I can see NZ whipping the Lions in the first two tests and then putting out a youthful experimental side in the third test, in the hope that the Lions will be more competitive. This would lessen questions about the rationale of the whole exercise.
#ScrapTheLions
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Those questions are irrelevant anyway. This is the last tour under the current participation agreement, and the next contract will be massively in the favour of the Four Nations. The last agreement was signed when the game was massively in flux, when no one even knew if International rugby would exist in the near future, never mind touring teams so the agreement favoured the hosts as they were taking the risks. Now that we know that the Lions are the biggest event in Rugby and there are no risks.
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I assume then that future tours would have fewer games? The problem with that is that it means less dosh. On the other hand, if you change it to the same number of games but with longer rest periods in between them, then the tour (which is already too long) gets even worse in that regard. How then do they amend future tours to make them more Lions-friendly?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

dropkick wrote:
Lar wrote:
LENSTA wrote:11 Irish for the NZ suicide tour. How many won't return or will come back never to be the same again? Best case scenario we only lose two. Worst case we lose five.

The whole thing is a huge non contest. Already know it will be 3 zip. If this one is as big a disaster as the last trip to NZ, it might actually bring an end to the whole jaded pompous gravy train.

Nobody would be more disappointed than NZ/SA/Aus. The Lions is just a surreptitious mechanism to finance our own subjugation.
Potentially a reason why NZ might conceivably lose a test this summer deliberately. If the result is in the balance going into the final test then the Lions will survive and bring lucre to the SH teams for at least the next 12 years.

I can imagine someone asking the NZ players or coaches to take it easy on the Lions. They'll go all out to annihilate the Lions by as much as they can.

Its a good money making excercise for the broadcasters and the SH big 3. The home nations get a tired and injured squad the next season and an extended season to look forward to soon because super rugby had to take A break because of an international window. :lol:
France love the Lion's tours.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

neiliog93 wrote:I assume then that future tours would have fewer games? The problem with that is that it means less dosh. On the other hand, if you change it to the same number of games but with longer rest periods in between them, then the tour (which is already too long) gets even worse in that regard. How then do they amend future tours to make them more Lions-friendly?
I think that the assumption that the 4 nations have a problem with the length of the tour is a big one to make without a lot of evidence behind it. The English clubs mightn't be overly fond, but thats about it.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RFU calling for next/future tours to be 8 games not 10, beeb article saying global calender will force shorter tours
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:RFU calling for next/future tours to be 8 games not 10, beeb article saying global calender will force shorter tours

Thats the RFU who are calling for a 5 year qualification period the week before picking Denny Solamona, yeah?

They call for lots of things in public.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:RFU calling for next/future tours to be 8 games not 10, beeb article saying global calender will force shorter tours

Thats the RFU who are calling for a 5 year qualification period the week before picking Denny Solamona, yeah?

Ah DC, that's harsh. England is where his heart is.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Ian Ritchie, as anybody with a grasp of English authority would expect, is a complete and utter hypocrite. His behaviour could be shown as an exemplar of the trait, viz. "behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case."

"Our view will be, and this is subject to further discussion but it's coming up soon, that a five-year qualification is the optimum position to be in. There are other countries who will take a different view, I think, and that's up to them."

source: http://www.newstalk.com/English-RFU-pus ... dency-rule

In this instance, championing and campaigning for the change of a law they 'disagree' with, then proceeding to exploit said law. I don't give a sh*t if they cap DS ... but climb down off your moral Shetland pony, you smug c*nt.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

On the issue of contract renewal, Ireland's negotiators need to be very clear that they own 25% of the franchise and accordingly they want 25% of the action.
Any attempt by PRL to muscle in should be shown the door.
The PRL and the RFU can come to their own arrangement which should be paid out of the RFU's 25%.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Thought Eddie Jones picked the team
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Dave Cahill wrote:Those questions are irrelevant anyway. This is the last tour under the current participation agreement, and the next contract will be massively in the favour of the Four Nations. The last agreement was signed when the game was massively in flux, when no one even knew if International rugby would exist in the near future, never mind touring teams so the agreement favoured the hosts as they were taking the risks. Now that we know that the Lions are the biggest event in Rugby and there are no risks.
I'd like to believe that, but I don't. My prediction is that the hosts will get a better deal than the current one. NZ have a habit of getting what they want, that backed by SA and Oz is pretty compelling. Argentina also now have voting rights and are politically equal to the big 8, they have arrived.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

