Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Mike Ross Appreciation Thread!

Post by fourthirtythree »

This man was the rock that three European Cups, a couple of 6 Nations championships, Pro 12/Celtic/Magners, and that other European thing were built on.

Less lauded, less appreciated by the Irish public at large, more successful, more decorated, less "sung" than winners of "unsung hero" awards. It's a shame to see him retire right when he had worked his step and sprint into a lethal attacking weapon, though he leaves an understudy in full bloom (and copying his patented step).

If he says he's not coaching, he's not coaching. I join everyone here in wishing him every success in his future endeavours, a real hero of Irish and Leinster rugby.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

An absolute gent who made our scrum both rock solid and a weapon for many many years. I wonder how many points we scored off his scrums? Fair to say he's not the most athletic player we've ever had and yet his defensive work was top notch until his legs started to go. Also provided one of my all time favourite Leinster moments with THAT scrum against Northampton.

I can say it now but when I heard he was retiring a few weeks back I was told that he had no interest in coaching and the impression I got was that Leinster wanted him to but he didn't. May be wrong about that but I hope they keep trying to get him involved, maybe even on a consultancy basis.

Thanks for everything Mike and you'll be missed :happy clapper:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:An absolute gent who made our scrum both rock solid and a weapon for many many years. I wonder how many points we scored off his scrums? Fair to say he's not the most athletic player we've ever had and yet his defensive work was top notch until his legs started to go. Also provided one of my all time favourite Leinster moments with THAT scrum against Northampton.

I can say it now but when I heard he was retiring a few weeks back I was told that he had no interest in coaching and the impression I got was that Leinster wanted him to but he didn't. May be wrong about that but I hope they keep trying to get him involved, maybe even on a consultancy basis.

Thanks for everything Mike and you'll be missed :happy clapper:
Éist! Éist!!! :clap:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The official statement with details on MIke's new career and some killer snaps:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mike-ross-t ... d=16LG7568
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

[quote="fourthirtythree"]This man was the rock that three European Cups, a couple of 6 Nations championships, Pro 12/Celtic/Magners, and that other European thing were built on.

Less lauded, less appreciated by the Irish public at large, more successful, more decorated, less "sung" than winners of "unsung hero" awards. It's a shame to see him retire right when he had worked his step and sprint into a lethal attacking weapon, though he leaves an understudy in full bloom (and copying his patented step).

If he says he's not coaching, he's not coaching. I join everyone here in wishing him every success in his future endeavours, a real hero of Irish and Leinster rugby.[/quote]

Mike joined us in 2009/2010 season so he only played in last 2 European cups but we wouldn't have won them without him..
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think 433 was giving him credit for when we win it next season.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oh yeah! That's what I was doing alright! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

"I still hope to be involved in rugby in some capacity"

The glimmer of hope
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

A great player for us and definitely a candidate for "the best IQ" signing.

Fashions in props have waxed and waned over the professional era- as laws changed, ELVs were trialled etc. were adopted, but I wonder is Mike one of the last of the pure breed; i.e. He scrummed excellently and that was his most obvious contribution to the team?

In any case, I regret that he has not opted for coaching, but am relived that this means we won't have to face him tutoring another side to destroy our scrum.

Best of luck Mike to you and your family. Thanks for all your efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Mike Ross on Off The Ball on Newstalk at 7 30pm tonight
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Difficult to give Mike Ross enough praise for his efforts for Leinster and Ireland. An absolute rock on the tighthead side and one of the best scrummagers in the world for a good few years. Didn't look for attention, worked bloody hard, and was a very intelligent and astute rugby player. Great career and thanks a million Rossy!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

What a super player for us. I'll miss him but I'm always happy to see someone finish in their own terms at their main club.

He earned everything he got and had to fight all the way. No one ever game him a free pass.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Hard to imagine the last few seasons without Mike, been the security blanket for our scrum for what seems ages and will go down as one of the most important parts of the team during our golden patch when the stars were flying in !!

Thanks a million Rossy and onwards and upwards !!
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I loved how he would get up after a big scrum, the opposition would be scratching their heads thinking we are meant to be winning these scrums and Mike Ross would just be dusting himself down. No histrionics, yapping, playing to the gallery, high fiving, fist pumping or gloating. Maybe a grimace and on to the next one. He had a disdain for cheating in the scrum himself, which is impossible not to respect. There were tough days he could have dodged by doing so, short term victories he might have easier won, but he never shirked a tough day. And he did it with class. I'm not sure he should be retiring, there is another season in him for my money, if not more, but the timing is working against him and he probably doesn't want to start over somewhere else. He'll be missed.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Wow what to say. The man was rock for us to build so much on. Memories are many but his try v wasps in '13 and the dismantling of the Northampton scrum will live long. Let's not forget that if it wasn't for P Try 2 seasons ago we'd have lost a lot of games. Thanks Mike.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Sterling performer. His class this season in playing so well even after being dropped show his character.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

MIKE ROSS!!!! (One for the terrace heads).

Thanks a million Mike for your ablilty on the pitch and your decency off it in mentoring your replacement. For a man with a handful of senior rugby caps in your twenties you made a remarkable career for yourself.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Fan with smartphone wrote:I loved how he would get up after a big scrum, the opposition would be scratching their heads thinking we are meant to be winning these scrums and Mike Ross would just be dusting himself down. No histrionics, yapping, playing to the gallery, high fiving, fist pumping or gloating. Maybe a grimace and on to the next one. He had a disdain for cheating in the scrum himself, which is impossible not to respect. There were tough days he could have dodged by doing so, short term victories he might have easier won, but he never shirked a tough day. And he did it with class. I'm not sure he should be retiring, there is another season in him for my money, if not more, but the timing is working against him and he probably doesn't want to start over somewhere else. He'll be missed.
+1, +1.
Clearly written by a knowlegible fan who understands front-row play and the dedication required to survive and prosper.

When Mike joined Leinster he had grown in expertise from a late-developing rookie in Munster to an experienced, expert, prop with Harlequins. We had seen players like Stan Wright, CJ Van Der Linde and Will Green, three NIQ players and Ronnie McCormack occupy the tight head role with varying degrees of success. When Mike arrived he rapidly stabilised our scrum and then developed our scrum into a weapon which served our quest for trophies. He then brought the same level of excellence and eventually confidence to the Irish Squad - in succession to John Hayes.

Best wishes to Mike, Kimberly, Kevin and Chloe. Enjoy the alternate lifestyle away from the "bubble", but hold onto the real appreciation of all your efforts and scrum intellect which is the abiding memory of all Leinster fans.

Go well with the next phase of your life.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Hope Leinster can still call on him on a consultancy basis if required. :)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:Hope Leinster can still call on him on a consultancy basis if required. :)
Yeah, like mid match.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan