Ulster v Leinster Saturday 5.15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Ulster v Leinster Saturday 5.15

Post by wixfjord »

Last regular league of the season, and it's the least important of the season too.
Ulster are awful at the moment, and our main decision is whether to send up a few guys who need game time or just go complete A side.
I think Ulster might want to put on a bit of a performance, so could be a good blowout for a few guys.

I'd go something like:
Healy, Cronin, Bent, Molony, Triggs, Ruddock, VDF, Timmins, JGP, Carbery, Isa, Reid, ROL, A Byrne, ZK
Dooley, Tracy, Ross, Nagle, Conan, McGrath, R. Byrne, Ferg

Don't think there's much need to throw in any of our starting internationals. The likes of Isa, Healy, Cronin could do with a bit of gametime, and Conan likewise.

I'd back that side to have enough to win in Ulster.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster v Leinster Saturday 5.15

Post by simonokeeffe »

if we dont play the internationals theyll have had a month off before the league semi which is too long IMO

Only calls then for me are Byrne v McFadden at 14 and who (is fit and) plays in backrow with JVDF and Ruddock (I'd rest Leavy)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:if we dont play the internationals theyll have had a month off before the league semi which is too long IMO

Only calls then for me are Byrne v McFadden at 14 and who (is fit and) plays in backrow with JVDF and Ruddock (I'd rest Leavy)
That is true, forgot there was a week free in between.
Still, I don't think playing the likes of Sexton, Furlong, Toner, Henshaw etc in Belfast is worth the risk.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Best thing for us up here would be send up strongest side possible and beat us out through the gate, mind you your 3rd's will probably suffice.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'd say Gatty might want some of our lions rested. Otherwise why not send the best we've got?

No word on Heaslip which could mean he is out for the season or that he is in some mad stargatelike sarcophagus recuperating for a late lions push.

We can pick a team based on whatever we need in terms of gametime, momentum building, rest, combinations building etc.

No need to win this game but no harm in winning it either. And we can't even do Ulster a favour as they are fairly nailed on for 5th no matter what happens in this game
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

johng wrote:I'd say Gatty might want some of our lions rested. Otherwise why not send the best we've got?

No word on Heaslip which could mean he is out for the season or that he is in some mad stargatelike sarcophagus recuperating for a late lions push.

We can pick a team based on whatever we need in terms of gametime, momentum building, rest, combinations building etc.

No need to win this game but no harm in winning it either. And we can't even do Ulster a favour as they are fairly nailed on for 5th no matter what happens in this game
Whatever about Schmidt having an influence on players playing/rested, I'd say the coaches don't care one but what Gatty wants.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

they would be told to care
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:I'd say Gatty might want some of our lions rested. Otherwise why not send the best we've got?
Gatty can go and f%~k himself. Lions has absolutely no relevance to Leinster and nor should it ever have.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Donny B. wrote:
Gatty can go and f%~k himself. Lions has absolutely no relevance to Leinster and nor should it ever have.
If they play as badly as our 2 yesterday you would be better putting them on gardening leave for the rest of the season
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Leo pretty much said, as far as Leinster ever say about injuries, that they are out for the season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
Leinster is owned by one of the 4 unions that donates players to the lions......
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Not sure I'd say Ulster are awful, they seem to be missing the magic formula, as Trimble put it, but they're not that far away imo. They just don't look hungry enough, they've got huge talent in that squad. I'd give the young guns another chance for the experience, and rest the Lions against them.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe not, they certainly created enough chances yesterday. But it does feel like they have serious issues there and can't wait for the season to end as opposed to can't wait for next week where they can show everyone how good they are. I think the only thing that might save them is giving Pienaar a great send off but he went off injured yesterday so no guarantee he'll even play.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Experimental wrote:Not sure I'd say Ulster are awful, they seem to be missing the magic formula, as Trimble put it, but they're not that far away imo. They just don't look hungry enough, they've got huge talent in that squad. I'd give the young guns another chance for the experience, and rest the Lions against them.
True. I'm expecting Jonno Gibbs to work wonders on their intensity. Him, and a more hand-on Les Kiss could turn them from nearly men to contenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I'd say Gatty wouldn't express an opinion for fear he'd be told to f^ck off and rightly so.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

artaneboy wrote:
Experimental wrote:Not sure I'd say Ulster are awful, they seem to be missing the magic formula, as Trimble put it, but they're not that far away imo. They just don't look hungry enough, they've got huge talent in that squad. I'd give the young guns another chance for the experience, and rest the Lions against them.
True. I'm expecting Jonno Gibbs to work wonders on their intensity. Him, and a more hand-on Les Kiss could turn them from nearly men to contenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errr, Kiss has been the hands on coach this past season and a half, he doesn't do anything else
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

This must be the third or fourth time over the last five or six seasons where Ulster have looked forward to a new coach coming in to turn things around and it hasn't got them anywhere. What can Gibbes do differently to the rest?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hey. I'm not a big fan of the Lions either. I don't like the concept of Gatty telling us who to rest any more than the next man. The reality is though the 4 unions make a lump of cash out of it.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

nc6000 wrote:This must be the third or fourth time over the last five or six seasons where Ulster have looked forward to a new coach coming in to turn things around and it hasn't got them anywhere. What can Gibbes do differently to the rest?
No idea but he certainly can't be any worse than Kiss, just wish they had let Gibbes pick his own backs coach and not just hand him Peel whether he thinks he will be any good or not.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

johng wrote:they would be told to care
I don't think so. The player management system is in place so that Ireland perform optimally – that's Nucifora and Schmidt's concern. It's their job. How the Lions perform is not on their radar.

The British press [especially the English and the Welsh] are really pushing Gatland as the capo di tutti capi of NH rugby at the moment with everyone rowing in behind him but, like so much of the coverage of the Lions, it's a mix between hype, nostalgia and wish-fulfilment.

From what I know about Nucifora, I can't imagine that he particularly gives a sh*t how Gatland or the Lions do, because there's nothing in it for him. Schmidt wouldn't and won't entertain any interference from the Welsh coach in how any Irish side is selected. As he regularly says himself, he has far less influence in how provincial teams are selected than some people think, and he's the national coach – he's hardly going to step in on Gatland's behalf, when the latter has no interest in benefitting Irish rugby.

There may be a few bigwigs left in the IRFU who would put the performance of the Lions over the performance of the provinces at the business end of the season, but the decision on who plays or who doesn't play is entirely out of their hands.