Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dexter wrote:
Why would they do this? Seems daft.
Thats called the European Cup Paul
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well, it filled 800 words and got comment on a couple of blogs. Apart from that, can't see any logic in it.

Players are not machines. Even a cursory analysis of the Squads in the three major European Rugby Leagues over say the past 5 seasons will clearly indicate an increased ratio of players injured and missing game time. I'm sure somebody, somewhere, has done a detailed analysis on that basis and I'd certainly be interested in it. But, for the moment, assuming that the premise is correct, it is largely because: a) the game is more intense and the trauma injuries more severe; b) referees and medics are now more "intrusive" about head injuries and automatically insist players go off; c) Professional players have realised that staying on after a head knock is neither smart, nor macho, nor compulsory, just plain risky.

The original 'target' of Forwards playing no more than 28 games in total, over a 40 week season and Backs playing no more than 30 over the same period, with an 8 week pre-season preparation and a (mandatory) 4 week total rest, still seems to me to be a good benchmark for even the toughest players. This was the sort of argument put forward by the International Players Association who first pushed for a Global Season. The fact that they were encouraged by Sanzar Unions, for reasons a million miles away from Player Welfare, is unfortunately what happens in sports business organisations. However, journalists, who claim to have a particular interest in Rugby, should take due account of the Player Welfare issue first, before they jump up to parade the latest money-grabbing, marketing idea, and should ask the hard questions of where does that idea fit into a Season of 40 competitive weeks.

As a Leinster 'stakeholder', i.e. a STH whose money funds some element of player contracts, I can accept the template that sees our best players play 10 games for Ireland, 6-8 European games, 6 Interpros and possibly as few as 6-8 Pro12 games, including play-offs. But, I've no interest in seeing them play for the Lions or the Ba-Bas or in some other Tournament format with Super Rugby, Premiership rugby or Sanzar rugby, purely because some marketing guy thinks its a great money-generating idea
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

London Irish canter into championship playoff final, Gilsenan was on the bench
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Confirms Bristol's relegation
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wouldn't you have to feel sorry for Bath though? Beaten by Sale to miss Play-offs. Oh well, maybe not. It couldn't happen to a more appropriate club (owner).
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Marty Moore just went off injured in what is a cracking AP final. He only came on just after the half hour mark and did nothing of note except for look wrecked all the time. He was totally shattered when there were still more than 15 minutes left of the second half and I have my doubts as to how injured he was. He had nothing left in the tank at all, took every opportunity he could to lie down at the bottom of a ruck.

At this stage I can't see him ever delivering on his potential, he looks closer to Ah You than Furlong.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Marty Moore just went off injured in what is a cracking AP final. He only came on just after the half hour mark and did nothing of note except for look wrecked all the time. He was totally shattered when there were still more than 15 minutes left of the second half and I have my doubts as to how injured he was. He had nothing left in the tank at all, took every opportunity he could to lie down at the bottom of a ruck.

At this stage I can't see him ever delivering on his potential, he looks closer to Ah You than Furlong.
sad to say youre right, he looks like hes gained weight too

great win for Exeter, one of the good guys
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Fat or not, it's nice to have an option who can lock a scrum in the depth chart.

He's young enough and has the ceiling that he might bounce back as an elite prop.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:Fat or not, it's nice to have an option who can lock a scrum in the depth chart.

He's young enough and has the ceiling that he might bounce back as an elite prop.
He wasn't locking anything, wasps scrum was rubbish with him in it.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I said it at the time: Gopperth has a sense of humour. In his interview he talked about how the great premiership intensity and the great s&c had transformed Moore. And that he looked like a back row. We saw him that week and he was a giant shadow of himself.

He needs to come back to Ireland and off the pies. The weight doesn't help him scrum and he has lost his mobility.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Very pleased for Gareth Steenson, skippering Exeter to a title. May have been slightly unlucky with the timing of his career but he's unlucky never to have been capped. Lesser players than Steenson have won caps during his playing career. Good to see London Irish back too!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Ian Whiten too!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Flash Gordon wrote:Very pleased for Gareth Steenson, skippering Exeter to a title. May have been slightly unlucky with the timing of his career but he's unlucky never to have been capped. Lesser players than Steenson have won caps during his playing career. Good to see London Irish back too!
Yes someone up here saw him as a threat so he was basically forced across the sheugh, fair play to the lad as he pushed on strengthened his weakness in defence etc and proved the doubters wrong, they ate humble pie and tried to get him back but he is far to settled where he is and won't be playing for Ireland unless they pick a non provincial player.
Always was a fantastic kicker very consistent right through his career, great to see him rewarded this week for his professionalism throughout his career.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought the same thing about his defence on Saturday, he was reall putting himself about. There was a great photo of him holding the trophy naked on the pitch at Sandy Park.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

fourthirtythree wrote:I said it at the time: Gopperth has a sense of humour. In his interview he talked about how the great premiership intensity and the great s&c had transformed Moore. And that he looked like a back row. We saw him that week and he was a giant shadow of himself.

He needs to come back to Ireland and off the pies. The weight doesn't help him scrum and he has lost his mobility.
Hmm he wasn't exactly Mr Motivator when he was over here either.
Looked shagged at the weekend after about 10 minutes. We certainly got the better deal in keeping Tadhg.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thought the same thing about his defence on Saturday, he was reall putting himself about. There was a great photo of him holding the trophy naked on the pitch at Sandy Park.
Last time I saw him with so little on he was getting his nappy changed, flip where do the years go !
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Northampton have "reluctantly agreed" to let France international Louis Picamoles return to the Top 14 to play for Montpellier.

Picamoles, who was only one year into a three-year contract, will rejoin his first professional club, as the French Rugby Federation now wants its internationals to be playing in the French division.

‎‎The club have accepted a "significant transfer fee" for the 31-year-old's services, who featured 20 times during the 2016/17 season including five matches in the European Rugby Champions Cup.

"I am proud to have played for Northampton Saints and I have enjoyed my time with the club," Picamoles said.

"I am grateful for all the support and friendship I have received from the club, the coaches, my team mates and supporters."

Northampton said in a statement: "The 31-year-old has received a proposal from Montpellier which will underpin the future financial stability for his family.

"The club has therefore reluctantly agreed to the transfer and accepted a significant transfer fee for his services.
"This fee will be reinvested into the playing squad to ensure Northampton Saints continues to strive for success on the pitch. To achieve this, the Saints is looking to further strengthen the squad with new signings in addition to the world-class talent already confirmed for 2017/18.

"The Saints' management would like to thank Louis for his contribution to this season and wish him all the best for the future."

The French No 8 has made more than 60 appearances for France after making his international debut against Ireland in the 2008 Six Nations and joined Northampton from Toulouse in 2016.
I dunno if this is a great move for Louis - Saints got him properly fit for the first time and it made a huge difference
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Fees for players are becoming the norm, i see
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:Fees for players are becoming the norm, i see
Give it a bad Brexit and a reduced BT deal and PRL will be selling a lot of top players to T14
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

WORCESTER WARRIORS HAVE this morning announced the signing of Munster and Ireland legend Peter Stringer on a short-term deal.

Stringer will turn 40 in December before the six-month deal comes to an end
He just keeps on goin n goin, some man.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!