Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

Post by simonokeeffe »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:Kid'nMe certainly backed the wrong horse in Mushy. In fairness, at that time mobile 6'5 tightheads were all the rage (e.g. Andrew Sheridan). The fact these behemoths couldn't scrummage only became an issue with the arrival of the ELVs.

'Yo' Be One Kid'n'Nobodi has made the same mistake in casting off Ryan in favour of Toner.

Ultimately, both men will be haunted by these fateful decisions and like the Emperor Ausgustus will wake in fright some day to cry out:

"Quintili Vare, legiones redde!"
It's like you're the Munster version of Oldschool.
He doesnt know Sheridan was a loosehead either? :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If anybody didn't understand just how good Ross is, watch his absolute schooling of Denis Buckley in Galway this evening

I was sorry for Buckley who has been an under-rated operator these past two seasons, but Mike chose this evening to give Leo a reminder, and anybody else watching, a serious demonstration of the significance of a great THP. He totally milled Buckley as the Leinster scrum knocked Connacht backwards at every scrum in a manner that hasn't happened in two Seasons.

Well done Mike. Message delivered. Now let's see who receives it.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:If anybody didn't understand just how good Ross is, watch his absolute schooling of Denis Buckley in Galway this evening

I was sorry for Buckley who has been an under-rated operator these past two seasons, but Mike chose this evening to give Leo a reminder, and anybody else watching, a serious demonstration of the significance of a great THP. He totally milled Buckley as the Leinster scrum knocked Connacht backwards at every scrum in a manner that hasn't happened in two Seasons.

Well done Mike. Message delivered. Now let's see who receives it.
+1. Was amazing alright!!!!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Whether he stays with us, heads to another province or calls it a day, after last night, it'll be on his own terms. Great stuff from Iron Mike :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

We should start a petition to make them keep him on. Crazy to let him go. It's unbelievable that he might go to another club.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:Kid'nMe certainly backed the wrong horse in Mushy. In fairness, at that time mobile 6'5 tightheads were all the rage (e.g. Andrew Sheridan). The fact these behemoths couldn't scrummage only became an issue with the arrival of the ELVs.

'Yo' Be One Kid'n'Nobodi has made the same mistake in casting off Ryan in favour of Toner.

Ultimately, both men will be haunted by these fateful decisions and like the Emperor Ausgustus will wake in fright some day to cry out:

It's like you're the Munster version of Oldschool.
Leave sleeping dogs lie! Yawn! :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Ross was great last night. I'd dread for us to let him go and have to face him as a player- or even a coach next season. He still has it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cant remember the last time he was better in the loose than last night, especially given the type of game played
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Scrum schmum.
What about that quarterback pass from the back of the hut?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:Scrum schmum.
What about that quarterback pass from the back of the hut?
was about 60 yards of memory serves

Bent went for a Ross esque gallop too in a beautiful passing of the flame moment
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

It's you George, isn't it? How's the lovely Ingrid
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I wonder is Lancaster the main instigator of Ross not being offered a new deal? He's known for a sort of 'out with the old, in with the new' approach to squad management. I'm not a fan of ageism in rugby, and I think it could be a mistake to let Ross go. If Furlong or Bent picked up a long-term injury next season, Loughman, Heffernan and Porter would have to be called on extensively. These guys are progressing well but why take the risk? Give Mike another year. He deserves it, and it seems to me that it would be what's best for Leinster
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ross might have been offered a deal and might not like the salary.

I'd be glad to have him next season but not at any price and the coaching staff should be mindful of the risks that his body won't be able for it. It gets delayed with props and progresses slowly but then can happen relatively suddenly.

He might have offers from a few clubs that would like to have him come off the bench and rarely start. This might prolong his career, I don't see Leinster wanting to use him this way even though it would make a difference to squad depth.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Cianostays wrote:I think he'd be best utillised as an IRFU scrum guru who should work with all the acadamey props in the provinces.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
This. I'd love to see him transition next season from a reduced Leinster contract with PT role as national U20, U19, U18 scrum coach to a full time national underage scrum coach the following season.
He's only got 8 years of pro rugby in Ireland built up. it would make sense for him to play another season or 2 to maximise his 10 year tax refund.
Even if he only made a handful of starts next season it would still be great to have his experience about. Furlong will be coming off a lions tour so we can expect him to have a slow introduction next season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

He is retiring and not going into coaching.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Thanks for everything Rossy, best of luck with your retirement.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

mildlyinterested wrote:He is retiring and not going into coaching.
Can't say I'd blame him - working in technology will pay better than coaching!

It's a shame to see him retire but after all he's done for Leinster and Ireland I cannot begrudge him in any way.

All the best Mike, so long, and thanks for doing all of your (often unappreciated) hard work over the years.
Anyone But New Zealand
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Players like Mike Ross are so hard to come by. Talented, hard working, studious and incredibly humble. A huge addition to any team he's been on.

All the best for the future Rossy.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

A quiet yet so effective hero, who rarely got the credit he deserved.

Thanks Mike.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Did great for us

We can never say never on him coaching, not for a while yet