Isa Nacewa officially named club captain 2016/2017

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

carlow man
Enlightened

Re: Isa Nacewa officially named club captain 2016/2017

Post by carlow man »

U seriously think keeping Kirchner was better than giving kelleher a chance? Think u might be on your own there.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Byrne was also only 21 at the start of last season and had international wingers ahead of him. The question on a guy like Kelleher is whether he is better than the options available? Tend to think not at the moment, Lowe arriving next season and the academy still producing talent like Larmour.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

carlow man wrote:U seriously think keeping Kirchner was better than giving kelleher a chance? Think u might be on your own there.
Well, no, I'm not, we know that for certain. And I'm certain that it was the right call - coaches will always prefer one Kirchner to 100 Kellehers

He's a very talented player, but there's more to being a top level pro than talent.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I'm a big fan of Kellehers. Always have been and wished we'd taken a chance on him. I've watched him closely at Conn to see how he'd fair and as far as I can see he's pretty much the same player he was here. He can be electric with the ball in hand, a lethal finisher, but he's also a poor defender, both position-ally and in tackling (think Adam Byrne, only worse).

The thing is, there is a tendency for teams (and supporters) at the moment to ignore poor defence in the back three as long as they are banging in the tries. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it is a thing, and when it comes to the top two inches, against the best teams it usually comes back to bite ye. I think Leo and Stuart L know this and that's why Adam Byrne didn't start last Sunday.

Having said all that I would have liked CK to stay and see if we could fix his defensive issues. If he does, he'll be some player.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:
carlow man wrote:U seriously think keeping Kirchner was better than giving kelleher a chance? Think u might be on your own there.
Well, no, I'm not, we know that for certain. And I'm certain that it was the right call - coaches will always prefer one Kirchner to 100 Kellehers

He's a very talented player, but there's more to being a top level pro than talent.
Yep, positive attitude and Isa spelled out that Kirch has been fantastic as a leader.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Yep, positive attitude and Isa spelled out that Kirch has been fantastic as a leader.
shame his leadership skills don't match his rugby playing skills.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

No its ok. Dave has told us his is certainly right and we should listen to him! Kirchner has proved to be the wrong choice when they chose to extend his deal and tell one of our own wingers that he's a better player. He's not. Kirchner has had 2 very poor seasons and the fact that only the dragons offered him a deal tells it's own story.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

plus, not a tw@t.
I have Bumbleflex
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Know him personally do u?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

carlow man wrote:Know him personally do u?
No but know a lot of coaches who dealt with him.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Ok. Not sure that's a great reason not to pick a guy if hrs a bit of a gobshite. I'll take a gobshite who scores tries over a nice guy who doesn't. Had high hopes for Kirchner but turned out to big a big disappointment. Hasn't really nailed down any position and sd never have been on the bench at the weekend.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What frustrates me about Kelleher is that he's had basic flaws in his game since school but has done very little about them. Been very inconsistent for Connacht from what I've seen. Started poorly and then hit some great form in attack but would still make mistakes. I think he could be a a brilliant player (wouldn't have said that a couple of years ago) but don't want him back here. We have plenty of talent here now and don't think we need to clog up the back three.

The difference between our back three options next September and 18 months previous to that will be incredible.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeinsterLeader wrote:I'm a big fan of Kellehers. Always have been and wished we'd taken a chance on him. I've watched him closely at Conn to see how he'd fair and as far as I can see he's pretty much the same player he was here. He can be electric with the ball in hand, a lethal finisher, but he's also a poor defender, both position-ally and in tackling (think Adam Byrne, only worse).

The thing is, there is a tendency for teams (and supporters) at the moment to ignore poor defence in the back three as long as they are banging in the tries. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it is a thing, and when it comes to the top two inches, against the best teams it usually comes back to bite ye. I think Leo and Stuart L know this and that's why Adam Byrne didn't start last Sunday.

Having said all that I would have liked CK to stay and see if we could fix his defensive issues. If he does, he'll be some player.
The defence thing is both good and bad.
It's bad that the issue exists but it's a good test of the players' ability to properly address the problem.
If a player with the help of the coaches can't fix or at least seriously improve the issue then he doesn't have what it takes to get to the top level.
Lancaster and Byrne should be working overtime on his main issue, which is coming in off his wing.
It would also be great to see him on the Japanese tour because a word in his ear (has probably already happened) from Joe could spur him on.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

the spoofer wrote:
carlow man wrote:Know him personally do u?
No but know a lot of coaches who dealt with him.
Spoofer :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

carlow man wrote:Ok. Not sure that's a great reason not to pick a guy if hrs a bit of a gobshite. I'll take a gobshite who scores tries over a nice guy who doesn't. Had high hopes for Kirchner but turned out to big a big disappointment. Hasn't really nailed down any position and sd never have been on the bench at the weekend.
Would certainly disagree with that viewpoint. If a player is a "bit of a gobshite" and doesn't work on his weaknesses with coaching staff, his influence becomes corrosive and any successful Coach knows its time to move him on.

Sarries and Jones both understand that Ashton has a lot of football talent and scores lots of tries, but neither want to retain him in Squads. (And no, I don't know him personally but do know Coaches who have worked with him previously).