BlueBlue wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Those questions are irrelevant anyway. This is the last tour under the current participation agreement, and the next contract will be massively in the favour of the Four Nations. The last agreement was signed when the game was massively in flux, when no one even knew if International rugby would exist in the near future, never mind touring teams so the agreement favoured the hosts as they were taking the risks. Now that we know that the Lions are the biggest event in Rugby and there are no risks.
I'd like to believe that, but I don't. My prediction is that the hosts will get a better deal than the current one. NZ have a habit of getting what they want, that backed by SA and Oz is pretty compelling. Argentina also now have voting rights and are politically equal to the big 8, they have arrived.
Maybe the Lions should add Argentina and japan to their schedule - i'm sure the old tri-nations would love that.
A proud Winsome Fluter
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

neiliog93 wrote:I assume then that future tours would have fewer games? The problem with that is that it means less dosh. On the other hand, if you change it to the same number of games but with longer rest periods in between them, then the tour (which is already too long) gets even worse in that regard. How then do they amend future tours to make them more Lions-friendly?
The challenge the Lions have is the one of becoming a team. The lions do not want less time and less games, they want the same amount of games and more time. I believe it has already been agreed that the lions would only have 8 weeks, and as Cafferty from AP said, its up to them how many games they fit in.

Already on this tour, the best Lions players or at least a good number of them will not be heading out with the squad as the AP and Pro12 finals will be played after departure date. Already 50% of the squad in in camp, with the players who have made it to finals being rewarded by being left out. Madness in terms of team building.

I'd say the Lions would be happy with 12 weeks and 9 to 10 games. 2 to 3 weeks to prepare, then fly, then play.

The lions are on record, from the oz tour of saying that the 7 matches leading up to the 1st test were not competitive, and that they need commitments that the 7 teams put out before a test are competitive, not depleted squads.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:
Maybe the Lions should add Argentina and japan to their schedule - i'm sure the old tri-nations would love that.

There is tradition in the lions touring Argentina. But other than playing in the capital, its pretty backward and dangerous. Irelands last tour to Argentina games were in the provinces, they were accompanied full time by an Argentinian special forces unit. Also who would the lions play, there is only 1 super rugby team. Japan is the same, its a joke and any suggestion to tour there would be greeted by laughter.

We see it from our perspective as the lions holding the cards, but the Lions are a none event without somewhere credible to tour. It there is no where to tour, its our tradition and money that is lost. The old Tri-nations hold more of the cards that we give credit for.

Also it seems to me, that the lions, and 4 nations are traditionally reactionary and lack balls, Id question they have any balls at all in fact.
drive for 5
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

BlueBlue wrote:st tour to Argentina games were in the provinces, they were accompanied full time by an Argentinian special forces unit. Also who would the lions play, there is only 1 super rugby team. Japan is the same, its a joke and any suggestion to tour there would be greeted by laughter.

We see it from our perspective as the lions holding the cards, but the Lions are a none event without somewhere credible to tour. It there is no where to tour, its our tradition and money that is lost. The old Tri-nations hold more of the cards that we give credit for.

Also it seems to me, that the lions, and 4 nations are traditionally reactionary and lack balls, Id question they have any balls at all in fact.
Argentina is backward and dangerous? No it ain't.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote:
Organisationally it certainly is backward - touring there, outside of BA, is a bit of a nightmare. For example, venues for matches are often not settled on until the week of the test. Logistically and in terms of broadcasting this makes touring there very unattractive.
I have Bumbleflex
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

hugonaut wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:st tour to Argentina games were in the provinces, they were accompanied full time by an Argentinian special forces unit. Also who would the lions play, there is only 1 super rugby team. Japan is the same, its a joke and any suggestion to tour there would be greeted by laughter.

Ask Jeremy Clarkson

this is mostly a joke and I fully accept there were particular 'English' reasons for what happened but they could theoretically be repeated for a Lions tour
Four Stars
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

BlueBlue wrote:
Could they not get Gilbert as a sponsor?
Four Stars
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Lar wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Ask Jeremy Clarkson

this is mostly a joke and I fully accept there were particular 'English' reasons for what happened but they could theoretically be repeated for a Lions tour

Argentina is a lot safer than South Africa, massively safer, if you look at murder rate stats. I visited Argentina, admittedly before their recent economic turmoil, and I didn't find it dangerous or backward. I would happily go back again.

Anyone want to walk back to the hotel from the nightclub in Jo'burg????

#ScrapTheLions