Fringe Players Impact

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Fringe Players Impact

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

Who do we think out of our current crop of fringe players could make a bigger impact this season?

Tom Daly
Seems to have the size capabilities and impressed last year against some of the lower level players, could get a bit more game time this season given Henshaw & Ringrose injuries?

Barry Daly
Started very well last season before the red card & tough Munster performance on Stephens Day, proven to be a great finisher and also looked to be improving defensively towards the end of last year, I think Daly could make a good impact this year but will be tough behind new wingers.

Byrne Twins
If they can stay fit I also think the Byrnes could be a great asset this year!

Cathay Marsh
I reckon there's too many people ahead of him at this stage, valuable asset at A level but needs to really kick on this year if he has any hope of staying next season.

Peader Timmons
A casualty of our richness in the back row, always seemed incredibly solid at A & club level though.

What do you all think?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Post by simonokeeffe »

Tom Daly has best chance largely due to to highest probable amount of gametime. Then prop Byrne. But cant see them dislodging anyone
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Daly will definitely get the best opportunity to shine whether he is capable of grasping that opportunity is another thing. He has all the physical characteristics needed to make it. It is a make or break year for him one way or another needs to bo impress to be kept on for the following season
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Armchair wrote:Daly will definitely get the best opportunity to shine whether he is capable of grasping that opportunity is another thing. He has all the physical characteristics needed to make it. It is a make or break year for him one way or another needs to bo impress to be kept on for the following season
Is this Tom or Barry you are referring to?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Can't see any of those lads having much of an impact i'm afraid.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Leinsterlunatic wrote:
Armchair wrote:Daly will definitely get the best opportunity to shine whether he is capable of grasping that opportunity is another thing. He has all the physical characteristics needed to make it. It is a make or break year for him one way or another needs to bo impress to be kept on for the following season
Is this Tom or Barry you are referring to?
Tom
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see any of those lads having much of an impact i'm afraid.
I think Ed Byrne could go places if he could stay injury free.

It'll be interesting to see where Barry Daly is after some more time in a pro set up. He could be a useful option, depending on how much Leinster will need to call on him
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see any of those lads having much of an impact i'm afraid.

It'll be interesting to see where Barry Daly is after some more time in a pro set up. He could be a useful option, depending on how much Leinster will need to call on him
what places? He won't overtake Dooley/Healy/McGrath.

If he could throw, he might be a good hooker but that won't happen.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

More interesting:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote:More interesting:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)
Cathal Marsh might get some opportunities early season off the bench behind Byrne if Carbery's still injured. It'll be interesting to see what sort of level he's at
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)
I'm thinking James Ryan will be more than just a fringe player next season
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Leinsterlunatic wrote:Who do we think out of our current crop of fringe players could make a bigger impact this season?

Tom Daly
Seems to have the size capabilities and impressed last year against some of the lower level players, could get a bit more game time this season given Henshaw & Ringrose injuries?

Barry Daly
Started very well last season before the red card & tough Munster performance on Stephens Day, proven to be a great finisher and also looked to be improving defensively towards the end of last year, I think Daly could make a good impact this year but will be tough behind new wingers.

Byrne Twins

Cathay Marsh
I reckon there's too many people ahead of him at this stage, valuable asset at A level but needs to really kick on this year if he has any hope of staying next season.

Peader Timmons
A casualty of our richness in the back row, always seemed incredibly solid at A & club level though.

What do you all think?
If Bryan Byrne could ever improve his lineout throwing he could leapfrog a few of other hookers. Ed Byrne could be a fine player but, as with Timmons, he has too much competition in his current position
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Laighin Break wrote:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)
I'm thinking James Ryan will be more than just a fringe player next season
He is a fringe player right now, by mid season who knows.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on July 20th, 2017, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)
Cathal Marsh might get some opportunities early season off the bench behind Byrne if Carbery's still injured. It'll be interesting to see what sort of level he's at
Marsh isn't good enough and never has been.

Carbery will be good to go start of the season unless he gets injured again.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote:
Leinsterlunatic wrote:Who do we think out of our current crop of fringe players could make a bigger impact this season?

Tom Daly

Barry Daly

Byrne Twins

Cathay Marsh

Peader Timmons

What do you all think?
If Bryan Byrne could ever improve his lineout throwing he could leapfrog a few of other hookers. Ed Byrne could be a fine player but, as with Timmons, he has too much competition in his current position
BB has proven he can't throw consistently, shame as he has a good all round game.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

leinsterforever wrote:

I honestly think Barry Daly will push on this season, Ica & a few others we're singing his praises last season at the start of the year, I do also think all of our fringe players struggled without competitive B&I Cup after Christmas so hopefully the A's can push on in this, this year.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

mildlyinterested wrote:
cormac wrote:

Tom Daly

Barry Daly

Byrne Twins

Cathay Marsh

Peader Timmons

What do you all think?
BB has proven he can't throw consistently, shame as he has a good all round game.
Hasn't held back many other hookers
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

You're a
mildlyinterested wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

what places? He won't overtake Dooley/Healy/McGrath.

If he could throw, he might be a good hooker but that won't happen.
You love an auld speculative 'convert him to hooker' for anyone under 6'2 don't you :lol:
How many is it now?! Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney, Timmons, Boyle, Ed Byrne. Anyone else?! We'd have a feckin team of hookers!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

instead they struggle to develop players there, i wonder why?

maybe if we tried to convert more players to that position it wouldnt be a gaping hole for leinster in terms of developing talent there.

leinster are doing it this year at u20 level with 3 of the 4 u20 hookers former LH props at schools level.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gotta convert em all!