Concussion

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Concussion

Post by ronk »

simonokeeffe wrote:tbf that looked dubious as he had just complained about a back injury
My understanding is they could have replaced him anyway if he's a front row.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Article in the indo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/e ... 41850.html

Ben Marshall passed a HIA on the concussion, his first, that ended his career.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Hopefully the fact that "59% of current players in Irish Rugby admitted that they are concerned about the long-term effects that concussion may have on their health" will mean that players at the top level might stop setting low baseline scores in pre-season testing so that they can pass assessments.

At grassroots level, from personal experience, attitudes to concussions are a mixed bag. Some refs are very on the ball with regards to possible head injuries, some joke about them. I myself was pulled straight off after a head knock at the weekend despite my protestations, but I've seen players being put under pressure by teammates to play on despite clearly struggling with a head injury.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

ronk wrote:Article in the indo

Slightly disingenuous that. It was his first diagnosed concussion injury.

Very difficult to say he had/had not sustained previous concussive injuries that weren't detected/diagnosed.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morf wrote:

Very difficult to say he had/had not sustained previous concussive injuries that weren't detected/diagnosed.
or reported (by the player)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

HIAs only rule in *some* concussions. They don't rule them out. As this is an example of this worrisome fact it's a bit odd to focus on the player or reporter being disingenuous: this was his first known concussion (as far as we know, and we have no reason to believe that the player or reporter know otherwise); he passed a HIA; he had to retire due to concussion.

That is, in my opinion, a more salient presentation of the facts rather than attacking the messengers.

There is a reason that BOD's uncle railed against the HIAs and left: it wasn't because players and journalists were lying.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It shows the limitations of one of the tests, something they're upfront about. The HIA was, I think testing whether he was recovered after he was otherwise free of symptoms. Article is unclear about a few things.

A few years ago Marshall would have played after a 3 week break. That this step was taken shows the progress that's been made and how seriously it's being taken.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Morf wrote:

or reported (by the player)
I'm not suggesting that Marshall was lying by the way or journalists/medical staff for that matter.

What I'm getting around to in a very roundabout way is that diagnosis is still a lot of (educated) guesswork even employing MRI/etc as brain dissection seems to be still the best manner to observe damage sustained.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Didnt think you were

Was a general statement/problem
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

No problem, mate.

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

8)
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

This is a bit worrying. Bits in red really stands out.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/39715906

Ashton Hewitt: Dragons boss Kingsley Jones worries for wing's future amid concussion concern

Newport Gwent Dragons head coach Kingsley Jones has admitted he fears promising wing Ashton Hewitt's career could be threatened by concussion.

Hewitt has not played since Dragons hosted Ospreys on 1 January, 2017.

Jones says the 22-year-old is training regularly, but is unable to "back it up" by playing.

"He wakes up with a slight headache after a bit of training. It's not that he's in pain I don't think but he has to be symptom free," said Jones.

"And it can take a while, can't it?"

In May, 2015 Dragons centre Ashley Smith was forced into retirement after "a series of concussive events".

In September, 2016, wing Matthew Pewtner was also forced to quit because of a head injury.

When asked if Hewitt's career could be under threat, Jones referred to the experience of another Dragons back, Adam Hughes, who returned to the fray after a long absence this season.

Jones said: "I've been asked is it the end of careers - who knows?

"I mean we've seen Adam Hughes, he's come back and lots of other players have, but it's a sensitive situation and it has to be right.

"So we've got to make sure that he's 100% comfortable and feeling great."

Hewitt was named in Wales' 2017 Six Nations squad after impressing for Dragons, but having been absent for four months, he is unlikely to be considered for a summer tour in which they play Samoa and Tonga.

Jones is more concerned that Hewitt returns only when passed fit.

He said: "We have to make sure players are correct, but some players go through the tests and pass them and then they still have symptoms which means headaches and stuff after physical training.

"So, all we can do is wait until that player is symptom-free."
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!