A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by desperado »

leinsterforever wrote:
desperado wrote:
Blueberry wrote:Agreed re DK - he's struggling with injuries and the kids are catching up and surpassing fast.

Big question for me is where Carbery plays - if the powers that be want him on the pitch while Sexton is at 10 (in our bigger games) then he's 15 and we have Lowe and Byrne on the wings.

A back three of Carbery, Lowe and Byrne is dangerous !!

with Isa, Rob K, O'Loughlin and other kids in support and Ferg !! Not too shabby really.
Off the Jame Lowe topic; but in reply to Carberry's position it's interesting to hear BOD say he thinks Carberry would be better played at fullback. Heard him on MNR on OFB maybe 2 weeks or so ago? The main point he was making was his attacking talents are better suited coming from fullback - unpredictable looseness, playing what space appears, step etc ; and that the at outhalf the more structured approach required means you may not be maximising his talents.
Maybe. But then again playing 10 didn't/doesn't seem to stop Carter and Barrett from running freely
That's not the point BOD was making (me rehashing :-)). It's not that playing 10 stops any running freely; but that getting possession at 15 is more conducive to the 'free spirit' - you'll generally have more time/space etc. There are much more strictures at 10; and the decision making on when to pass/kick/run is really what makes a great outhalf.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

James Lowe and McKenzie having a lot of fun tonight v waratahs.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

We need to give Carbery a long run at 10. Anything else is stupid and stubborn.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Fan with smartphone wrote:James Lowe and McKenzie having a lot of fun tonight v waratahs.
3 trys for Lowe made another 2 in 46-31 win. He was involved in 5 out of Chiefs 6 trys and his 2nd try was outstanding.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Raydollard wrote:We need to give Carbery a long run at 10. Anything else is stupid and stubborn.
Lowe is too good on the wing to put at fullback. We might well need to give Ross Byrne a long run at 10, based on Sexton's injuries, age and form (not questioning his ability one iota obviously). Carbery as a counter-attacking 15 where he has the time and freedom, and lack of responsibility, to maximise his attacking instincts. Byrne's superior game management, tactical and goal kicking, and physical presence in the defensive midfield channel arguably make him a better option at 10 at this point. Lowe and Adam Byrne on the wings, Henshaw and Ringorse 12-13, two of Dave Kearney, Rob Kearney, Isa Nacewa, Fergus McFadden and Rory O'Loughlin on the bench. Nick McCarthy to take the sub scrum-half spot ahead of JGP. That's a sexy backline for next season.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

We had a sexy team this year with all those tries but won nothing. But that was down to the forwards. Backs need bid improvements and Carbery is best placed at outhalf.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I really hope that Lowe is allowed do his thing and that we don't try to rein him in. He will cost us a few trys but will score plenty more. I reckon he could be worth the season ticket on his own.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

the spoofer wrote:I really hope that Lowe is allowed do his thing and that we don't try to rein him in. He will cost us a few trys but will score plenty more. I reckon he could be worth the season ticket on his own.
We already have a young winger who plays that role, another would be too much to carry.
Both Byrne and Lowe will need to both do their thing but also be solid on the other side of the ball. If they can both do that we'll have a serious backline threat for the first time in ages.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lowe will play mostly on the wing. Isa will probably play mostly on the wing but it might depend and his game minutes will drop compared to his peak.

Byrne et al will get reasonable time.

Rob Kearney returning would do a lot for the backline in the big games.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ronk wrote:Lowe will play mostly on the wing. Isa will probably play mostly on the wing but it might depend and his game minutes will drop compared to his peak.

minor tangent but do we even want Isa on the bench next season for full strength side?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I really hope that Lowe is allowed do his thing and that we don't try to rein him in. He will cost us a few trys but will score plenty more. I reckon he could be worth the season ticket on his own.
We already have a young winger who plays that role, another would be too much to carry.
Both Byrne and Lowe will need to both do their thing but also be solid on the other side of the ball. If they can both do that we'll have a serious backline threat for the first time in ages.
Don't tell me you are comparing Lowe with Byrne. Byrne has potential, Lowe is the real deal.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:
ronk wrote:Lowe will play mostly on the wing. Isa will probably play mostly on the wing but it might depend and his game minutes will drop compared to his peak.

minor tangent but do we even want Isa on the bench next season for full strength side?
Probably a hypothetical debate given the attrition rate in modern rugby. Isa's big positive is his versatility, he can play across the line and can kick.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Flash Gordon wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Probably a hypothetical debate given the attrition rate in modern rugby. Isa's big positive is his versatility, he can play across the line and can kick.
Aye but his form trailled off significantly as the season went on and hes not getting any quicker. Handy experienced player to have for league games when Carberry and RK are gone from the back 3 with Ireland
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was thinking that we might have Isa starting until Lowe arrives and then only being used intermittently. That sort of planning rarely works out as intended but we'll have so much competition that I just can't see Isa holding on to his place all season.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was thinking that we might have Isa starting until Lowe arrives and then only being used intermittently. That sort of planning rarely works out as intended but we'll have so much competition that I just can't see Isa holding on to his place all season.
Coaches will judge then obviously. You need 2 players per position of genuine quality with the way the game has gone physically and Isa is both durable and versatile so I see him still being an important part of our plans. I'd also say that we have a bit of a leadership deficit in the backline with the exception of Sexton and Rob who aren't great injury wise.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just to finish my thought there. Isa was poor at the end of the season but kept his place, with Adam Byrne, Ferg and ROL missing out at his expense at various times. Next season we could have Rob and Dave Kearney back too though, along with Lowe and Larmour. That's a lot of talent and experience to fit in. I know we'll pick up injuries again but still think the competition will be much stronger. Regardless of how Isa plays I think his appearances decrease.

It'll be interesting to see where Joey plays for Ireland in the summer. If he plays a fair bit at 15 then I'd expect him to keep playing there regularly for Leinster.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just to finish my thought there. Isa was poor at the end of the season but kept his place, with Adam Byrne, Ferg and ROL missing out at his expense at various times. Next season we could have Rob and Dave Kearney back too though, along with Lowe and Larmour. That's a lot of talent and experience to fit in. I know we'll pick up injuries again but still think the competition will be much stronger. Regardless of how Isa plays I think his appearances decrease.

It'll be interesting to see where Joey plays for Ireland in the summer. If he plays a fair bit at 15 then I'd expect him to keep playing there regularly for Leinster.
Last part is very interesting, would love to see Leinster AS WELL as Ireland play with a 2nd distributor at fullback
A fit DK with a run of games is still a very good player. Quandry though is he always seems ot play better with RK in the team
Ferg came back in good from at the end of the season
If Byrne could cut out the kamikaze defensive bite ins he'd be top notch
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just to finish my thought there. Isa was poor at the end of the season but kept his place, with Adam Byrne, Ferg and ROL missing out at his expense at various times. Next season we could have Rob and Dave Kearney back too though, along with Lowe and Larmour. That's a lot of talent and experience to fit in. I know we'll pick up injuries again but still think the competition will be much stronger. Regardless of how Isa plays I think his appearances decrease.

Events may have overtaken your post!
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

You've lost me...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:You've lost me...