Jamie Heaslip

Re: Tadhg Beirne

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinsterforever wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Provincial world is his oyster next summer

Connacht: definite starter
Ulster: probable starter
Munster: 1st choice 23 at worst
I think Connacht are pretty well stocked when it comes to second rows. They've got Dillane, Roux, Browne, Cannon and Thornbury.

In fact, we might end up with a similar thread to this one for Thornbury if he comes through well
Dillane is the only one I reckon is better than Beirne though. Would be straight shoot between him and Browne and Beirne wins that IMO
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jesus, the levels of wild hype are nagley coplandesque
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Dave Cahill wrote:Jesus, the levels of wild hype are nagley coplandesque

:lol:

Honourable mention to Ruaidhrí Murphy who got better the further away he was. The Wallabies can't believe he slipped through their fingers.

The grass is always greener as they say.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dont think its that hypey sic to say Beirne would be ahead of Alan O'Connor, James Cannon, Darren O'Shea, Gavin Thornbury
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ah Darren, did he realise last summer that he was just last years Robin Copeland or next years Tadgh Beirne
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Dont think its that hypey sic to say Beirne would be ahead of Alan O'Connor, James Cannon, Darren O'Shea, Gavin Thornbury
You can add Ian Nagle and Mick Kearney to that list. Ross Molony is debatable.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Dont think its that hypey sic to say Beirne would be ahead of Alan O'Connor, James Cannon, Darren O'Shea, Gavin Thornbury
All 3 kind of looking at make or break seasons, first two especially

Think we arguably have the strongest second row department of the 4 provinces, not sure when was the last time you could say that

Toner Fardy Ryan Molony Kearney Nagle
Kleyn Holland O'Shea Wycherly DOC2
Dillane Browne Roux Cannon Thornbury
Henderson Treadwell AOC Browne
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:Ah Darren, did he realise last summer that he was just last years Robin Copeland or next years Tadgh Beirne
All the movement in the Munster second row – Ryan to Racing, Foley to Pau, Chisholm retiring and Madigan being released - should play out well for O'Shea.

Kleyn will be a big player for them next season and Holland is ultra reliable, but past those two there's a lot of room for gametime and improvement. O'Shea was clearly getting the nod ahead of Sean McCarthy in selection [the latter only got two minutes of first class gametime this season, and is surprisingly only two months younger than the former], and they're the only four out-and-out second rows in Munster's senior squad heading into the summer.

A number of people have been saying for a long time that David O'Callaghan is going to do this and that as a lock, but he plays there very rarely and they will need him on the blindside next year. I don't fancy either Stander or O'Mahony having a full and productive provincial season on the back of a Lions tour. Erasmus is clearly not a big fan of Robin Copeland, either in the second row or in the backrow.

Wycherly looks like a player with a lot of potential but it's a big ask to step up straight from U20s rugby to a full season in the pros. There's also a big size disparity there: even if Wycherly is bigger than the 196cm and 94kg he's listed at in the Munster and Ireland websites, O'Shea is a huge man at 206cm and 120kg. Physical size is a massive deal in the second row.

I don't doubt that Erasmus will attract a good South African second row to Munster in the off-season, but I wouldn't be too dismissive of O'Shea having a decent year down south.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

simonokeeffe wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
All 3 kind of looking at make or break seasons, first two especially

Think we arguably have the strongest second row department of the 4 provinces, not sure when was the last time you could say that

Toner Fardy Ryan Molony Kearney Nagle
Kleyn Holland O'Shea Wycherly DOC2
Dillane Browne Roux Cannon Thornbury
Henderson Treadwell AOC Browne
I think that's more a reflection on how poor the talent pool in the second row is right now. A lot of big players have gone over a relatively short period of time and there is definitely a void there. Hopefully Ryan will step in to fill part of it. I'm not sold on any of Kearney, Nagle or Molony becoming international starter quality locks.

So essentially, we have 3 decent Pro12 players, an established international, a very old international back-row and a very young international prospect (with cap!) that everyone is praying his body can hold up to this level of rugby. I get the urgency in developing him, but he has had a lot of injuries, I hope they're not risking anything by pushing him too hard too soon.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Limerick Leader amongst others reprting Beirne is moving to Munster (with IRFU influence) after the coming season, also means Grobler is probably a place holder for him

Would be a good signing for them. Keeps Dillane in Galway too
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder who made that happen given that (as far as we know) they don't have a head coach in place for when he arrives.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder who made that happen given that (as far as we know) they don't have a head coach in place for when he arrives.
Nucifora via PGB?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That's not 100% true though.

There's only one real line of insight in the whole Limerick Leader piece:
'Leader Sport understands that Munster and the IRFU are hoping to bolster their second row options by bringing 24-year-old Scarlets Guinness PRO12 winner Beirne to the province for 2018/2019.'

They're reporting that they want to bring him back, that's about it.

The story was picked up by others, but no other original reporting as far as I can see.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:That's not 100% true though.

'Leader Sport understands that Munster and the IRFU are hoping to bolster their second row options by bringing 24-year-old Scarlets Guinness PRO12 winner Beirne to the province for 2018/2019.'

The story was picked up by others, but no other original reporting as far as I can see.
yeah there is a bit of 2 + 2 = maybe about it; Grobbler on one year deal, Holland not getting any younger, high profile Irish lock out of contract next summer
would say the IRFU are keen to have him back and playing for Ireland would mean a lot more to him than playing for Wales
and sure even if he hates Leinster for some reason then Munster is the perfect place to go
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:That's not 100% true though.

yeah there is a bit of 2 + 2 = maybe about it; Grobbler on one year deal, Holland not getting any younger, high profile Irish lock out of contract next summer
would say the IRFU are keen to have him back and playing for Ireland would mean a lot more to him than playing for Wales
and sure even if he hates Leinster for some reason then Munster is the perfect place to go
Speaking of that, Mark Flanagan could actually be available too. A line-out lock like him might suit Munster's needs well.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Not necessarily that IRFU want him back after one great season as he has had doesn't make him top priority all of a sudden. More relevant is that provinces signings need to be Irish qualified
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Armchair wrote:Not necessarily that IRFU want him back after one great season as he has had doesn't make him top priority all of a sudden. More relevant is that provinces signings need to be Irish qualified
I'm slightly surprised not to have heard yet of any Keltic Kiwis on their way to any of the provinces... Maybe that granny rule route will take a while to get up and running?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

From BBC

Tadgh Beirne has been offered a contract extension, says Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac.

Second row Beirne, 25, has been linked with Munster after playing a pivotal role in the Welsh region's championship victory last season.

The lock joined from Leinster and is being targeted by the team Scarlets beat in the Pro12 final in May.

"We've spoken to his agent and to Tadgh and offered him an extension on his contract," said Pivac.

"He has a bit of a dilemma in that he is playing so well that all of a sudden there are some noises coming out of Ireland.

"I don't think they wanted to know him 12 months ago, and that's why he came here to the Scarlets to get some regular rugby."
Beirne's Ireland ambitions

Beirne played 24 games in the 2016-17 season and scored a try as Scarlets beat Munster 46-22 in the Pro12 final at Dublin's Aviva Stadium.

Pivac believes any decision will be based on Beirne's Ireland international ambitions.

"He's one we will continue to talk to and he has another big season coming up here," said Pivac.

"If he doesn't back up his performances from last season then there won't be any noises coming out of Ireland.

"He wants to play for Ireland and who can blame him? We'll wait and see how that one pans out."
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Himself and Furlong are always having their name butchered.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Tadhg will be on the Ray Darcy show tomorrow night.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!