Tadhg Beirne

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Tadhg Beirne

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote: I think he's better off in Scarlets than fighting for squad time ahead of M Kearney and Nagle.
Agreed. I think himself and Kearney are very similar, it's just that Kearney has been carrying an injury and been out of form. Hard to know what our second row situation will look like in a year but I don't envisage Beirne being needed here really, I'd imagine Munster and Ulster would have a greater need for him. If he does leave the Scarlets then it should be for somewhere where he knows he'll play all the time.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
ronk wrote: I think he's better off in Scarlets than fighting for squad time ahead of M Kearney and Nagle.
Agreed. I think himself and Kearney are very similar, it's just that Kearney has been carrying an injury and been out of form. Hard to know what our second row situation will look like in a year but I don't envisage Beirne being needed here really, I'd imagine Munster and Ulster would have a greater need for him. If he does leave the Scarlets then it should be for somewhere where he knows he'll play all the time.
Beirne is taller and more athletic than Kearney.

If he continues his end of season form next season then he would easily compete for a lot of gametime at Leinster.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster could afford to let Foley and Ryan leave this year. They're not doing that so they can sign Beirne unless he's available cheap. He's still going to have trouble getting ahead of Kleyn and Holland.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd have Beirne as more similar to Molony than Kearney. Probably a little bit bulkier and more filled out, but for me Kearney is nowhere near as athletic as either of them.
Hopefully Molony kicks on a bit more, started to put in a few performances before the semi.
We could really do with Mick K returning to his previous standard of a Pro12 lock too, he had a very disappointing season overall.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Early days to be sure but to me Beirne looks like he has a higher ceiling that Nagle or M Kearney who has been poor. Toner is limited in many areas of the game and with Fardy you never know what we gonna get - hopefully not another Kane Douglas. Ryan yet might be the great white hope but too early to be sure. Molony has potential but still needs to show more.

I really don't think it's a stretch to see Beirne if his star continues to grow next year signing for Leinster and being a starting lock beside maybe Ryan or Fardy or number 3 behind them.

Worth a punt considering our poor track record in the row............
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:Munster could afford to let Foley and Ryan leave this year. They're not doing that so they can sign Beirne unless he's available cheap. He's still going to have trouble getting ahead of Kleyn and Holland.
They didn't let Ryan go though, they wanted to keep him and now they have to sign a replacement.

I really thought Kearney was excellent last year so don't doubt his ability in the slightest. I would doubt his fitness record though and that's a fairly valid reason for thinking we could replace him. But with the options we have I don't see Beirne starting in Europe and want James Ryan involved as much as possible so wouldn't want Beirne to lose a starting place at the Scarlets for a bench place here, or worse.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Beirne is definitely NOT taller than Kearney. He has however got the potential to be a very good tight-head 2nd row. His talent and competitiveness was never an issue in Leinster Academy, only his injury profile.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Beirne is definitely NOT taller than Kearney. He has however got the potential to be a very good tight-head 2nd row. His talent and competitiveness was never an issue in Leinster Academy, only his injury profile.
Yes he is. Mick Kearney is in the 6'4"-6'5" range and Beirne is 6'6".
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Beirne is definitely NOT taller than Kearney. He has however got the potential to be a very good tight-head 2nd row. His talent and competitiveness was never an issue in Leinster Academy, only his injury profile.
Yes he is. Mick Kearney is in the 6'4"-6'5" range and Beirne is 6'6".
Yeah he is, a much better athlete too.
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Scarlets website has Beirne as 106 kg. Would he need to beef up a bit if he wants to become an international lock, don't think there are too many international locks below 112-115 kg
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Beirne was a year after Kearney at U20s and they had similar careers up to that point.

Beirne went into the academy and didn't get many caps due to injuries and bad timing of said injuries but did win the B&I Cup.Kearney went to Connacht and got loads of caps but hasn't had a great year with injuries.

Beirne is a 7s playing 2nd row, which suggests his strengths and weaknesses and why he's a productive player in the Scarlets system.

Both of them appear to have made good moves by leaving Leinster.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ronk wrote:Munster could afford to let Foley and Ryan leave this year. They're not doing that so they can sign Beirne unless he's available cheap. He's still going to have trouble getting ahead of Kleyn and Holland.
If he comes back I think for him and Ireland, Ulster would be the best bet.God knows they could use a few decent forwards and it would definitely benefit him to work with Jono.
Last edited by Flash Gordon on May 31st, 2017, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

We need to start winning trophies again if we are to attract the best players. Hard to imagine players such as Elsom or Thorne been bothered to join Leinster as we stand currently.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Raydollard wrote:We need to start winning trophies again if we are to attract the best players. Hard to imagine players such as Elsom or Thorne been bothered to join Leinster as we stand currently.
Or Sexton or Lowe or Fardy? We're a 3 time European Cup winner on an upward curve with a great culture based in a place players want to come to. Any player worth his salt would take an expression of interest from Leinster very seriously.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Provincial world is his oyster next summer

Connacht: definite starter
Ulster: probable starter
Munster: 1st choice 23 at worst
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

simonokeeffe wrote:Provincial world is his oyster next summer

would he start over Treadwell/Henderson?

I don't think so.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by mildlyinterested » May 31st, 2017, 11:09 am

simonokeeffe wrote:
Provincial world is his oyster next summer

would he start over Treadwell/Henderson?

I don't think so.
4. Treadwell
5. Beirne
6. Henderson

There you go sorted it for you.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Saved me the trouble

Plus at worst Henderson misses a heap of games
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

simonokeeffe wrote:Provincial world is his oyster next summer

I think Connacht are pretty well stocked when it comes to second rows. They've got Dillane, Roux, Browne, Cannon and Thornbury.

In fact, we might end up with a similar thread to this one for Thornbury if he comes through well
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Raydollard wrote:We need to start winning trophies again if we are to attract the best players. Hard to imagine players such as Elsom or Thorne been bothered to join Leinster as we stand currently.
So you think our Pro12 (Magners League as it then was) title in 2008 was the reason Rocky signed for us?
Four Stars