Dominic Ryan

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

carlow man
Enlightened

Dominic Ryan

Post by carlow man »

Signed for Leicester tigers. O'connor obviously rates him. Suited to premiership style of rugby. Hope it works out for him. Needs to kick start his career. Best of luck dippy!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Dominic Ryan

Post by Dave Cahill »

Great news, hope it really works out for him
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Nice. Good luck to him.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Ahh, was just on to ask what ya thought of him, we need a 7 badly hope he enjoys his stay.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Best of luck Dom. You deserve a good run.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Interesting see he's looking forward to workign with MOC again, he gave him a lot of credit for helping him develop as a player. Talented player, a victim of our depth in the back row, I'm sure he'll do well over there.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

he really isnt a 7 or at least a good one
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Yeh def a 6 or an 8. Not got the ground game for a top class 7. In the mould of ruddock but never got a run due to form, injuries and unlucky that it's probably the most competitive position in the squad. Could choose from 7 or 8 to play in the back row and nearly all can play 6 or 8. He's a good operator though and still young enough to have a good crack at the premiership. Is partial to a brainfart now and again though. If he sorts that out then could be a shrewd bit of business.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

tigerburnie wrote:Ahh, was just on to ask what ya thought of him, we need a 7 badly hope he enjoys his stay.
He'd be a Lewis Moody style 7 rather than a Back or Kronfeld
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

tigerburnie wrote:Ahh, was just on to ask what ya thought of him, we need a 7 badly hope he enjoys his stay.
Started his career with Leinster as a No 7. Captained Emerging Ireland in a Tournament in Bucharest in June 2014.
He played against Tigers in a pre-Season game in Welford Road when you beat us 37-14 in (August / September 2010) season 2010-11. He was in our Academy at that point, alongside players such as Ian Madigan, Jordi Murphy and Ian McKinley (now in Italy with Treviso). Think he made his debut away against Dragons in December 2009 alongside Kev McLaughlin and Jamie Heaslip. He was 19 years of age (dob Mar 1990). However, he faced real competition at No 7 from players such as Shane Jennings, Sean O'Brien and Paul Ryan and competition at No 6 from Rhys Ruddock, Kevin McLaughlin & Stephen Keogh. In last three years, he has tended to get more selections as a No 6.

At his best a very good carrier and ball winner at the breakdown. At 6'4'' and almost 17 st, he is a good line-out option and a fierce defender. However, he can be a bit of a penalty machine and has tended to like contact rather than space when he carries. Has had good seasons with Leinster and no serious long-term injuries. Would have been a very big fan favourite about 4 years ago.

Not unlike Lewis Moody as a player and, with a good forwards Coach and good pack leader, could claim a starting spot. He will certainly go with best wishes from Leinster supporters who would not fancy facing him in a game that counts
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:
More Joe Worsley.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Doesn't quite have the height or bulk to be a Joe Worsley. But on his day he's probably our most abrasive defender.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Worsley was only half a stone heavier and slightly taller than ryan so physically they are similar in size.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Delighted for him and hope it goes well. Still has plenty of years left too, would have been a great signing for anyone in the AP in my opinion. Just hope he stays injury free and can really excel at Welford Rd. if they can teach him to stop tackling with his face and giving away penalties then they'll have a brilliant player on their hands.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
More Joe Worsley.
Was trying to keep it Leicestery
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He's light but a physical beast and very up for contact. Has made some of the biggest hits I've ever seen.

He broke through early but hasn't had a good run of games for a while. Most of that is the insane competition from other guys breaking through but there have been a few badly timed injuries (but not bad injuries). I'd say some of his injuries have been a guy out of practice who's trying too hard to impress and going into contact wrong. He'd run into brick walls if you asked him to.

He's loyal and super hard working. He's popular but has frustrated with penalties.

He's crying out for a run of games to really hit form but definitely has it in him. I'd say his best position is 6 but he's a decent 7 if prone to being outfoxed. He could do from having a canny operator guiding him a bit.

Has a good chop tackle.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Personally, I rate Ryan as a 6, but not as a 7. I mean, he can fill in at 7, but he doesn't really have the smarts of an out-and-out openside. He's your prototypical blindside - big, strong, hard tackler, good in the lineout. I think I'd prefer to see Brendon O'Connor and, going by his performances at last years U20s World Championships, Will Evans at openside if I was a Leicester fan.

Ryan will probably be played at openside though, because that's where he got most of his gametime while MOC was here
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Good signing for Leicester. Good move for Ryan.

Delighted he got a good move and looking forward to seeing what he can do when given a real run of games.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

carlow man wrote:Signed for Leicester tigers. O'connor obviously rates him. Suited to premiership style of rugby. Hope it works out for him. Needs to kick start his career. Best of luck dippy!!
GO DIPPY :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Lets hope he doesn't come back to haunt us and do a Tadgh Beirne at some stage in the future.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote:He's light but a physical beast and very up for contact. Has made some of the biggest hits I've ever seen.

He broke through early but hasn't had a good run of games for a while. Most of that is the insane competition from other guys breaking through but there have been a few badly timed injuries (but not bad injuries). I'd say some of his injuries have been a guy out of practice who's trying too hard to impress and going into contact wrong. He'd run into brick walls if you asked him to.

He's loyal and super hard working. He's popular but has frustrated with penalties.

He's crying out for a run of games to really hit form but definitely has it in him. I'd say his best position is 6 but he's a decent 7 if prone to being outfoxed. He could do from having a canny operator guiding him a bit.

Has a good chop tackle.
Definitive assessment
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan