Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by Armchair »

Laighin Break wrote:
paddyor wrote:I could see us being allowed to sign someone and not use them like Munster with Sean Doyle in 2015 (IIRC) or us with that prop Saffer Van Whatisname (also in 2015/6 IIRC).
Max Van Dyk did get to play once.
Wont happenwe wont get permission to sign medical joker unless Henshaw has serious relapse even then maybe not
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Johnny good to go for preseason according to Indo

Played third test with broken wrist and second half of said game with damaged ankle tendon!
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Hopefully no shoulder Op necessary for SO'B, or we would have heard more info by now.

Let's hope that he and J10 make a full recovery without surgery and return with full appetite for Leinster's assault on Europe and Pro14. In France, MontP have never had a pre-season like this one and Hinesy and Cotter are demanding a fierce level of commitment. Baxter has also issued similar edicts in Exeter. One tough Season ahead so we need all the big guns with real hunger to perform.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Hopefully no shoulder Op necessary for SO'B, or we would have heard more info by now.

Let's hope that he and J10 make a full recovery without surgery and return with full appetite for Leinster's assault on Europe and Pro14. In France, MontP have never had a pre-season like this one and Hinesy and Cotter are demanding a fierce level of commitment. Baxter has also issued similar edicts in Exeter. One tough Season ahead so we need all the big guns with real hunger to perform.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Hopefully no shoulder Op necessary for SO'B, or we would have heard more info by now.

I saw on twitter him saying he wouldn't be at the Carlow Summer camp because he's on holiday. so fingers crossed.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Brumbies out of Super Rugby, hopefully Fardy will be making his way north after a bit of a break.

Lowe's Chiefs playing today, but he's staying for NPC right?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote:Brumbies out of Super Rugby, hopefully Fardy will be making his way north after a bit of a break.

Yep, Lowe won't be here until November. Fardy could still be selected for Australia in the Rugby Championship. Otherwise he should be available for the start of the season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Brumbies out of Super Rugby, hopefully Fardy will be making his way north after a bit of a break.

Yep, Lowe won't be here until November. Fardy could still be selected for Australia in the Rugby Championship. Otherwise he should be available for the start of the season.
barring an injury crisis or slightly more likely Cheika telling a few other guys to f off by throwing furniture at them I'd say there's very little chance of Fardy playing the Rugby Championship
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote:

Jaysus I'd say that's not going to happen.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

wixfjord wrote:
cormac wrote:

JaysusI'd say please tell me that's not going to happen.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

No still the former.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if the Ulster news will affect us much. Not saying this is how the coaches are thinking, but personally I'd have pencilled Joey in for more time at 15 and Ross Byrne for more time at ten. With Jackson being unavailable and Rob back, I could foresee a phone call from Joe telling us that we need to play Joey at ten.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if the Ulster news will affect us much. Not saying this is how the coaches are thinking, but personally I'd have pencilled Joey in for more time at 15 and Ross Byrne for more time at ten. With Jackson being unavailable and Rob back, I could foresee a phone call from Joe telling us that we need to play Joey at ten.
Could very well be right

I like us having a second playmaker at fullback but with the centres we are missing I like the extra attacking threat from 10
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if the Ulster news will affect us much. Not saying this is how the coaches are thinking, but personally I'd have pencilled Joey in for more time at 15 and Ross Byrne for more time at ten. With Jackson being unavailable and Rob back, I could foresee a phone call from Joe telling us that we need to play Joey at ten.
Possibly alright. Joey's injured at the moment so the challenge to Ross is "show us and Joe that you're undropable".
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Possibly alright. Joey's injured at the moment so the challenge to Ross is "show us and Joe that you're undropable".
he was injured, not sure he is anymore.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Could very well be right

I like us having a second playmaker at fullback but with the centres we are missing I like the extra attacking threat from 10

It doesn't work for us though. The way we play and the players we produce function well with orthodox halfbacks and not so well with the more freespirited types.
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Could very well be right

It doesn't work for us though. The way we play and the players we produce function well with orthodox halfbacks and not so well with the more freespirited types.
Doesn't it? I don't think our backs cohort is without the capacity to adopt to differing styles of half back. Hard to say who we will be able to play in the centre at the moment; Fergus, Reid...?

But with Lowe joining us in November (?) we will hopefully have a bit more of that unorthodox factor in the back three.

Anyway, needs must- and I'm looking forward, slightly nervously, to what LEO and Girve decide to address our injuries and IRFU demands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think the centres we are missing for the start fo the season changes things

if we have a slow/non breaky 10 (Byrne),a non physical 12 (Reid), and a small 13 (ROL) thats hard to attack with/easy to defend against unless the forwards are winning the game all by themselves
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Carbery and Reid is a very interesting 10/12 combo. Very light, but it'd mean a lot of wide/wide attacking options and space for the likes of ROL and Byrne.

I do think the pack are going to have to win us some games at the start of the year though. It should be good enough to too. Pending having the Irish guys back straight away (which I think should be fine?) we could be looking at
Healy, Cronin, Bent, Fardy, Toner, Ruddock, VDF/Leavy, Conan/Heaslip with L McGrath at 9.

That won't start every game, but even with a few variations should be enough to dominate most sides in the league.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Carbery and Reid is a very interesting 10/12 combo. Very light, but it'd mean a lot of wide/wide attacking options and space for the likes of ROL and Byrne.

I do think the pack are going to have to win us some games at the start of the year though. It should be good enough to too. Pending having the Irish guys back straight away (which I think should be fine?) we could be looking at
Healy, Cronin, Bent, Fardy, Toner, Ruddock, VDF/Leavy, Conan/Heaslip with L McGrath at 9.

That won't start every game, but even with a few variations should be enough to dominate most sides in the league.
I think we might miss Toner and Heaslip at start of season due to PROJECTED gametime