Leinster vs Glasgow - Friday 28th April - We go again

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster vs Glasgow - Friday 28th April - We go again

Post by wixfjord »

Strange half of rugby! We've been fairly outplayed and yet we're more than two tries ahead. Lots of good stuff mixed with some fairly bad stuff.
McCarthy, Byrne and Daly all look just a wee bit slow, but have worked their way around and will come on a huge amount for that half.

Molony is hitting a good run of form, and Dooley playing well again.

Interesting how much we're using Kirchner as a second playmaker. He's doing well.

Oh, and Noel Reid's passing again. Top notch despite only being on for a few mins.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Why did we take the quick tap and go from that second scrum penalty? Surely yo go again. Daft
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

This TMO is useless
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Someone forgot to pay their electricity bill.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Jack McGrath is never allowed to kick the ball again :shock:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Has Leinster ever been on Question of Sport's 'What Happened Next'? Maybe Felipe's kick in The Sportsground? This one has to go in there.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

10mins in and I was expecting a cricket score fair play for the other 15 guys that came out in the 2nd half wearing Glasgow jerseys played a much tighter game.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wouldn't mind seeing Fusaro cited for almost lethal (slow) stamp on Kearney's ankle / shin at ruck on 46 mins. Very deliberate and could have been season ending. A real throwback in behaviour which the game can do without.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Perhaps will change my mind after watching again. But some complete headscrachers from the officials.

Tip tackle? Really? Use your common sense and look at the hips and not the legs.

Penalty for a fair contest in the air was wrong. Glasgow can feel hard done by. Similar to isa last week. Just because a player falls after they jump doesn't mean foul play has taken place.

The yellow for the no arms was insanely harsh. And they were doing it all game. Why call one and give a soft yellow.

That tackle on JGP when he was almost in was as high as they get, if that was spotted are you looking at a penalty try??

Special mention mention for Finn Russell's ankle tap on ROL. That was stringer-esqe.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Where was the glow in the dark away kit when we needed it ? :)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

A perfectly normal game up until Glasgow started their comeback and then it went bananas :lol: They take the lead, our 21 year old ten is called upon for his experience to put us ahead, then we have floodlight failure after repelling an attack when a score looked inevitable, and then finally Jack commits what can only be described as a heinous act with a rugby ball :lol:

Great to watch and we played some great stuff. It was never going to be perfect given the selection and the short turnaround from Sunday, plus we had Conan withdrawing and then another injury in the back row early on. All things considered I think that's a brilliant performance. I love that it doesn't matter who we put out these days, everyone looks eager to play the same way and show off their skills.

The pack offered a much better platform than I expected although it has to be said that Glasgow didnt put up much resistance until the second half. Dooley and Molony particularly impressive in the front five IMO. Thought Josh was excellent and delighted that Dippy got a try, sad to see him go off like that so early. I wouldn't want the mistakes Leavy made to detract from everything else he did because I thought he had a hugely positive impact, lots of really good moments. Nagle did brilliantly to tidy up two loose balls when he came on, could have been very costly if he hadnt.

Said recently that the more I see Nick McCarthy the more I like him and that's even more true now. There was the odd mistake that is barely worth mentioning but overall he was excellent and I think he could be a big asset next year. Seems to have a very wise head on young shoulders and most of his basics are very good, think he has a habit of getting blocked down but in fairness to him the protection was poor earlier. Thought Ross Byrne played very well too, wouldn't blame him for losing control and letting Glasgow back into it. He was less reliant on the boot and more willing to have a cut this evening, thought it worked well.

I see ROL getting a lot of praise and I suppose he deserves it, but our midfield defence was what nearly cost us tonight IMO. Himself and Daly weren't connected at all and they left plenty of gaps. Don't mean to keep bashing the guy but I thought Daly had a nightmare in defence. Lots of simple missed tackles as well as bad reads. Maybe the bang he took was a factor but I thought he was poor and didnt offer much in attack either. ROL was brilliant in attack though, no argument there.

Zane made one outstanding tackle to shut down an overlap and it's great to see him finishing off here on a high.

Thought Adam Byrne was outstanding. I've always been worried about his rugby brain but tonight he was excellent on both sides of the ball (as he has been for the majority of the season to be fair) and thought he made some great reads in defence, particularly when left exposed by the centres. For such an impressive athlete he's really smart, skilful and selfless now, must be a nightmare to defend against because you've to think about so much more than just tackling him. Gave two fingers to anyone (myself included) who agreed with him not starting last week.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:Jack McGrath is never allowed to kick the ball again :shock:
am just glad it was a league game, dont think we could cope with the "banter" there'd be over that on Sky let alone BT, theres probably a deluge of twaticles over it already
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Noel Reid is seriously underrated. Two passes that led to tries again last night. Having a great season.
Him and ROL are a brilliant partnership to have come in behind Ringshaw.
Daly was dissapointing last night alright.

Impressed with Nick McCarthy I must say. Passing needs a bit of work left to right, but he's a lot of nice things about his game.

R. Byrne was mixed again. He seems to play a good bit with the handbrake on. Knows what to do and good brain, but execution is so so at times. Will benefit a lot from the amount of gametime he's getting this year though.

