Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Peg Leg »

Ah here 433, I've just discovered it, i'd rather catch a few Gene Hackman and Jack Nicholson classics before I hit up the Kirsten Stuart catalogue.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oh right. They are all must see classics so.

Walter Murch is the star of the conversation though, Hackman just acts in it! I think he's responsible, with Lucas's ex wife, for the good films Lucas did too.

In general I don't go for retro nostalgia in culture, particularly when it is about repetition of things you did when you were young. That bores me. I have no interest in 80s music, film or art. Unless it is something that was genuinely unknown to me at the time.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:Oh right. They are all must see classics so.

Walter Murch is the star of the conversation though, Hackman just acts in it! I think he's responsible, with Lucas's ex wife, for the good films Lucas did too.

In general I don't go for retro nostalgia in culture, particularly when it is about repetition of things you did when you were young. That bores me. I have no interest in 80s music, film or art. Unless it is something that was genuinely unknown to me at the time.
1989 batman was the only batman that I never got to see in the cinema (age prohibited). So as a big batman comic fan as a kid that was a sore point that I got to redress.
70's and 80's classics were not on my radar until my teens (in the 90's) and began to form my impression of good cinema and story (the hitcher with Rutger Hauer the perfect capture of both). So I'm looking forward to watching a few of my favourites on the big screen.
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

You never saw the original movie in the cinema? With the shark repellent batspray (as referenced in the recent Lego Batman movie)
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:Oh right. They are all must see classics so.

Some films are timeless and well worth watching more than once.
Back To The Future is one such film.
The original Planet of the Apes.
Gone with the Wind
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:You never saw the original movie in the cinema? With the shark repellent batspray (as referenced in the recent Lego Batman movie)
I class that as a special edition of the series. Which had a permanent place in the video player on the weekends. Still have the vhs
Daniel Sullivan
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

fourthirtythree wrote:You never saw the original movie in the cinema? With the shark repellent batspray (as referenced in the recent Lego Batman movie)
Brilliant! Reminds me of watching the TV shows with all the fight sound effects flashing up on the screen. Eartha Kitt as Catwoman still has an affect on me! What a voice! :D
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

In the jacks at the matchImage
Daniel Sullivan
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

Peg Leg wrote:In the jacks at the matchImage
:D :D :D
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

For years, even decades, past the jingoism of the English media has made many of the sporting acheivements of that nation hard to take and some more than others.

However, having watched the interview of Justin Rose, the runner-up to Sergio Garcia in the Masters, and listened to the unbridled celebration of the Sky Sports English commentary duo at Sergio's eventual attainment of a Major golf tournament, I am in awe at how even-handed they have been when "their" man came up empty handed.

Whether one is a golf fan or not, any sports fan loves the story of the perennial loser getting a day in the sun. Garcia did it in great style but Rose (and Sky Sports) were most gracious in defeat. Well done to all.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:For years, even decades, past the jingoism of the English media has made many of the sporting acheivements of that nation hard to take and some more than others.

However, having watched the interview of Justin Rose, the runner-up to Sergio Garcia in the Masters, and listened to the unbridled celebration of the Sky Sports English commentary duo at Sergio's eventual attainment of a Major golf tournament, I am in awe at how even-handed they have been when "their" man came up empty handed.

Whether one is a golf fan or not, any sports fan loves the story of the perennial loser getting a day in the sun. Garcia did it in great style but Rose (and Sky Sports) were most gracious in defeat. Well done to all.
Rose is a class act. Tells it like it is but never puts anyone down or blames anything other than himself when it goes wrong. I watched on BBC and they were equally as gracious/celebratory of Sergio's win. I also thought Danny Willett's giddy reaction to giving Sergio the jacket was excellent.. usually the previous winner is stone faced and miserable but he was delighted to share in a fellow pro's win.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Ruckedtobits wrote:For years, even decades, past the jingoism of the English media has made many of the sporting acheivements of that nation hard to take and some more than others.

Golf really is the only sport the Brits (aka the English) seem to embrace as Europeans. This is mainly due to the brilliance of guys like Steve in the early 80s who made the Ryder Cup competitive after the B&I had been having their arses handed to them for about 50 years. That said it's noticeable how when we first started winning consistently about 20 years back, all the guys were bedecked in EU flags, whereas for the last 8 it's all become about carrying individual nation flags after victory.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:A step in the right direction https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/20/ftc-t ... or-brands/
Roll on the death, hopefully by slow Revenue audit, of the #influencer
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Watching the untouchables with a bourbon cocktail. Fvckin heck if this movie is in anyway true to life Eliot Ness was a total pr!*k. Still a great movie though :)
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Passing my driving test.

Happy Days.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

IanD wrote:Passing my driving test.

Happy Days.
Your dogs will be disappointed
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Voivod in the RIverside, Newcastle last night - awesome!!!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Turns out those lads in UCD were right all along.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:Turns out those lads in UCD were right all along.
Que?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles