Saracens V Clermont Edinburgh

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Blue not red blood
Mullet

Saracens V Clermont Edinburgh

Post by Blue not red blood »

Around 15 of us are meeting up in Ryans ( end of Princes St, opposite Caledonian Hotel ) on Saturday lunchtime before the game.
In our Leinster and Clermont colours

Ici Ici Montferrand
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Saracens V Clermont Edinburgh

Post by nelly the elephant »

Blue not red blood wrote:Around 15 of us are meeting up in Ryans ( end of Princes St, opposite Caledonian Hotel ) on Saturday lunchtime before the game.

Ici Ici Montferrand
Ten of us arriving early Friday afternoon from parts various. I've booked a table for lunch though pre game @ 2.30. Might check out Ryans on Friday evening so. Will catch yiz anon maybe...
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Blue not red blood wrote:Around 15 of us are meeting up in Ryans ( end of Princes St, opposite Caledonian Hotel ) on Saturday lunchtime before the game.

Ici Ici Montferrand
Ha! I was trying to figure out what they were chanting just as I read this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Scott Spedding plays more like Rob Kearney than Rob Kearney does
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Clermont ascendant now but they still don't look like scoring.

Side note; Sarries' jersey would be nice if it wasn't a Sarries jerseys

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Scotty! Lol. What s try.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Twist wrote:Clermont ascendant now but they still don't look like scoring.

Side note; Sarries' jersey would be nice if it wasn't a Sarries jerseys

Well, they didn't at the time.

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Ah you're right enough twist, it still feels like sarries will close this out. But I tell you what, they would be fair glad of the 2 points that Ashton's dive cost them at the minute.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Saracens deserving winners.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I'm gutted for Clermont. I wasn't expecting them to win but they went a lot closer than I thought. That Lopez missed penalty was a shocker.

7 losses in their last 8 finals must be hard to take.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Clermont try from Scott Spedding's counter-attack from 1m from his own line must rank as one of the greatest ever European Cup tries.

Enjoyed the game as a contest and Clermont fought like lions but Sarries were the more complete team and deserved their win.

One aspect which annoyed me intensely was Nigel's total revision of the laws of the game with regard to handling in the ruck. He has now unilaterally decided that the ball can be handled within a ruck, to effect a turnover, in any circumstances where the player is on his feet. This re-interpretation may be good for the game and maybe should be adopted by the lawmakers. But it has not been made law yet!

Nigel's current interpretation is plain wrong under current law. Obviouly Clermont saw clearly in our game what Nigel would allow and Fritz Lee was magnificent today in taking advantage of this interpretation to claim 4 or 5 turnovers. However, currently, once a ruck is formed, two attackers and one defender at a breakdown, the ball cannot be handled. Owens decision to allow players to do so causes confusion and frustration.

Apart from that, if we can find three strong, mobile and ball-handling second-rows and a defensively cohesive back-three, we have a good enough squad to take on Saracens, who look a class above every other side in Europe at present. Toner, Fardy, Ryan and Kearney may be the supply chain in the row and Carbery, Kearney, Byrne, Lowe, Daly, O'Loughlin and Larmour should provide the last line options. Both McGrath and JGP should look closely at the contributions of Parra and Wiggelsworth today and take that as their benchmark for next season.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

nc6000 wrote:I'm gutted for Clermont. I wasn't expecting them to win but they went a lot closer than I thought. That Lopez missed penalty was a shocker.

7 losses in their last 8 finals must be hard to take.
The nightmare continues for them, again their support was amazing today in and out of the ground.....as you say gutted !.
Flying wedge
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Looked like all five of Sarries fans made the trip up, great support for that team of local home grown talent, oh wait....
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

TerenureJim wrote:Looked like all five of Sarries fans made the trip up, great support for that team of local home grown talent, oh wait....
That's unfair there was a lot of Sarries support there- more than I expected. Although in saying that every single Sarries fan I met in London were lovely. A select few in Edinburgh- not so much.

Still gutted for Clermont though.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I get the friendly rivalry we have with Clermont and how welcoming their fans are and so on. I also get that sarries fans are probably on sarries payroll. But I still struggle to muster anything that resembles emotion for either.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its easy to be nice to Clermont - they best they will ever really achieve is to stop other teams winning something, they'll never really threaten the engravers themselves. 30 finals, 23 losses. They have a far bigger budget than Toulon or Saracens but that seems to get ignored, not because they don't try to buy success, but because they are just so bad at it. People patronise CA more than we patronise Connacht, and thats saying something.

Perhaps if their fans were less willing to accept this and instead of following the club through thin and thin actually made it clear that being plucky losers is no longer acceptable they might progress. But they won't.
Last edited by Dave Cahill on May 14th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

double post
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:Its easy to be nice to Clermont - they best they will ever really achieve is to stop other teams winning something, they'll never really threaten the engravers themselves. 30 finals, 23 losses. They have a far bigger budget than Toulon or Saracens but that seems to get ignored, not because they don't try to buy success, but because they are just so bad at it. People patronise CA more than we patronise Connacht, and thats saying something.

Perhaps if their fans were less willing to accept this and instead of following the club through thin and thin actually made it clear that being plucky losers is no longer acceptable they might progress. But they won't.
Oooh you contrarian bastid!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:Looked like all five of Sarries fans made the trip up, great support for that team of local home grown talent, oh wait....

Remind us of how many homegrown players were in the that Clermont team...one or two was it?
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Its easy to be nice to Clermont - they best they will ever really achieve is to stop other teams winning something, they'll never really threaten the engravers themselves. 30 finals, 23 losses. They have a far bigger budget than Toulon or Saracens but that seems to get ignored, not because they don't try to buy success, but because they are just so bad at it. People patronise CA more than we patronise Connacht, and thats saying something.

Oooh you contrarian bastid!

The kind of people who like Clermont are the kind of people for whom Ringo is their favourite Beatle. Non-threatening, good to laugh at, gets the drinks in, alway up for anything. Relatively mediocre wife beating musician, but never mind that, Thomas the Tank Engine!
I have Bumbleflex