Devin Toner

Re: 2017 -2018 Champions Cup Seeding

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Doc wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
matt wrote:Exeter Montpellier & Glasgow very tough

No it isn't.
Poor Ospreys !!!
You know you're in a tough group when Sarries are a team with one of the smaller budgets!
I have Bumbleflex
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Hard to call which match goes to the Aviva. Probably Exeter as cant see Montpellier having any travelling support and Glasgow are already in our league.

Would it be an option tom keep all 3 in the RDS and move the Ulster or Counnaght (novelty could sell well to them) game to the Aviva instead
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

R-Dog wrote:Hard to call which match goes to the Aviva. Probably Exeter as cant see Montpellier having any travelling support and Glasgow are already in our league.

Would it be an option tom keep all 3 in the RDS and move the Ulster or Counnaght (novelty could sell well to them) game to the Aviva instead
It'll be whichever is the december back to back fixture
I have Bumbleflex
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Laighin Break wrote:Not the worst
Maybe not the worst but not the best either. Will be a right catfight for the number 1 slot and I'd expect teams to take points off each other with a 4-2 win-loss possibly enough, bonus points will be crucial as second place in this group mightn't be enough. Son is off to Exeter doing a post-grad so grand excuse for a visit.

Munster should be reasonably happy with Castres no doubt giving up after they lose their first couple of games. Should defo qualify for QF. Ulster too can look to qualify though big improvement on this year needed.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

FLIP wrote:Exeter, Leinster, Montpellier, Glasgow

Looking forward to a trip to Exeter.
Had a fantastic time there the last time fine club great supporters !. Was hoping to draw them sick and tired of Coventry.
Flying wedge
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Tough draw, especially considering that Glasgow and Montpellier have excellent coaches lined up for next season. Rennie and Cotter are quality operators, although there'll probably be quite a big squad turnover at Montpellier, which might make things difficult for Cotter initially
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Have we ever gone to Glasgow full metal jacket? We always seem to send weakened sides there

Its a winnable group but low on chances of BPs. Me thinks an away quarter final beckons

Wasps Sarries Munster/Racing Toulon home qfs
Leinster Clermont Racing/Munster Bath/Scarlets away qfs

Ulster to come second but not qualify
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote:
R-Dog wrote:Hard to call which match goes to the Aviva. Probably Exeter as cant see Montpellier having any travelling support and Glasgow are already in our league.

It'll be whichever is the december back to back fixture
I'd assume we'll try to have Exeter as the back to back December games - biggest draw of that lot. I would like to have Montpellier at home in the first two rounds and play them away in January (with Glasgow vie versa) - prefer to have the French team at home while they are still interested and play them away when they possibly have less interest
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That'd be the ideal alright
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It'll be interesting to see how Leinster-wannabe Donnacha Ryan goes on his return to Limerick with his second choice destination
I have Bumbleflex
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

That is a difficult group. Montpellier have recruited well and will have Cotter coaching them next season. They'll be a tougher side than the one we faced this season. Exeter have proven over the last few years to be a tricky side too. Glasgow is probably our only chance at an away win. This group will be a case of teams taking points off each other and will be very interesting as a result. It could have been worse, but it could have been better too. Have we gotten an Italian team once in the last 20 years?

Starting to think getting drawn in Clermonts group might have been easier. That would have meant facing either Leicester or Bath from tier 3. They'd be easier than Montpellier.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

footrush wrote:
FLIP wrote:Exeter, Leinster, Montpellier, Glasgow

Looking forward to a trip to Exeter.
Had a fantastic time there the last time fine club great supporters !. Was hoping to draw them sick and tired of Coventry.
Same here - one of the best away trips I've had. Granted that might be the copious Cider from the Old Fire House talking..
Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:It'll be interesting to see how Leinster-wannabe Donnacha Ryan goes on his return to Limerick with his second choice destination
Hmmm might overshadow Racings assistant coach and who wants that
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

simonokeeffe wrote:Have we ever gone to Glasgow full metal jacket? We always seem to send weakened sides there
HEC 2011-12?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

molloyjh wrote:That is a difficult group. Montpellier have recruited well and will have Cotter coaching them next season. They'll be a tougher side than the one we faced this season. Exeter have proven over the last few years to be a tricky side too. Glasgow is probably our only chance at an away win. This group will be a case of teams taking points off each other and will be very interesting as a result. It could have been worse, but it could have been better too. Have we gotten an Italian team once in the last 20 years?

Starting to think getting drawn in Clermonts group might have been easier. That would have meant facing either Leicester or Bath from tier 3. They'd be easier than Montpellier.
+1
Probably three of the best and most successful Coaches in the Tournament. This group will be a real challenge with all four teams focussed on European success.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

molloyjh wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Have we ever gone to Glasgow full metal jacket? We always seem to send weakened sides there
HEC 2011-12?
Firhill 2012 mud bath in a soul less soccer pitch !.
Flying wedge
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Would expect us to be favourites and to top that group. It's a good draw and we have chances to beat them all away.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

As a Glasgow fan I think it's a very tough group. I think there's less drop off in the 4 teams than other groups.

In saying that our super duper new coach won't be arriving until well after the season has started so it could be another long, frustrating season next year.

Schedule the Dublin leg sensibly and if we're still in with a shout a decent number could travel.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

footrush wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
HEC 2011-12?
Firhill 2012 mud bath in a soul less soccer pitch !.
Loved Huenden the first time , beautiful spot !.
Flying wedge
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

HEC 2011-12?[/quote]
Firhill 2012 mud bath in a soul less soccer pitch !.[/quote]
Loved Hughenden the first time , beautiful spot !.[/quote] Sorry spelt it wrong would be nice to go back there , think the bar was closed because it was a Sunday , anyone else at that game , a few years ago now ?.
Flying wedge