A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's still nonsense to be having a pop at the fans though. I mean he actually slags off people for making the trip to Lyon. Did he look at the fans at the Clermont game and just think "you wouldn't see all of these in the RDS" instead of it just being great support? What a pr!*k.
Yeah I agree with that. When Munster travel it's 'red hordes'.
He's a tool, but a tool with the nucleus of a point in terms of crowds.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

It's not just the pop at fans - there is an undercurrent to what he writes that slips in. So for example he starts with what seems like a pre-determined conclusion.....
Cummisky wrote:It’s long been the Leinster way for foreign players to be preferred over local rookies....
Followed by....
Cummisky wrote:Kirchner makes the bench again here while Michael Bent covers Tadhg Furlong...
Cummisky wrote:Leavy is squeezed out of the pack by Rhys Ruddock’s Herculean performance against Clermont as the half Welsh blindside looks primed to lead Ireland against USA and Japan next month.
So his back up to the assertion that Leinster long history of promoting foreign over local talent is (a) 1 NIQ on the bench (with an IQ on the pitch ahead of him), (b) a foreign born IQ on the bench and (c) the fact that one of the IQ players is "half Welsh" (whatever that means)

I just think he needs a proper sub-editor - his pieces read like he is paid by the word
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's still nonsense to be having a pop at the fans though. I mean he actually slags off people for making the trip to Lyon. Did he look at the fans at the Clermont game and just think "you wouldn't see all of these in the RDS" instead of it just being great support? What a pr!*k.
I don't get what his point there is. Wasn't it 1,500 - 2,000 Leinster fans that traveled? How is that fans preferring Lyon than the RDS, where there are 16,000 tickets sold?
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

No doubt if Heaslip had been fit we would have had an Israeli at No 8!
Four Stars
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I tend not to be offended by Cummisky's stuff because I usually can't understand what he's trying to say. He's command of English is appalling.

If some leaving cert student submitted the following opening paragraph, they would get a D at best. It's full on gibberish...

"Wayne Pivac is a rare gem; a quotable Kiwi. Fed starving rugby reporters at the recent “Guinness” Pro12 awards, he did. The Aucklander successfully coached Fiji once upon a time before the lure of family and home guided him to North Harbour. Didn’t work out as All Black legends Craig Dowd and Jeff Wilson filled the breach (they didn’t last much longer with Wilson doing his best Tom McGurk impression on New Zealand TV nowadays). The Auckland gig came back around in 2011 after Ulster hired Mark Anscombe. Of course coaching jobs never last with Anscombe, aka Cowboy, eventually released by the biennial Ulster pressure valve. He’s currently helming the good ship Canada. Anyway, in 2014 Pivac was recruited as Simon Easterby’s assistant in Llanelli. When the IRFU offered Easterby the forwards role under Joe Schmidt, Pivac found himself in charge of the Scarlets. Trick to surviving any merry-go-round is a vice grip. Pivac understands as much. This is season three for the former beat copper."
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

CiaranIrl wrote:I tend not to be offended by Cummisky's stuff because I usually can't understand what he's trying to say. He's command of English is appalling.

If some leaving cert student submitted the following opening paragraph, they would get a D at best. It's full on gibberish...

"Wayne Pivac is a rare gem; a quotable Kiwi. Fed starving rugby reporters at the recent “Guinness” Pro12 awards, he did. The Aucklander successfully coached Fiji once upon a time before the lure of family and home guided him to North Harbour. Didn’t work out as All Black legends Craig Dowd and Jeff Wilson filled the breach (they didn’t last much longer with Wilson doing his best Tom McGurk impression on New Zealand TV nowadays). The Auckland gig came back around in 2011 after Ulster hired Mark Anscombe. Of course coaching jobs never last with Anscombe, aka Cowboy, eventually released by the biennial Ulster pressure valve. He’s currently helming the good ship Canada. Anyway, in 2014 Pivac was recruited as Simon Easterby’s assistant in Llanelli. When the IRFU offered Easterby the forwards role under Joe Schmidt, Pivac found himself in charge of the Scarlets. Trick to surviving any merry-go-round is a vice grip. Pivac understands as much. This is season three for the former beat copper."
That's probably a good attitude. His pop at the fans has overshadowed the fact that he can't write.
Dont Panic!
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Jeez the amount of space he gets on this site is unbelievable. Why bother commenting on clowns such as he
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I think we should open a separate thread in his honour. I'm sure that's what he wants :)
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:I tend not to be offended by Cummisky's stuff because I usually can't understand what he's trying to say. He's command of English is appalling.

