Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by Dave Cahill »

Carbery missed two months after the saints game in Northampton - we were down to one, academy, outhalf
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:Or we back the talented centres in the academy to step up in the short term, somehow I think this is more likely.
Yep - I think we'll see Tom Daly to back up Noel Reid and Conor O'Brien to back up Rory O'Loughlin, with Jimmy O'Brien in the mix as a Reid-esque No12 as well.

It's a massive blow, to be frank. We're in huge trouble if we pick up another injury in midfield. Aside from Reid [82 Leinster appearances], there's absolutely no experience there.

We could well be looking at moving Ferg back in to midfield, which is very much a short-term fix. I always thought that Isa could do a job at either first or second centre as well, which might be an even shorter-term fix, but it gets an experienced head [with all the skills] into the midfield. He played a few games at No12 for Auckland and the Blues a long, long time ago – back in 2005 and 2006 [source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player_2047.html ]. Not sure it's a runner, but it might come under consideration.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:Carbery missed two months after the saints game in Northampton - we were down to one, academy, outhalf
Our 2nd choice outhalf in the academy. Surviving that injury situation without ending our season early was an outstanding achievement made possible by academy players stepping up and outplaying seasoned pros they were up against. Just because it happened once doesn't mean it'll happen every time.

Bodies can be found for almost any injury crisis. It's a matter of being competitive, which we'll struggle to be if we get injuries. The next guys up can be trusted in the big games, the ones after that might on a good day, after that we'd need miracles.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

We're in huge trouble as it is, Ferg has bad passing/distribution and is easy to defend in heavy traffic.
Back to our chronic problem of getting over gainline in midfield/no physical options, going to have to use semi obvious ploy of backrower off lineouts or bring byrne off his wing a lot. McFadden would suffice for an exit play
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:If we weren't allowed sign an outhalf last year when we didn't have a single senior outhalf available, we aren't going to be allowed sign a centre when we have at least three on hand
Did we actually ask last season?

Of course there was a view here that there was no need for any cover. Byrne and Carberry stayed fit and we were spared the worse case scenario. I note there's already a post that 'we'll be grand...'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought it worked out pretty well in the end. Ross Byrne accumulated good experience that probably served him well in some pressure situations later in the season. He wouldn't have picked up so much gametime if a medical joker had been signed, and the team could have been in massive trouble if they'd had to throw Byrne sans experience in at the deep end in a pressure game after the joker had departed.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The Sean Cronin to 13 campaign starts here
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I could see us being allowed to sign someone and not use them like Munster with Sean Doyle in 2015 (IIRC) or us with that prop Saffer Van Whatisname (also in 2015/6 IIRC).
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:If we weren't allowed sign an outhalf last year when we didn't have a single senior outhalf available, we aren't going to be allowed sign a centre when we have at least three on hand
Which is why I said: if we were Munster, we would be allowed to sign one.
I like that, unlike them, we are not dependent on the IRFU for our existence. But I don't see us being competitive in Europe without our first choice 12-13...and possibly 10.
I think Byrne, Reid and O'Loughlin will be more than good enough for most Pro12 fixtures if they stay fit. Daly hasn't shown enough at this level yet for me to judge.
It is a very threadbare cupboard to have at the start of the season though.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

leinsterforever wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Did we actually ask last season?

Of course there was a view here that there was no need for any cover. Byrne and Carberry stayed fit and we were spared the worse case scenario. I note there's already a post that 'we'll be grand...'

I thought it worked out pretty well in the end. Ross Byrne accumulated good experience that probably served him well in some pressure situations later in the season. He wouldn't have picked up so much gametime if a medical joker had been signed, and the team could have been in massive trouble if they'd had to throw Byrne sans experience in at the deep end in a pressure game after the joker had departed.
Yes- we got away with it. Until irony of ironies, Sexton came back for the semi and stunk the place out.

I can't say Byrne struck me as being ready for the the number one position yet. But hopefully he is a more rounded player as a result of the exposure.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Jeez I don't think any country complains about their squad options as much as Irish people do...the more I think about it the more I realise when I look at the champions cup the only game I'd really fear for Leinster in the pool with that centre partnership is Montpellier away, Glasgow home and away I wouldn't fear (Although they now have Huw Jones in the centre so they are now a different proposition there). Exeter while premiership champs are not a strong enough side to compete in both the champions cup & pro12, last year and the year before they were shite in the champions cup but the year before they snuck through because other results went their way.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Everyone when talking about the O'Briens I presume are talking about Jimmy & Conor but I'm wondering could Tommy also come into the equation, 2 years younger yes but definetly has the highest ceiling of the 3 and I wouldn't rule out a Joey Carbery rise for him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I think Byrne quite obviously improved over the season, hopefully he can continue that improvement.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Last season we had an injured Henshaw, a relatively new Ringrose and Reid.

This season we have an injured Henshaw/Ringrose combo, Reid and a relatively new ROL.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

any word on Sexton & O'Brien's injuries ? they had scans on Monday, have heard nothing since.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

For some Friday nostalgia...surprising cap numbers for some on here

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/teams/histo ... er-squads/
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Cathalsmart wrote:Everyone when talking about the O'Briens I presume are talking about Jimmy & Conor but I'm wondering could Tommy also come into the equation, 2 years younger yes but definetly has the highest ceiling of the 3 and I wouldn't rule out a Joey Carbery rise for him.
No. His priority this year is to develop physically while not losing speed and footwork. He may get some chances at A level but I would imagine his priority is to be the number 1 inside centre with the Irish u20s and to have a good AIL season.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

It appears as if Tadhg Furlong has had an op on his thumb. Not great news for a prop.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

El Diablo wrote:
Cathalsmart wrote:Everyone when talking about the O'Briens I presume are talking about Jimmy & Conor but I'm wondering could Tommy also come into the equation, 2 years younger yes but definetly has the highest ceiling of the 3 and I wouldn't rule out a Joey Carbery rise for him.
No. His priority this year is to develop physically while not losing speed and footwork. He may get some chances at A level but I would imagine his priority is to be the number 1 inside centre with the Irish u20s and to have a good AIL season.
It will be interesting to see how he does develop physically.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Barry wrote:any word on Sexton & O'Brien's injuries ? they had scans on Monday, have heard nothing since.
SOB is reportedly fine no issues and like other lions are in line to return in October even Henshaw. Ringrose is the one for concern and unplanned for.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

paddyor wrote:I could see us being allowed to sign someone and not use them like Munster with Sean Doyle in 2015 (IIRC) or us with that prop Saffer Van Whatisname (also in 2015/6 IIRC).
Max Van Dyk did get to play once.