A Byrne impressed me I must say. He's some attacking weapon and defensively better too.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote:Noel Reid is seriously underrated. Two passes that led to tries again last night. Having a great season.

Impressed with Nick McCarthy I must say. Passing needs a bit of work left to right, but he's a lot of nice things about his game.

R. Byrne was mixed again. He seems to play a good bit with the handbrake on. Knows what to do and good brain, but execution is so so at times. Will benefit a lot from the amount of gametime he's getting this year though.

A Byrne impressed me I must say. He's some attacking weapon and defensively better too.
I think the game plan we have now is way more suited to Reids skillset. Watching the Connacht game back I was a little surprised at how often he stepped in at first receiver and usually to good effect. He's done it before just never realised he did it so much. He passes a good bit more than he used to. His pass/run is often 2/1 whereas in previous seasons it was more 1/1. My impression of him has been he's a footballing 12 who can pass and pick a good line, not as a "real" 2nd 5/8th.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Noel Reid is seriously underrated. Two passes that led to tries again last night. Having a great season.

I think the game plan we have now is way more suited to Reids skillset. Watching the Connacht game back I was a little surprised at how often he stepped in at first receiver and usually to good effect. He's done it before just never realised he did it so much. He passes a good bit more than he used to. His pass/run is often 2/1 whereas in previous seasons it was more 1/1. My impression of him has been he's a footballing 12 who can pass and pick a good line, not as a "real" 2nd 5/8th.
Yeah and he's actually a fairly good stepper when he gets to choose when to run. Nice alternative to Henshaw.
If he's given time and space to throw a high skip pass more often than not it results in a try or a break for us, some skillset to have. I'd love to see a backline with him, Sexton and Joey, the passing options would be incredible.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Yeah and he's actually a fairly good stepper when he gets to choose when to run. Nice alternative to Henshaw.
If he's given time and space to throw a high skip pass more often than not it results in a try or a break for us, some skillset to have. I'd love to see a backline with him, Sexton and Joey, the passing options would be incredible.
I seem to remember Darce a year or two back describing Reid as the best passer in the Leinster squad.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote:
I seem to remember Darce a year or two back describing Reid as the best passer in the Leinster squad.
Think he described him as the best in Ireland iirc. He's definitely best in Leinster squad atm for me.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Have Henrose switched positions?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Jack McGrath is never allowed to kick the ball again :shock:
am just glad it was a league game, dont think we could cope with the "banter" there'd be over that on Sky let alone BT, theres probably a deluge of twaticles over it already
Right decision, wrong player.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:A perfectly normal game up until Glasgow started their comeback and then it went bananas :lol: They take the lead, our 21 year old ten is called upon for his experience to put us ahead, then we have floodlight failure after repelling an attack when a score looked inevitable, and then finally Jack commits what can only be described as a heinous act with a rugby ball :lol:

Great to watch and we played some great stuff. It was never going to be perfect given the selection and the short turnaround from Sunday, plus we had Conan withdrawing and then another injury in the back row early on. All things considered I think that's a brilliant performance. I love that it doesn't matter who we put out these days, everyone looks eager to play the same way and show off their skills.

The pack offered a much better platform than I expected although it has to be said that Glasgow didnt put up much resistance until the second half. Dooley and Molony particularly impressive in the front five IMO. Thought Josh was excellent and delighted that Dippy got a try, sad to see him go off like that so early. I wouldn't want the mistakes Leavy made to detract from everything else he did because I thought he had a hugely positive impact, lots of really good moments. Nagle did brilliantly to tidy up two loose balls when he came on, could have been very costly if he hadnt.

Said recently that the more I see Nick McCarthy the more I like him and that's even more true now. There was the odd mistake that is barely worth mentioning but overall he was excellent and I think he could be a big asset next year. Seems to have a very wise head on young shoulders and most of his basics are very good, think he has a habit of getting blocked down but in fairness to him the protection was poor earlier. Thought Ross Byrne played very well too, wouldn't blame him for losing control and letting Glasgow back into it. He was less reliant on the boot and more willing to have a cut this evening, thought it worked well.

I see ROL getting a lot of praise and I suppose he deserves it, but our midfield defence was what nearly cost us tonight IMO. Himself and Daly weren't connected at all and they left plenty of gaps. Don't mean to keep bashing the guy but I thought Daly had a nightmare in defence. Lots of simple missed tackles as well as bad reads. Maybe the bang he took was a factor but I thought he was poor and didnt offer much in attack either. ROL was brilliant in attack though, no argument there.

Zane made one outstanding tackle to shut down an overlap and it's great to see him finishing off here on a high.

Thought Adam Byrne was outstanding. I've always been worried about his rugby brain but tonight he was excellent on both sides of the ball (as he has been for the majority of the season to be fair) and thought he made some great reads in defence, particularly when left exposed by the centres. For such an impressive athlete he's really smart, skilful and selfless now, must be a nightmare to defend against because you've to think about so much more than just tackling him. Gave two fingers to anyone (myself included) who agreed with him not starting last week.
Good post.