Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by simonokeeffe »

So IRFU offered to pay two thirds of Ryan's wages so looks clearer and clearer he wanted new experience, wages gap with Munster top up (plus Ireland bonuses) would have been very small
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Joe pretty much said that he'd accomplished everything he wanted here and wanted a new experience.

He also said he'd spoken to him and Ryan knew the IRFU's stance on foreign players, but then said about the door not being closed :lol:

I wonder if any journalist has asked him why Sexton was able to keep playing for Ireland while he was away but that it doesn't seem to apply to anyone else? We all know now important Sexton is, but I wonder if anyone else would be able to do the same?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Joe pretty much said that he'd accomplished everything he wanted here and wanted a new experience.

He also said he'd spoken to him and Ryan knew the IRFU's stance on foreign players, but then said about the door not being closed :lol:

I wonder if any journalist has asked him why Sexton was able to keep playing for Ireland while he was away but that it doesn't seem to apply to anyone else? We all know now important Sexton is, but I wonder if anyone else would be able to do the same?
Conor Murray, maybe Henshaw
Theyre the only 2 as far ahead of the next man as Sexton was
Worth remembering its against PRL rules to release guys outside of the designated windows
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:So IRFU offered to pay two thirds of Ryan's wages so looks clearer and clearer he wanted new experience, wages gap with Munster top up (plus Ireland bonuses) would have been very small

Shut up. Mick Galwey knows, for a FACT, that Donnacha didn't want to go. He says he didn't talk to Ryan but he knows it for a fact. FACT. He, and all the other voices in the Munster media echo chamber, are more credible sources than you.
http://www.the42.ie/donnacha-ryan-munst ... 0-Apr2017/
It's frankly ridiculous that Jamie Heaslip got a contract, as he points out, even if he no longer has piercings (don't know if this is true. DO NOT WANT TO KNOW).

Joe Schmidt's Leinster bias makes money work different somehow. Also: Nucifora.
Last edited by fourthirtythree on June 1st, 2017, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Joe pretty much said that he'd accomplished everything he wanted here and wanted a new experience.

Conor Murray, maybe Henshaw
Theyre the only 2 as far ahead of the next man as Sexton was
Worth remembering its against PRL rules to release guys outside of the designated windows
Furlong. Murray.

And in that order. Sexton would most likely not be able to now.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ryan is closer to Furlong than Marmion is to Murray or Scannell/Marshall to Henshaw I reckon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I disagree about Ryan, he's seriously untried compared to Marmion plus we now have a tiny bit of depth at 9. Ryan might be reliable next year and then it's Bent.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:I disagree about Ryan, he's seriously untried compared to Marmion plus we now have a tiny bit of depth at 9. Ryan might be reliable next year and then it's Bent.
Hes not got that many caps but I think hes muh closer in ability but most importantly being able to execute the same gameplan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster Rugby's improved fortunes result in healthier finances
Results on the pitch lead to cash-flow surplus
Colm Kinsella, Rugby Correspondent
MUNSTER’S improved on-field fortunes this season has resulted in the province predicting a cash-flow surplus of €310,000 for the year to the end of June.
That figure is in stark contrast to 12 months ago when Munster showed a cash-flow deficit of €1.93 million in their financial accounts.
Munster had budgeted to break even this season, so the projected cash-flow surplus is a significant boost for the province.
In presenting the financial update at this week’s AGM, Munster Rugby Head of Finance and Operations, Philip Quinn, discussed the main drivers behind the expected improvement year-on-year with gate income increasing by €2.05 million on the 2015/16 season.
The Maori All Blacks game in November and home knock out games in both the Champions Cup and Guinness PRO12 accounted for most of the gate income increase.
Although much of this was directly offset by associated match costs, regular season income also improved with seven sell-outs across Limerick and Cork.
Taking both Maori and Toulouse encounters into account, Munster enjoyed a total of nine capacity crowds in 2016/17, a new record for the province.
As a consequence, tickets sales for Thomond Park and Irish Independent Park rose by 52% to 305,000. Attendances increased from 124,000 to 243,000, with the attendance rate climbing from 62% to 80% of tickets sold.
This in turn benefitted ancillary revenue streams such as bars, catering, hospitality and match programmes.
Additionally, as part of a long term investment to promote the game among younger supporters, Munster allocated just shy of 5,000 reduced priced Junior tickets to every Thomond Park game in 2016/17.
The AGM heard that professional team costs continue to rise, primarily due to inflationary player wage increases and injury cover during the season, while the successes on-field saw an upsurge in player win bonuses and incentives.
Much of the latter was however offset by ensuing sponsorship bonuses and a significant increase in funding from the IRFU who Munster continue to work closely with.
In conclusion, Quinn also cited improved kit and retail partnerships with adidas and Life Style Sports, and Munster Rugby Commercial Board initiatives – including the Patrons Programme – as substantial financial drivers in the 2016/17 season.
Also at the AGM, Charlie Buckley, of UCC RFC, was elected President of the Munster Branch for the incoming season.
Good news for Munster, and I suppose for the rest of us too.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

did snigger at mention of cost of injury cover

that said I hope they can keep up the attendence rate, excluding knockouts theyd want at least 6 sell outs in TP
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

simonokeeffe wrote:did snigger at mention of cost of injury cover

that said I hope they can keep up the attendence rate, excluding knockouts theyd want at least 6 sell outs in TP
Are we allowed to snigger at them any more?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's a welcome move in the right direction, still a few things in there that aren't great news.

The additional income almost entirely came from the 3 one off games and there was also a significant increase in IRFU funding. A surplus is effectively then just moving money around for accounting purposes.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

deco wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:did snigger at mention of cost of injury cover

Are we allowed to snigger at them any more?
Yes
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Just hope they can keep the wheels on the bandwagon for the "best bandwagoners" sorry meant fans, honest, "in the world.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

According to the Indo, Rassie was seen checking out one way flights to SA.

It would be a knock for Munster if true.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

olaf the fat wrote:According to the Indo, Rassie was seen checking out one way flights to SA.

I wonder how long it is before this becomes Joe's or even Jamie Heaslip's fault.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:According to the Indo, Rassie was seen checking out one way flights to SA.

I wonder how long it is before this becomes Joe's or even Jamie Heaslip's fault.
My money is on Nucifora being the scapegoat
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

And Rassie is yet another import who "bought in" to whatever completely thing Munster offers. Already on munsterfans, the knives are out and words like treason are being thrown around.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't blame them to be honest, said he was staying and now it looks like he's off. I said at the time the rumours emerged that it would be poor form to leave early but the one caveat to that would be the timing of it. I know the Indo said he's triggered the 6 month clause but it also said that they weren't sure when he'd actually go and that he might even stay for he season. If that's happens then fair enough, but a report in SA said he could be back as early as next month.

Look I get that it's his home country and it sounds like they're bending over backwards to get him back, but from a career POV I think it's a bad move. He's only 44 and still has plenty of time to lead the Boks. I would suggest that seeing out his contract and moving back after the World Cup would be a much better idea. Hard to see where he could go after managing the Boks, and history says that he wouldn't be there for too long.
Topdawg
Learner

Post by Topdawg »

Rebels confirmed a few days ago that tony mcgahan is leaving the franchise at the end of the season ....find all the rassie rumours annoying he said towards the end of last year he will be staying and if that changes he will make an announcement so untill then I won't be panicking ideally if we were able to keep nienaber it wouldn't be as bad worse possible timing all the same.