Pro 12 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Pro 12 - General Thread

Post by Dave Cahill »

offshorerules wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I would be stunned beyond belief if any organisation Leinster's size didn't have a marketing manager - it would be simply astonishing. Whatever about the individuals in the roles, the roles themselves are a vital component of any commercial organisation
They do as far as I know.
Sorry, that was in response to the suggestion that they were doing away with the role entirely
I have Bumbleflex
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

faceman wrote:Hadn't seen anything about playing the two Irish teams in the other conference home & away! Where did you see that stated?
I'd seen the opposite http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/gbrenn ... l-derbies/

Problem is until they actually announce the new format we're all in the dark
Pundit Arena....... :roll: Not the most reliable source.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/887330387919286272

Welsh rugby journalist - useful guy to follow for the latest info.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Dave Cahill wrote: Leinster will play the remaining 5 teams in the other conference home or away on alternate years, that means at worst a further two home games bringing the total to 10 or 11 depending on the season.
Unless you keep the teams in each conference the same each year, how do you ensure the number of home games evens out for each club each year though?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Betway odds for Guinness Pro12 winner:
Leinester 15/8;
Munster 3/1;
Scarlets 11/2;
Cheetahs 11/1;
Glasgow 11/1;
Ospreys 11/1;
Ulster 11/1;
Southern Kings 14/1;
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

It's possible the delay is waiting to see if there'll be one or two Italian teams next season. The rumours of Zebre players not getting paid for the last couple of months cannot help planning a structure and schedule.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What possible logic is there to have the Cheetahs as fourth favourites to win a Pro12?

They'll be battling with Embra, Dragons, Connacht and Cardiff for a mid table spot at best.

As for the Kings :lol:
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

wixfjord wrote:What possible logic is there to have the Cheetahs as fourth favourites to win a Pro12?

They'll be battling with Embra, Dragons, Connacht and Cardiff for a mid table spot at best.

As for the Kings :lol:
The Kings finished above the Cheetahs this year in Super Rugby. 11th 28 points v 13th 21 points. Both finished above the Bulls who were 15th with 20 points. Mid table seems a reasonable target for both sides. To put some balance on this the Cheetahs had to play v the NZ sides this year with the Kings playing v the Aussie sides. When this was reversed last year, the Cheetahs were 14th with 21 points and the Kings 17th with 9 points.

The Bulls in 2016 played v the Aussie sides and got 42 points over the season, missing the playoffs by 1 point. Compare that with their efforts this year.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
Plus one
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hadn't thought about this until now but how weird will it be when the SA teams play each other? Nobody over here will give a sh!t.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Peg Leg wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:It's not just the number of games though, it's the quality. We may not see Glasgow Scarlets or Ospreys in the RDS because they may be in the other conference and they are our away games. I have no problem with the expansion but am really against a Conference.
Plus one
Count me in along with the hen and we both reckon conference system is a mess.
The non conference interpro matches will be a non event unless IRFU take them seriously, feck if there is one thing we love about our old league is the day trips to Dublin and Limerick and the weekends in Galway, Parma and Treviso.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

rooster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Plus one
The non conference interpro matches will be a non event unless IRFU take them seriously, feck if there is one thing we love about our old league is the day trips to Dublin and Limerick and the weekends in Galway, Parma and Treviso.
Having made the interpros on a par with HEC in terms of quality generally I can't see how the IRFU would allow them to be split, the interpros are the biggest games in the league if they go the league but especially the provinces and the paying fans suffer
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

The addition of the two SA teams seems to be an act of madness on so many fronts. The only marginal advantage that I can identify is a little bit of exposure to SA conditions for some players. The promised slew of funds will only be believed when lodged in the bank.

Leaving aside the foolish and potentially devastating conference idea, what benefit will the existing clubs get from this change? I can just imagine the scenario: Leinster have a crucial European game coming up and the internationals are just back from bruising AIs or 6N. Leo wants, as is the norm, to play them in the Pro12/14 the week before the ECC match but it is an away match at altitude in Bloemfontein with a 3 flight God knows how long journey there and back.

When this experiment eventually fails, and it (to adopt GT's favourite word) assuredly will, the League's credibility will suffer a massive blow.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Hadn't thought about this until now but how weird will it be when the SA teams play each other? Nobody over here will give a sh!t.
Similar to when the Italian teams play each other.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Laighin Break wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Hadn't thought about this until now but how weird will it be when the SA teams play each other? Nobody over here will give a sh!t.
Which usually merits a quick thought as to who Newport will be duking it out for 10th.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Laighin Break wrote:
Or Cardiff playing Dragons.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
Or Cardiff playing Dragons.
The "Catalan Dragons" as they were referred to in todays Times article about the league being contrived.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

TerenureJim wrote:
rooster wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Plus one
Having made the interpros on a par with HEC in terms of quality generally I can't see how the IRFU would allow them to be split, the interpros are the biggest games in the league if they go the league but especially the provinces and the paying fans suffer
If some of the matches don't contribute to league points do you honestly see the teams taking those matches seriously ? You can hype it up all you like but they will just be another friendly
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

rooster wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
rooster wrote:Count me in along with the hen and we both reckon conference system is a mess.
If some of the matches don't contribute to league points do you honestly see the teams taking those matches seriously ? You can hype it up all you like but they will just be another friendly
I don't think there is any suggestion the interpros will have no league points... 21 games all part of league points.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

To include all the extra interpro matches for league points then the Scots, Saffers and Italians will be sick looking at each other making up the same number !