Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by Logorrhea »

simonokeeffe wrote:Aki up on misconduct charge for abuse the ref during and after the game against us
Happy to hear that. He was way out of line and went way overboard. I dont care how badly you think things are going, you dont disrespect the ref in the manner that he did.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Big moment of truth facing Connacht: do they stand behind their seemingly unsettled star player or do they risk alienating him by supporting a core value of the game, respect for the ref? Presumably the fear of a Hartleyesque ban messing up their European Cup play-off chances will result in them defending the indefensible. A sad but inevitable downside of professional sport
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Logorrhea wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Aki up on misconduct charge for abuse the ref during and after the game against us
Happy to hear that. He was way out of line and went way overboard. I dont care how badly you think things are going, you dont disrespect the ref in the manner that he did.
What exactly did he say?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think Muldoon bears some of the blame for this: he didn't tell Aki to shut the f%~k up and in effect egged him on by saying "I agree with him" rather than telling his player to shut up and then bringing his position to the ref. It's not like the ref wasn't available to listen and was disrespecting the players (a la Wayne Barnes somtiemes). And the ref should have carded him rather than offering three(?) warnings about his behaviour.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:I think Muldoon bears some of the blame for this: he didn't tell Aki to shut the f%~k up and in effect egged him on by saying "I agree with him" rather than telling his player to shut up and then bringing his position to the ref. It's not like the ref wasn't available to listen and was disrespecting the players (a la Wayne Barnes somtiemes). And the ref should have carded him rather than offering three(?) warnings about his behaviour.
My impression of "I agree with him" was that the ref was telling Aki not to speak to him like 'that'.
Muldoon came and pulled/pushed Aki away and said "I agree with him" meaning shut the f^ck up and don't get yourself sent off.
Just another take on it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschool wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I think Muldoon bears some of the blame for this: he didn't tell Aki to shut the f%~k up and in effect egged him on by saying "I agree with him" rather than telling his player to shut up and then bringing his position to the ref. It's not like the ref wasn't available to listen and was disrespecting the players (a la Wayne Barnes somtiemes). And the ref should have carded him rather than offering three(?) warnings about his behaviour.
My impression of "I agree with him" was that the ref was telling Aki not to speak to him like 'that'.
Muldoon came and pulled/pushed Aki away and said "I agree with him" meaning shut the f^ck up and don't get yourself sent off.
Just another take on it.
Think you're being very generous to Muldoon. It seemed pretty clear that he was agreeing with Aki.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I thought that was good ref management from Muldoon who is excellent in that area - by saying what he said, "to be honest, I agree with him", the way he said it and in the tone he used I thought he disarmed the situation nicely. He was basically saying "Yes Bundee is a busy b*%&!x, but I'm the hugely respected and admired John Muldoon that you really like so if I'm saying that something is wrong you won't mind so much because liked, respected, etc".
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

cormac wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Just another take on it.
Think you're being very generous to Muldoon. It seemed pretty clear that he was agreeing with Aki.
My generosity of spirit is legendary. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
I thought that was good ref management from Muldoon who is excellent in that area - by saying what he said, "to be honest, I agree with him", the way he said it and in the tone he used I thought he disarmed the situation nicely. He was basically saying "Yes Bundee is a busy b*%&!x, but I'm the hugely respected and admired John Muldoon that you really like so if I'm saying that something is wrong you won't mind so much because liked, respected, etc".
I was about to post Muldoon is not great at dealing with refs! From what Ive seen hes too shouty and tempermental with them
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

3 match ban for Aki - able to play again from May 22
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

3 match ban where a yellow card was called for.

I'm not defending Ali, but i definitely think it was badly handled.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote:
IIRC (and I often don't) the ref had already asked Muldoon to have a word with his team about backchat, he was this time calling out Aki for being over the top. Muldoon should have told Aki to STFU right then, shown he was a good boy, and then sought a word about their issues.

I agree a yellow would have been appropriate, but it would have been the correct decision but he kept at it after he should have got a card. And at it...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Danie Poolman, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Rory Parata, Shane O’Leary, Lewis Stevenson, Rory Moloney, Josh Rowland and Ivan Soroka leaving #Connacht. Loughneys retirement confirmed

Surprised at Stevenson, doesnt have the ball skills admittedly they like in a lock
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't think a yellow would have been sufficient, fully deserves the ban IMO. I don't mind a bit of back chat tbh, but he crossed the line and walking off on the ref was particularly bad.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I can't speak for anyone else but I meant a yellow during the match, relatively early, would have dealt with it and probably shut him up. Not that I'd a problem with a ban for the persistent behaviour.

His captain and the ref indulging him did Connacht no favours in the end.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I don't know what he said after the match, but anything during the match was dealt with by the referee, whether it was satisfactory or not, and isn't relevant as anything other than evidence that the player was in an agitated state.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

All change at Connacht. Feel sorry for Soroka who didn't get a chance to impress at all due to injury.

http://www.the42.ie/loughney-fox-matamu ... 1-Apr2017/
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
You are spot on about Muldoon's intervention, It gave enough doubt to Davis to keep the card in his pocket. I think the whole issue would have slipped only for whatever Bundee Aki did after the final whistle.

Last season he was great, but connacht just about managed when he was injured. I hope they can make to and through the euro play offs
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Connacht have been a shambles so far.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Bonus point try conceded after half an hour...dreadful.