Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by leinsterforever »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
lummix wrote:That Fijian lad is a liability. Does a lot of headless running off by himself. I'm sure he's a great 7s player but doesn't seem to have it at this level.

Also Connacht should look at signing saili, they really need 2 explosive centres for the style they play. I think saili would excel there
I think Ronaldson at 12 is crucial to the way they've played. Remains to be seen as well whether Keane will favour a ball-playing 12 (which would push Aki to 13) or a truck it up merchant.

Tom Farrell looks good. He seems to be able to manufacture quite a lot of line-breaks
What was the verdict on Farrell when he was at Leinster? To me, he's very good with ball in hand but struggles in defence.
Yeah. There might be a bit of defensive weakness in his game. I'd need to see more of him
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Farrell has struggled all season with defense at Connacht. It's easy now to see why we let him go.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Looks like Boschoff is leaving for family reasons
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Apparently Gavin Thornbury is going to Connacht and another Scrumhalf called James Mitchell.
The acquisition of Mitchell follows Connacht’s capture of Irish second row Gavin Thornbury ahead of the arrival of new head coach Kieran Keane.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Very pleased to see Thornbury back in Irish system. He has developed his game well in NZ and is one of the few Irish developed second-rows with the physique to play at the top level (built like Jonny Grey) at 2.03 and 109-111kg.

Given that second-rows mature very slowly, it will be interesting to watch his progress under Keane.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Brive Worcester and Oyannax so no no easy away games at the very least
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:Brive Worcester and Oyannax so no no easy away games at the very least
Apart from Brive, Worcester and Oyonnax.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Brive Worcester and Oyannax so no no easy away games at the very least
Maybe by our standards
Insert usual cliches of French clubs at home
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Maybe by our standards
Insert usual cliches of French clubs at home
Placeholder for joie de Brive sub-headlines.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

:lol: very good!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

chapeau
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Connacht and the Irish Rugby Football Union have announced the signing of prop Peter McCabe for the 2017/18 season, who joins from Munster.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Another underwhelming signing. I'd be worried if I was a Connacht fan.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote:Another underwhelming signing. I'd be worried if I was a Connacht fan.
Jimmy Duffy is a good enough judge of front-five players to know what he's getting. He has also a very good track record in improving such players, so I wouldn't worry about the signing of an Irish THP with real size and the heart for hard work.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Another underwhelming signing. I'd be worried if I was a Connacht fan.
Jimmy Duffy is a good enough judge of front-five players to know what he's getting. He has also a very good track record in improving such players, so I wouldn't worry about the signing of an Irish THP with real size and the heart for hard work.
He's a loosehead. I'd imagine (hope) we'll sign another and McCabe will be third choice.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

To be fair, when he played for Munster, McCabe held his own easily in the scrum and in the loose. I thought he'd look off the pace myself but he didn't.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

McCabe is apparently 25 and has played one senior game hardly a huge prospect. I hope he does well but he's a squad player. Connacht need a big signing to try reinvigorate them after a terrible campaign.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote:McCabe is apparently 25 and has played one senior game hardly a huge prospect. I hope he does well but he's a squad player. Connacht need a big signing to try reinvigorate them after a terrible campaign.
Their "big signing" was a top quality Coach with proven expertise in re-invigorating old dogs and developing young players. Keane has left his comfort zone to take on this challenge and there should be real confidence in his ability to take on the task. His track record makes him the equal of three player signings.

Lest anyone doubt his pedigree, it's woth remembering that at Canterbury, he played between Wayne Smith (first five-eight) and Warwick Taylor ( 2nd-five eight). As a coach, he was in charge of NZ under-age teams and then Malborough and Hawks Bay before he moved to the Chiefs.

Only a small guy, he was a devastating tackler in his prime, and he has no fear of size in the opposition.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits
sunshiner1 wrote:
McCabe is apparently 25 and has played one senior game hardly a huge prospect. I hope he does well but he's a squad player. Connacht need a big signing to try reinvigorate them after a terrible campaign.

Their "big signing" was a top quality Coach with proven expertise in re-invigorating old dogs and developing young players. Keane has left his comfort zone to take on this challenge and there should be real confidence in his ability to take on the task. His track record makes him the equal of three player signings.

Lest anyone doubt his pedigree, it's woth remembering that at Canterbury, he played between Wayne Smith (first five-eight) and Warwick Taylor ( 2nd-five eight). As a coach, he was in charge of NZ under-age teams and then Malborough and Hawks Bay before he moved to the Chiefs.

Only a small guy, he was a devastating tackler in his prime, and he has no fear of size in the opposition.
I hope so but MOC had a quality CV as well so frankly it could go either way. That said I hope it works out for them.