That second sentence is unbelievably bad. Some of the others sound like he's caught in a storm and shouting key words down a bad telephone line.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

That second sentence is unbelievably bad. Some of the others sound like he's caught in a storm and shouting key words down a bad telephone line.
I take it that sub-editors are gone the same way as the dodo.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I seem to recall someone telling me that the subs were all let go at the Indo and ITimes?
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:So much of what he writes implies that he hates the people who read it. Combined with the fact that he offers no insight whatsoever I don't see why he doesn't try and find a different job that makes him/us happier.
I said the same thing on Blues Talk a few weeks ago, a large proportion of the Irish rugby print media seem to actively dislike the sport, its participants and its supporters.

But, its still a poor reflection that we can't sell out semi-finals.
Yes and No.y
A negative media doesn't help the cause of ticket sales.
The media portray Leinster as an elitist rugby club.
And Munster as a club for the working people.
Neither portrayal is in fact accurate.
I definitely think this affects our ticket sales and it's an issue for our marketing people to address, starting, perhaps, with a bit of legwork on the media.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Oldschool wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:So much of what he writes implies that he hates the people who read it. Combined with the fact that he offers no insight whatsoever I don't see why he doesn't try and find a different job that makes him/us happier.
I said the same thing on Blues Talk a few weeks ago, a large proportion of the Irish rugby print media seem to actively dislike the sport, its participants and its supporters.

But, its still a poor reflection that we can't sell out semi-finals.
Yes and No.y
A negative media doesn't help the cause of ticket sales.
The media portray Leinster as an elitist rugby club.
And Munster as a club for the working people.
Neither portrayal is in fact accurate.
I definitely think this affects our ticket sales and it's an issue for our marketing people to address, starting, perhaps, with a bit of legwork on the media.
That's a good point actually. As we all know, the media continuously pooh pooh the Pro 12, and then they write negatively about attendances which they do nothing to help with their negative press. A fine mess of a merry-go-round!
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

We should get more in but season tickets especially tend to be one season behind the teams fortunes

Was a lot of guff from newby fans when knockouts werent included in season tickets

By averages 16k SOLD is good for a league semi, if it was an interpro itd be full, or even a Saturday wouldve gotten more away fans/fans in general
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dave Cahill wrote:I seem to recall someone telling me that the subs were all let go at the Indo and ITimes?
I've certainly said it in this thread. The workflow in the industry changed long ago. Times let them go in their rationalisation after the dot com and before the real estate bubble made them quids in before the crash (and the separate newspaper crash). I remember friends, fairly recent graduates on good cheddar, being quite happy to take the severance.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

simonokeeffe wrote: By averages 16k SOLD is good for a league semi, if it was an interpro itd be full, or even a Saturday wouldve gotten more away fans/fans in general
I agree with this last bit. I quite like Friday evening games but it isn't a great time for fans that are not used to going to games at that time.

Its fine for your regular Pro12 match which would probably not sell out in any event but I can't help thinking if there were two weeks before the Final (I know - crowded fixture list etc) the two semi-finals would have been better off on the Saturday and Sunday.
Four Stars
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

"Fed starving rugby reporters at the recent “Guinness” Pro12 awards, he did."

Is Cummiskey Yoda? :lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Didn't read the whole match report but our Gav started off yesterday's article by saying how we didn't manage to do as well as we did under MOC (paraphrasing). Pretty sure that was another dig at fans for the criticism of MOC, god I hate that guy.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Didn't read the whole match report but our Gav started off yesterday's article by saying how we didn't manage to do as well as we did under MOC (paraphrasing). Pretty sure that was another dig at fans for the criticism of MOC, god I hate that guy.
even God hates him

Franno described JGP's missed tackle on Shingler as "feminine" and sure Franno wouldve caught him himself :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

A good comment on Franno's effort during his time playing was that he jumped at 4 and jumped again at 5.