Tour to Japan

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Tour to Japan

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:There's no way players like Heaslip, Toner, Zebo, Earls, Healy, Kearney etc will be left behind. They will all be wanted as backups for the lions for when the inevitable injuries happen. They'll need to be match ready and sharp. Much as many of us might feel a bit disinterested in the Lions, it isn't separate from the IRFU. The 4 unions own it.
I'm not sure if all of them will go, but that will be down to their injury situation rather than Joe not wanting to pick them. Hopefully we'll see plenty of rotation amongs the squad for the three games.
Well put. I think that some of those guys listed above willmiss out due to injury/surgery/recovery – for example, I don't see Rob Kearney making it on tour, because he has been crippled by injury this season. When you chart his 2016-17 season, there's scarcely a month that went by where he didn't pick up a new injury or else have surgery on a previous injury: knee injury [@ Glasgow in Sep.], concussion [vs Australia in Nov], ankle injury [@ Northampton in Dec.], arm injury [vs France in February], knee injury and surgery [March 2017], bicep surgery [April 2017]. He has been absolutely crocked. The best thing for him is to get a good long break and rebuild with a full pre-season.

There are some other factors that come into play. Ulster have been poor and Connacht have been really poor this season. There are few players from either side who have done much to further their claims to an Irish spot. It's so much harder to get international recognition when you're playing in a poor or underperforming team – you really have to ignore the mistakes and the sh*t that's going on around you and concentrate on maintaining your own standards, while not playing like a mé féiner. That's a tight line to tread.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The good thing is that there are two weeks between the pro 12 final and the US game, so no need to bring a huge squad to cover for guys involved in that.

On second rows, agree with RTB about Dev needing a rest but I'd say that the opposite will happen and Dev will travel with Ryan left at home because of his move. Maybe not, maybe we won't care about flogging him.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'd add Jack Conan to list of guys that need a rest
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:I'd add Jack Conan to list of guys that need a rest
That almost certainly depends on availability of Jamie. Stander and O'Donoghue could cover if Jamie is missing but Joe will want Jack to experience Japan and the Japanese team.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:I'd add Jack Conan to list of guys that need a rest
That almost certainly depends on availability of Jamie. Stander and O'Donoghue could cover if Jamie is missing but Joe will want Jack to experience Japan and the Japanese team.
cant see Heaslip going but have a feeling Jack may be formally ruled out with his calf or a medical decision will be taken to rest it up
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Conan has missed a lot of rugby this season though, I suspect we're just being cautious with him because he's important for the knock out games. He's not someone I'd worry about resting if I was Joe, I'd want him involved. I'd say he'd want to be too, big opportunity to put himself in the mix for November.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Tour to Japan comes ahead of early Pro 12 rounds when it comes to player availability.

We don't have to like it but if they need a break it comes out of September unless there are specific injury requirements, i.e. Risking longer term fitness.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Kearney might be a candidate for that given his recent injury troubles, his age and the need to develop younger alternatives for post RWC.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

cormac wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:There's no way players like Heaslip, Toner, Zebo, Earls, Healy, Kearney etc will be left behind. They will all be wanted as backups for the lions for when the inevitable injuries happen. They'll need to be match ready and sharp. Much as many of us might feel a bit disinterested in the Lions, it isn't separate from the IRFU. The 4 unions own it.
I'm not sure if all of them will go, but that will be down to their injury situation rather than Joe not wanting to pick them. Hopefully we'll see plenty of rotation amongs the squad for the three games.
Obviously if they're injured, they won't go. I doubt any mainstay senior players would be left behind unless the medical advice says they need to.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Any ideas when that Squad will be named? Eddie J was straight off the mark with his 'mix-and-match' group for Argentina as soon as the Lions were named. Presumably they will all need to know so that they can break the news gently to partners, families etc. that Summer hasn't arrived yet.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Is Tadg Beirne good enough?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:Is Tadg Beirne good enough?
yes but hes not playing in Ireland so no
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

simonokeeffe wrote:
I know that, but extenuating circumstances. He was let go and made a name for himself abroad.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

No, in my opinion. I admit I've only seen Scarlets in their European games and against Irish teams in the Pro 12, but I haven't seen enough from him. I kept an eye on him in the RDS game in particular, and I thought he was poor. Made bad decisions with the ball, gave away daft penalties, and he wasn't effective enough at ruck time. He was excellent against Toulon in the back to back European games as a counterbalance to this, but I don't think he's consistent enough yet.

Maybe enough to sign for Leinster in the hope that he can step up, but not deserving of an Ireland place yet - in my opinion.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
I know that, but extenuating circumstances. He was let go and made a name for himself abroad.
they need to be more extenuating :D
Rex_Banner
Beginner

Post by Rex_Banner »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Thought about that a while back but it would probably be "disrespecting" the second-tier nations. But, on the other hand, I think NZ have taken emerging players on European Tour without any announcement.

At the moment I have three of Treadwell, Molony, O'Shea and Roux pencilled in beside Ryan. IMO, no point in taking Holland and Toner needs a good rest.

Despite some good disruption at the line out I thought Toner looked tired again today. Hopefully a break in the summer (if he gets it) has him back to his best for next season.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Who's going to be captain?

Heaslip's looks like he won't be fit/risked, Best & POM on Lions, Ryan off to France
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:Who's going to be captain?

Heaslip's looks like he won't be fit/risked, Best & POM on Lions, Ryan off to France
Ruddock? Jackson and Marmion as VCs maybe
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

James Ryan?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Who's going to be captain?

Ruddock? Jackson and Marmion as VCs maybe
I like all of them, Scannell (hooker) only other one I can think of, unless you go left field with Leavy