Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Donny B. »

Legion was good crazy fun. American Gods is something similar (couldn't believe it when someone told me the lead actor was in Sky's DreamTeam).

However new series of the year already looks to be The Handmaid's Tale. Compulsive, dark, tense viewing and a bleak statement on fanaticism for the times we live in.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Watched the expanse, season 1 and really enjoyed it. A sci fi set 200yrs from now with a very easy to imagine level of tech progress and political climate.
Earth is a city, colonies are terraforming mars(population mainly of a scientific background) and the asteroid belt is a mining ground for mineral and water resources supplying both planets. The asteroid belt and mars occupiers are both 2nd and 3rd generation populace.
The backdrop is one of potential martian/earth civil war and union unrest on the mining outposts. Really interesting dynamic in the impact on human evolution in low gravity i.e. bone density, taller population and being exposed to earths gravity as a form of torture.
Tom Jane is the lead as a detective on one of the asteroid outposts investigating a missing person, whose story intertwines with a rag tag ship crew of 5 (at times firefly esque without the comedy) who are seemingly right in the middle of every political incident.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Samurai Jack season 5, epic art
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

So Jamestown is officially shite - unfortunately it's now on a list of things I may need to watch in order to keep up with the good lady's conversation :(
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:So Jamestown is officially shite - unfortunately it's now on a list of things I may need to watch in order to keep up with the good lady's conversation :(
Watched the first epp with mine. Neither of us were prepared to give epp 2 a go.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:So Jamestown is officially shite - unfortunately it's now on a list of things I may need to watch in order to keep up with the good lady's conversation :(
You need to learn the art of filtering - mine started telling me about bus routes or something the other day, and I managed to block most of the details out successfully.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Anyone else watching The Leftovers?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

nc6000 wrote:Anyone else watching The Leftovers?
Only those who find the walking dead too cheerful
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

American Gods, very, very good
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Episode 7 of the handmaid's tale. Gets even better.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

johng wrote:Episode 7 of the handmaid's tale. Gets even better.
Recommend reading the book first? I've had it on my shelf for a while but haven't got around to it
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

They are different, which is good. You can read the book and watch the (1990) film and still enjoy the series.

Personally episode seven was the one that made me realise I won't be watching the second series, much and all as I enjoy the first. How do you turn discreet source material into an ongoing series, as long as the ratings decide? By added potboiler elements.

I'm not saying that the episode itself wasn't good, it was, but how it points at what they are doing with the narrative is a problem for me. I have increasingly found myself enjoying a series but declining to partake in the second or subsequent iterations. I'm rediscovering films as more satisfying. Plus, even with the bloat that modern cinema has (you're paying cash so your arse will get sore and your bladder tested) they are still shorter than multiple series.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

fourthirtythree wrote:They are different, which is good. You can read the book and watch the (1990) film and still enjoy the series.

Personally episode seven was the one that made me realise I won't be watching the second series, much and all as I enjoy the first. How do you turn discreet source material into an ongoing series, as long as the ratings decide? By added potboiler elements.

I'm not saying that the episode itself wasn't good, it was, but how it points at what they are doing with the narrative is a problem for me. I have increasingly found myself enjoying a series but declining to partake in the second or subsequent iterations. I'm rediscovering films as more satisfying. Plus, even with the bloat that modern cinema has (you're paying cash so your arse will get sore and your bladder tested) they are still shorter than multiple series.
I thought I was alone in this - so for instance I remember fondly the original BBC(IIRC) House of cards, and watched series one and half of S2 of the new Kevin Spacey version. Although the new version is excellent I just don't think it was showing us anything new about the characters.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Good shout from whomever wjomeversuggested the crown. Jolly good show
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Star Trek Discovery, not sure what to make of it at all.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

TerenureJim wrote:Star Trek Discovery, not sure what to make of it at all.
It's not complete trash so far which makes it better than the new movies.

Not quite sure why they've retconned the Klingons to look like space lizards though.

From what I've heard the Orville is meant to be better, but that's not out over here yet.
Anyone But New Zealand
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

FLIP wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Star Trek Discovery, not sure what to make of it at all.
It's not complete trash so far which makes it better than the new movies.

Not quite sure why they've retconned the Klingons to look like space lizards though.

From what I've heard the Orville is meant to be better, but that's not out over here yet.
The Orville looks like it was made on a sub 1970's Dr. Who budget and I don't mean in a charming way. It's also very laboured writing. Can't see it getting beyond 1 season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I enjoyed the 2 episodes of the new st. Haven't watched much sf in the time since the last series was on back in tbe mid noughties.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

The Deuce looks really promising, first episode was excellent.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Toast of London, how am I only discovering this now? Matt Berry is quality as Steven Toast. 3 seasons on Netflix. If you haven't seen it do yourself a favour.

Steven? This is Clem Fandango