Scott Fardy joins Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Scott Fardy joins Leinster

Post by simonokeeffe »

They seem to have jettisonned anyone retiring or leaving at the end of the season and are looking at 2019

Major cull in second row with Simmons, Mumm, Skelton, Douglas not in it

Bit of a tangent but their squad is looking weak especially up front
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Leinster Lout wrote:Fardy hasn't been included in the Australia squad for the summer tests. Should mean he's not selected for the Rugby Championship so hopefully he can be here for the start of the season at least?
It simply means he hasn't been included in the Australia squad for the summer tests.
I know but it might suggest Cheika is looking ahead without him so he could well be omitted for the Rugby Championship.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Cheika dropped pretty much his entire cadre of locks for the June tests, but I wouldn't read too much into it. No coach takes any risks with selection for the major championships - come the rugby championship the likes of Douglas and Fardy will be back in the team.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Cheika dropped pretty much his entire cadre of locks for the June tests, but I wouldn't read too much into it. No coach takes any risks with selection for the major championships - come the rugby championship the likes of Douglas and Fardy will be back in the team.
Whatever about Douglas and explicitly Simmons getting aa kick up the backside Fardy hasnt been in the team for a while and is still leaving
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Haven't seen much of the australian teams in super rugby this year but I'm surprised at all that given that their pack was weak anyway. Struggling to think of good replacements for them.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Fardy was always going to be available from September 2017 from what I understood.

Looking at the other locks culled from Australia's squad, Simmons was never good enough, Skelton obviously had some special assets but used them inconsistently and is now off at a young age, and Kane Douglas oscillated from borderline world class to distinctly average. I never got the fuss about Dean Mumm either.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

neiliog93 wrote:Fardy was always going to be available from September 2017 from what I understood.

Looking at the other locks culled from Australia's squad, Simmons was never good enough, Skelton obviously had some special assets but used them inconsistently and is now off at a young age, and Kane Douglas oscillated from borderline world class to distinctly average. I never got the fuss about Dean Mumm either.
Mumm was very good.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought Simmons was excellent myself.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

From one of the Aussie rugby journos on Twitter:
No Fardy. Cheika says if he wasn't picked in run-on XV, he chose development guys in other squad spots. Says Fardy could still play in '17.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He doesn't have the required 60 caps to get into the squad from overseas. Nor can he get there by playing in the 4N. So he is gone from the Aus squad from the minute he lands.

Would Cheiks want him for the 4n seeing as he can't play in the WC? I suppose he could do it out of bloody mindedness
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't think he should anyway. His best form was a long while ago and he'll be 35 by the time the World Cup starts. Maybe he'll get a new lease of life in the second row for us and will still be a good squad option for Japan but I reckon it's a good time for both sides to move on.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thought Simmons was excellent myself.
same here, but Cheika is literally trying to gee this guy up/poke him with a stick in public
Luke Jones sic who was at Rebels but they were slow to cap so he effed off to France was really good too

Locks in current panel are Timani, Adam Coleman, Rory Arnold, and this new guy Tui

Theyre missing Palu, McMahon and Pocock from backrow too yet Fardy still not there
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sounds ominous. Very worried for both Oz and SA this year, both look to be in poor shape without much chance of improving over the next couple of years.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Timani is a number 8 - the lock is his brother who plays for ASM CA
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Sounds ominous. Very worried for both Oz and SA this year, both look to be in poor shape without much chance of improving over the next couple of years.
SA have France in the republic, I'd fancy the Boks for the series, and over the long term to be honest, if they get their transformation stuff in order properly it will open up a huge population to them.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Can't see that happening any time soon though. I see Faf De Klerk went to Sale, they just can't hang on to their players anymore. Whitely named as captain too, a very good player in his own right but shouldn't be anywhere near good enough to be a Springbok captain. Changing the coach could see a big improvement overnight but I just don't see things going well for them over the next year or so.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Timani is a number 8 - the lock is his brother who plays for ASM CA
If Paddy Johns can play both then so can he
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Timani is a number 8 - the lock is his brother who plays for ASM CA
If Paddy Johns can play both then so can he
One for the elder lemons! :happy clapper:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just watched Fardy v Rebels and am now getting worried as to why we recruited him. Certainly no sign of him playing in the row or having the physique to do so. Decent at line-out but that's it.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

He'll also be 34 years old when he starts. If he is a flop it would be no surprise. It would mirror a whole host of previous sloppy signings.