The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by OTT »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Payne went down with his calf looking the problem. Could see an Irish player called in there.
I thought Payne was very good with a very aggressive defence in the first half.. I see most comments on different sites saying he was cr@p. The Lions could really do with a guy like Ringrose though especially for the fans to get behind.

Watching on a stream and popping in and out while in work it seemed like the Lions were a lot better then on Saturday. The line out and maul were good and you would hope will only get better it is still very early days. Itoje, Owens, Jack McGrath all put in good shifts from what I saw. Thought the back row were pretty ineffective although Stander stood up in defence with a few gainline stops. The Lions definitely lack some fire power out wide which was no big secret. I thought Halfpenny made his first break since 2009 but it turns out on the replay the guy actually slipped and it wasn't a side step at all aww. He will probably play in the tests because Hogg is a liability without the ball and the Lions probably wont have much of it which is depressing to think about. Rory Best geesh.

If they can make the same improvement again from what they have done between Sat and today then they should be competitive again against the Crusaders who will be another step up but they do lack that thing we can't quantify the x-factor or if we try to put a name on it something in the form of Garry Ringrose or his ilk.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions didn't win another game on the tour.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

CiaranIrl wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions didn't win another game on the tour.
Its a distinct possibility but they will improve as test and midweek teams are sorted out. Saturday probably most winnable game

Think Webb only stayed on so long as they dont want him near test team now. Kicked really poorly and took bad blindside options, most of which were Nowell who was so bad hes probably dragged down Tipuric on grounds of mistaken identity

Liam Williams outdid himself too

Good Irish news is our props are looking good
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Much better to be on holidays rather than with the Lions in New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lions Test team shaping up now. Based on two mediocre displays so far, it seems possible it might look like:
1. mcGrath
2. Owens
3. Furlong
4. Otoje
5. AWJ
6. SO'B
7. Tipuric
8.Falatea
9. Murray
10. Farrel
11. North
12. Henshaw
13. Davies
14. A N Other
15. Halpenny
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Murray? Really? He'll have to up his game considerably from where it was. Webb was pretty good today.
I have Bumbleflex
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

That selection - at least 5 starters for us - may be looking through green-tinted glasses I think.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Warburton will be starting instead of SOB. All three tightheads going well, Furlong probably edging it but Sinkler is looking decent. AWJ losing out to Lawes or Kruis right now. Teo will be preferred to one of Henshaw or Davies.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Henshaws kicking game is advantageous - Teo doesn't have that
I have Bumbleflex
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Henshaws kicking game is advantageous - Teo doesn't have that
I know that. And you know that. But does Warren know that?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

A couple of points I noticed.

Front row was dominant. Lawes was massive today. Itoge was very much meh. Itoge jumped out of the line to allow Williams through for their try at the end. Had he held his line it wouldnt have been a try. Lots of shouting but sod all impact.

Backrow were still ineffective. No real presence at the breakdown and limited carrying. Good defense but I think the lions really need O'Brien to get up to speed fast.

With regards to that last lineout. It wasnt a simple overthrow, we didnt even get a jumper in the air. Is that a system failure? or a Best error? Honest question.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I think Best threw too early
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Yeah johng, only saw it once, but my impression was timing. They went for a quick throw to surprise the blues, but the timing was all over the place. Not sure if that is on best or the lifters, but Best looks like someone who is acutely aware that his coaches dont trust his throwing. His body language isn't good and I'm not sure the elaborate call was even necessary - the blues didn't look like putting anyone in the air to compete anyway.

I felt pretty sorry for Gatland, because the players were doing some fairly plankish stuff at times. What was it, 2 penalties and a free kick at lineout in the first half alone? That was stupid, then sonny bill made Itoje (who had plenty of good moments too in fairness) look very silly after his celebrating. But Liam Williams rather stole the show. Near everyone would've picked him it seemed, it's not a controversial selection. You are looking to him to make a positive impact off the bench. He comes in and costs them 3 points. It's pretty stupid, but hands up and apologizes - fair enough. Then the same player, commits the same offence, in the same minute. He even has the neck to put a huffy face on him on the way off! It'd be enough to push any coach nuclear.

I feel even more stupider though. I backed the lions minus 6, despite saying for a year they'll do well to beat any of the super rugby teams.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Murray? Really? He'll have to up his game considerably from where it was. Webb was pretty good today.
Webb was mediocre but a big step up from Laidlaw. He kicked too far, took poor blindside options and was hesitant/slow getting ball away several times.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Itoje called it quickly trying to catch the Blues off guard. Best threw it once Itoje called it. The problem was the lifters were the only ones caught off guard. Sinckler never got near to getting Itoje into the air before the ball. Marler was only marginally more aware. You can see them reacting in panic mode when they realise what's happening.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Watson in pole position for 14
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

At a guess, we'll see an all England tight 5 (maybe Furlong), all Welsh backrow, and though he may have planned for an Irish half back combo, Farrell is currently in pole position. Then T'eo, Davies, North, dunno after that.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

ceemec wrote:Itoje called it quickly trying to catch the Blues off guard. Best threw it once Itoje called it. The problem was the lifters were the only ones caught off guard. Sinckler never got near to getting Itoje into the air before the ball. Marler was only marginally more aware. You can see them reacting in panic mode when they realise what's happening.
I would agree with that but Best did overthrow in a looped trajectory slightly too.

Thought Lions did well to survive Liam Williams yellow 56-66 mins but apart from the fatal line out Tipuric & Marler gave away unnecessary penalties near the end in good positions.

Jack Mc Grath had 10 tackles shortly before he went off & he was good as was Owens, Itoje, Lawes. Tipuric & Webb were good for most of the game but dropped off near the end

Sonny Bill Williams & Ricko Ioane best players on the field but if Henshaw & Payne are both covering left side defence Halpenny needs to be quicker to support Nowell for Ioane try.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

ceemec wrote:Itoje called it quickly trying to catch the Blues off guard. Best threw it once Itoje called it. The problem was the lifters were the only ones caught off guard. Sinckler never got near to getting Itoje into the air before the ball. Marler was only marginally more aware. You can see them reacting in panic mode when they realise what's happening.
Quickly me arse; have a look again. Why/or how on earth can you ''catch a team off guard'" who are patently not going to compete in the air; and waiting to defend the expected driving maul. The winning of the game for the Lions was going to be from a driving maul -- so; no ''trying to catch a team off guard'" - take you time; percentage throw to 2, secure posession, and maul like fcuk.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

backrower8 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Murray? Really? He'll have to up his game considerably from where it was. Webb was pretty good today.
Webb was mediocre but a big step up from Laidlaw. He kicked too far, took poor blindside options and was hesitant/slow getting ball away several times.
If the Lions are going to kick so much, Murray will get test place for his box kicking and physique in defence.